Rumored March launch of high-res 'iPad 3' portrayed as 'completely accurate'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for the next iPhone, Gruber believes it will be a completely redesigned model that will arrive in late 2012, like the iPhone 4S. He doesn't expect that the new iPhone will have a larger display, but he does see Apple including an even better camera than is in the iPhone 4S.

I like Gruber. He is right more than wrong. He also will admit when he was wrong, which I predict will be the case regarding the iPhone's current screen size. I don't necessarily see Apple upping the overall footprint of the phone, but it can do things like remove the home button to make room for the larger screen (or relocate it to the sides).

Apple's phone fits nicely in one's hands, but the larger screen phones are extremely attractive especially with men. Apple can have both. Moreover, historically speaking many Apple rumors such as larger screen size take root a year or two before they actually bear fruition. The illuminated key boards is one example. There were rumors reported about that at least a year and half before it came to life. I remember because I waited and each update I was disappointed. Product development takes time. The same was true regarding the Mac Mini. Rumors started appearing at least a year a head of time.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Wait what. Gruber made it very clear in his 2011 post that the notion of a September iPad update was his guess and gut instinct - not something he had inside knowledge about. There’s a big difference between him clearly saying that and confirming what he’s heard from sources inside Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

As long as it will slip into my pocket and not break when I sit I am happy. My Brother's Galaxy S broke on his second time of sitting, but the damn thing is way to big and too tight in the pocket. Yes, we are a family divided. LOL

I see that being a real problem for people who keep phones in their front pocket. The iPhone is already tight in my pocket. Increased size would increase the pressure on the phone, potentially cracking the phone in half. This is even more so for a phone that both the front and back is glass.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

As for 0.5" - i.e. 4.0" diagonal ... I see it as marginally larger. But, as described here - http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20110708203600, Apple might do this without increasing the physical width of the phone (i.e. using the previously much-rumored edge-to-edge display). On the other hand, they lose the Retina Display. It seems non-Applesque to introduce an iPad with a display with a higher pixel density and yet decrease the same feature on the iPhone.

I've addressed the width issue and the Retina Display issue in the past.Bottom line: It's all good at 4" if you consider 20/20 vision and a 12" viewing distance. Also, the HiDPI iPad at 264 ppi is also Retina Display quality.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Wait.. Didn't Gruber said the exact same thing last year? (iPad in March and iPad Pro in Oct).

I think he just realized how silly that sounded. The truth is Apple will only release one major iPhone update and one major iPad update every year.

His speculation was based on iOS 5 being released in September and HP being competitive. As we now know, HP wasn't. Further, his thinking was that it made sense to update the what would than be stale iPad 2 and iPod touch around the same time iOS was slated to be updated, which fell before the Holiday season. That might have turned out to be wrong, but it wasn't silly. It probably would have saved some iPad sales from turning to Kindle Fire sales. Especially if Apple lowered the price of the iPad 2. Gruber also made that prediction in 02/2011. He like just about everybody else probably assumed Apple would release the iPhone 4S around the same time it normally had before (in June). If Apple had done that, Apple undoubtedly would have wanted to go into the holiday season with some just released ultra cool product. That is if it wanted to have a blow out Christmas Quarter (which I have been told is important for the stock price). A several months old iPhone and a refresh of a diminishing product like the iPod wasn't going to help it do that. If the iPhone was released in June, an updated iPad made sense. I would be surprised if Gruber would have kept his prediction once he knew the iPhone wasn't going to be released in June.

Moreover, Apple may have indeed intended what Gruber speculated (I doubt it). It might not have. There, however, were rumors that Sharp was having trouble producing acceptable yield of retina quality displays for the iPad 3 and Apple was stockpiling displays until it had an acceptable amount. If so, Apple could have changed plans. We certainly will never know for sure.

Gruber's comment about the iPad 3 was mostly just poking fun at Digitimes, which Gruber constantly points out seems to just make stuff out. Just about everybody thinks Apple will release an iPad update the same time it generally does.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Gruber isn't an analyst, people. He's a blogger.

You might want to do some homework on Gruber and and realize he is very talented, a systems programmer, well versed in iOS5 and competition.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You don't need any connections or contacts at Apple to guess that the next iPad will arrive about a year after the last one or to predict that the resolution will increase. You could also extrapolate that it will have probably have better cameras, Siri, faster CPU and GPU as well. duh...

As to his last prediction, I would be shocked if the next iPhone doesn't have larger than a 3.5" screen. No, Apple won't make a 4.65" monstrosity, but certainly something in the 3.8" to 4.1" range seems not only plausible but very likely.

The fact at they didn't change the screen size this year should tell you something.

It should tell you that Apple decided what the best size was, and they're NOT changing it just because some "competitors" think they can edge out Apple with a few extra pixels.

I think it's entirely likely that iPhone 8 will have the same 3.5." screen.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I'm utterly stunned at this article. Pathetic. I thought you were better than this guys.

An entire article about John Gruber's article about a DigiTimes article. Really?

Gruber may be well connected but his word isn't gospel. He simply has something so many in the 'analysis' blogosphere don't have: perspicacity.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Back in June of this year, Jeffries claimed 66%.

I wish I had got 3G on mine.... Sigh \
  • Reply 50 of 75
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    If Apple goes with the same size screen, needless to say many people are going to be disappointed. After all 4" is now more like the norm. Hopefully Tim Cook realizes that keeping up with the competition in certain features is a must as well as creating great hardware.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Seems unfathomable to think that the iPhone 5 won't have a larger display. Only budget smart phones now have 3.5" screens. All the mid to high end stuff has 4" or higher.

Having played with a Galaxy Nexus, the 4.6" screen is a perfect size, and doesn't seem unwieldy or overly large. It helps that the phone is super slim of course, and much more comfortably shaped in the hand than the boxy iPhone 4/4S. I wish Apple would just give people a choice of screen size. Choice is good, give us a 4" and a 4.5" option.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

You don't need any connections or contacts at Apple to guess that the next iPad will arrive about a year after the last one or to predict that the resolution will increase. You could also extrapolate that it will have probably have better cameras, Siri, faster CPU and GPU as well. duh...

As to his last prediction, I would be shocked if the next iPhone doesn't have larger than a 3.5" screen. No, Apple won't make a 4.65" monstrosity, but certainly something in the 3.8" to 4.1" range seems not only plausible but very likely.

I take it you've never used a Galaxy Nexus. It's 4.6" screen is so much easier on the eyes than the iPhone's tiny screen. And the size, for me at least, and I have average sized hands, is ideal.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    So one guess is confirmed because of another guess?
  • Reply 54 of 75
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The fact at they didn't change the screen size this year should tell you something.

It should tell you that Apple decided what the best size was, and they're NOT changing it just because some "competitors" think they can edge out Apple with a few extra pixels.

I think it's entirely likely that iPhone 8 will have the same 3.5." screen.

exactly. People need to stop thinking like the competitors, that are strewn along the supertechhighway.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I guess so.

?

• Reply 56 of 75
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    I'm thru with tablets. When is MacBook Air 15" coming out?
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

Tell him the 80's are over and to stop wearing skin tight jeans. ...

You are out of touch. After almost 20 years of ridiculously baggy clothing being in style, we are now back to skinny or fitted-to-the-body clothing.

It's been that way for the last three years at least. Anyone still wearing their jeans at half mast, or baggy chinos with oversized tshirts etc., is completely out of style and has been for a while now.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I take it you've never used a Galaxy Nexus. It's 4.6" screen is so much easier on the eyes than the iPhone's tiny screen. And the size, for me at least, and I have average sized hands, is ideal.

You must use both hands to operate the phone though. It would be awkward otherwise. I have largish hands and there is no way I can reach the top right of the screen with my thumb when holding it in my left hand even on a 4" screen let alone 4.6".
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

It's called "second guessing"
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are out of touch. After almost 20 years of ridiculously baggy clothing being in style, we are now back to skinny or fitted-to-the-body clothing.

It's been that way for the last three years at least. Anyone still wearing their jeans at half mast, or baggy chinos with oversized tshirts etc., is completely out of style and has been for a while now.

Well in younger circles it seems to be a confused mesh of baggy skinny jeans. People around 25+ seem to like fitted jeans.

Urban people are all confused and suburban is a mesh of fitted (been that way for a while) and skinny.