RBC exec said to be a "lock" to replace RIM co-chairmen

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

You may want to take a look at Canadian banking and how it's doing relative to the rest of the world -- besides, they're only proposing her as chairwoman, ...

You seem to be one of the few who gets that point around here.

With respect to the Canadian banking system, however, I don't how much credit she can take.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    It would be awesome if she got the job and she personally uses an iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I don't think anyone wants to see any company or product fail but I think RIM and their co-CEOs have displayed an astonishing capacity for hubris over the last couple of years and, as a result, have practically invited people to dance on the company's grave. Seriously, you don't dismiss your competitors as "amateur hour" when you're getting your ass handed to you. A little humility and a real effort to take the changes in the smartphone market seriously would have gone a long way.

Anyone at RIM right now who has talent and creativity (and doubtless there are many despite the apparent fact that their leadership isn't listening to any of them) will have no trouble leveraging their time at RIM to find a better job elsewhere. Despite the last couple of years, having RIM on your resume is a good thing. It's not the end of the world for their employees.

End of the world? No. But getting an equivalent job in this market, regardless of talent, is not as easy as it once was. Certainly not easy without moving. Again, not end of the world but families will be adversely affected unless the company turns around. So why not root for that scenario. It would be a win-win-win. Win for the industry. Win for consumers. Win for RIM employees. Any other sentiment would be akin to piling on.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

End of the world? No. But getting an equivalent job in this market, regardless of talent, is not as easy as it once was.

well, it appear to be plenty in Bay area... Check job posts in that neck of woods you would find engineers are in high demand. (not sure about marketees or CEOs;-)
  • Reply 25 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    A banker to replace a failed tech company. What could go wrong?

Let me guess, the first thing this RBC exec will do will be "restructuring".

Never mind actually stopping to think what the heck is it BlackBerry is anymore.

Is Canada stuck in the early 2000's or what?

It's like that episode on How I Met Your Mother... Where a certain character's aversion to shopping malls is revealed. To jump to the chase, one of the best lines in the episode, brutal but funny, is... "The 80's didn't come to Canada until the 90's" :
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It's always possible to find someone willing to take command of a sinking ship.

Of course, as long as you give them a diamond-encrusted life jacket.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Let me guess, the first thing this RBC exec will do will be "restructuring".

There you go, I read the article, the first thing she will do is "she will initiate a formal strategic review".

Formal

Strategic

Review

HALLELUJAH PRAISE THE GAWDS! RIM IS SAVED!

In all fairness if RIM is not completely toast in five years and she is still in charge, then I take my hat off to her and will eat my words. From my armchair though, the odds are not good.

Quote:

possibly trim costs in the hardware business

Yes it's all too easy to pile on RIM... You mean it's been costing them a lot to churn out nonsense? I feel for the engineers but as the open letter from the RIM employee mentions, it's also the management that has gone awry. If it is costing them 120% of x dollars to make stuff that's outdated and unattractive, what will 50% of x dollars do? Half a Playbook?!

Clearly the problem is the co-chairmen, co-CEOs, the board and a ton of other things only the underlings at RIM know, which isn't public yet. "Immolation" is probably the only thing that will save them. I feel for the people that are going to or are close to losing their jobs... But as someone said, hey, if you've been working at RIM I guess you've been paid to look for another job for at least a year now.

I sound brutal but something is very, very fishy. First the open letter. Then the "committee review" or whatever. Then the review recommends a new Chairperson which they think will first do... wait for it... ANOTHER REVIEW. Only thing this time it is "strategic". Oh and they are going to cut costs. Because that will definitely help them make more sales, right? Oh wait...

It took a doctor (okay, psychiatrist) to tell me the first time I heard it: Common sense is not common.

That's why some people, when trying to rebel, actually do things others may not expect but innately enjoy. Weird, isn't it.

I sat through half an hour of ads and trailers before the movie came on today at a local cinema. Not a good sign for the cinema industry. 15 minutes, I understand. But half an hour is pushing it. Piracy and online distribution... Well, let's face it, piracy... has ripped apart the movie industry. As for BlackBerry though, I'm not sure who they can blame but themselves.

I guess what irks me is not mismanagement but this has clearly gone into the realm of outright fraudulence.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    clauclau Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apparently more than the current guys.

The mistakes made were typical business mistakes, like taking several years to even begin to respond to the threat posed by iPhone and then making a lot of dumb-ass mistakes in terms of basic implementation followed by setting unrealistic expectations and then crowing all about how great your stuff was when it clearly wasn't. It's not their strategy that the board disagrees with (so far), it's just their business performance.

Even though this is a good move though it's far to late for RIM. They may try to get that "London" phone out the door, but if that doesn't wow the market right out of the gate, they will be out of the phone hardware market in a year or two. They've already left the tablet hardware market.

I agree. Jimbal was dreaming of owning hockey time in Canada while Stevie was dreaming of how to improve life for mankind knowing he might not have much time left...And to think that I supported Jimbal's quest initially until signs of neglect for his company started to appear...Sigh, I'm afraid it's already too late.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I sat through half an hour of ads and trailers before the movie came on today at a local cinema. Not a good sign for the cinema industry. 15 minutes, I understand. But half an hour is pushing it. Piracy and online distribution... Well, let's face it, piracy... has ripped apart the movie industry.

I don't even understand 15 minutes. Show me one trailer if you must, but I paid to watch the movie. If I'd wanted to watch commercials I'd have stayed home and turned on the TV.

Same thing with those shiny discs you offer for sale at my local big box retailer. If I buy a disc and discover that I can't skip the 10-15 minutes of commercials at the beginning then I'm going to find an alternate source for your next film.

As for RIM, they couldn't have picked a better person to come in and be stymied by the situation.