LG releasing Google TV-based smart TV as Apple television rumors swirl

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought Ars was one of your generally trusted sources? Personally I'm interested in their opinion of it.

Will Ars have staff on hand fluent in Chinese on hand to give a comprehensive review of this television? Even if the reviews are glowing it has nothing to do with other languages It's like me saying that Siri will work well for Xhosa because it works well for English.

PS: Don't you know by now I question everyone and everything.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Will Ars have staff on hand fluent in Chinese on hand to give a comprehensive review of this television? Even if the reviews are glowing it has nothing to do with other languages It's like me saying that Siri will work well for Xhosa because it works well for English.

PS: Don't you know by now I question everyone and everything.

Yes, I know.

I was just a little surprised you were so dismissive of it before knowing anything but a spec list. Perhaps if they're lucky, Ars will get an English demo of it.

EDIT: I know at least secretly you're pretty curious about it. You always have an interest in innovative products as long as I've been here.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:

I was just a little surprised you were so dismissive of it before knowing anything but a spec list. Perhaps if they're lucky, Ars will get an English demo of it.

It's only in Chinese and it's being demoed at CES.... in Las Vegas... Nevada... in the US. It sounds like its primary attraction is an attempt at one-upping Apple based on unsubstantiated rumours, a common theme at CES over the last several years. That's why I'm dismissive.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Quote:

It's only in Chinese and it's being demoed at CES.... in Las Vegas... Nevada... in the US. It sounds like its primary attraction is an attempt at one-upping Apple based on unsubstantiated rumours, a common theme at CES over the last several years. That's why I'm dismissive.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

That's what CES is for. Dozens of companies hold off on product announcements until the hi-profile event. What better venue for free press? (Other than an Apple event).

They've done that since well before Apple was of much concern to very many of them.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Quote:

EDIT: I know at least secretly you're pretty curious about it. You always have an interest in innovative products as long as I've been here.

I'm openly curious* and fully willing to admit it if my inference about this TV is incorrect but that doesn't mean I won't make deductions.

* Don't infer! You know what I mean.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:

I'n openly curious* . . .

* Don't infer! You know what I mean.

Here's hoping that doesn't make it into somebody's sig,
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:

That's what CES is for. Dozens of companies hold off on product announcements until the hi-profile event. What better venue for free press? (Other than an Apple event).

They've done that since well before Apple was of much concern to very many of them.

I forgot about catching up to Apple's previous year's products with products hopefully released sometime in the next year.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Google just doesn't get the essence of TV viewing.

it is NOT about proactively searching for stuff. that takes effort. so you do it at your computer "workstation."

it is about lazily soaking up whatever you enjoy/want with as little effort as possible. e.g. "i want my MTV." plug and play is where it's at.

i hope Apple grasps this difference too.

This is exactly what we were discussing at work yesterday. One of the reasons that I've hung onto my ancient Tivo (DirecTV) DVR receiver is because it has a fairly decent ability to provide and record suggestions based on my viewing history. Maybe there are other services that will do something similar. But I'm pretty satisfied with what this one does... I just want something more advanced now. With a new TV, I'd be willing to pay extra to get that.

The old joke about "500 channels and nothing to watch" rings even truer today. Quoting specs and doing geek bench racing to prove that my new Apple TV is superior to whatever else is out there interests me about as much as watching an episode of Keeping Up With the Kartrashians. But if "cracking the code" has anything to do with a TV that has some measure of predictive ability in looking for and providing me with the (limited) TV content that still interests me, that's for me. It should do what my girlfriend doesn't do: ask me what I like and then spend ALL of its time (while I'm away) looking for it.