54% of future smartphone buyers say they'll choose Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    My daughter has finally given up on non-iPhone options and will be getting one in a few months when her current contract is up.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post

I do think AppleZilla is right, the people who buy Apple products (including me) are low educated or female.

It's not about specs, it's not about the brand, it's about the status you get with an iPhone.

That's the reason I bought my iPhone.

Keep getting paid to write tag lines. You'll do great in local politics where the true lowest common denominator voter resides.

The end-to-end quality of the product speaks for the interest and return interest.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    21% is missing. What are they buying?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Or for a different view based on the same data.

Interest in iPhone drops 17% in 3 months, while the number of people planning on buying samsung has increased 160% in the same period.

The 2 survery results leave large chunks unlisted. Below are the totals for the 2 surveys, leaving us 18-20% unknown each time.

Sep 2011 - Totals 80%

Dec 2011 - Totals 82%

Figuring Apple's portion based on the given totals:

65/80 = 81.25

54/82 = 65.85

Actual percentage drop:

18.95%

Count my wife and I as 2 of the people planning iPhones soon. Filing taxes at the end of the month and getting them. New iPads and MacBooks (Pro or Air, depending) this spring. I think the assumption of pent up demand for the next iPhone driving the September poll higher makes sense and the extra blurb about Apple never having this high a "I plan to buy" percentage 2 months after a new product launch speaks well of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And I'm neither, so there goes your argument.

I think you missed the sarcasm involved in that post.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post

I do think AppleZilla is right, the people who buy Apple products (including me) are low educated or female.

It's not about specs, it's not about the brand, it's about the status you get with an iPhone.

That's the reason I bought my iPhone.

Talking about an invalid statement...high-end Apple products are being compared to the BMW of mobile phones/computers, and people who generally buy Apple not only wants quality but EXPECTS top-notch QUALITY with excellent resale value (and not just superficial status) which of course Apple delivers big-time!

Therefore, the typical profile of Apple users (target market) are not the low-educated, cheap, pizza-eating individuals, but most likely those that have discriminating tastes, and can afford expensive, yet QUALITY products--mostly in the middle, upper middle, highly educated and wealthy class of society!

PS

Of course I can't discount the fact that there are a sprinkling of low-educated and female Apple users just like YOU, who buy Apple for the perceived status lift they get...lol!
  • Reply 26 of 48
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where do they find these future people?

In Phone(y) 'BLaBLaLand', a few missed calls beyond the ''Bridge on the River K'why' ".
  • Reply 27 of 48
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Yeah it's typically the case that what people say they will buy is different to what they actually buy. But it's still a shift regardless.

correct -- it's the change in a measure like this that matters more than the level.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    IPhone Built for China Telecom Gains Regulator Approval

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24750..._approval.html

China Telecom and China Unicom together have about 320 million mobile subscribers
  • Reply 29 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What was left out of this article was the chart showing Apple interest over the time since the iPhone first came out. While these numbers bounce up and down, varying from highs and lows often relating to when new phones come out, and afterward, the trend is clearly up.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/09/...-to-iphone-4s/

People who look at the numbers from just the two last quarters and gloating about the drop, are failing to see the reality.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What was left out of this article was the chart showing Apple interest over the time since the iPhone first came out. While these numbers bounce up and down, varying from highs and lows often relating to when new phones come out, and afterward, the trend is clearly up.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/09/...-to-iphone-4s/

People who look at the numbers from just the two last quarters and gloating about the drop, are failing to see the reality.

Really the only thing that the numbers reflect is consumer awareness for lack of a better term. Obviously actual purchases don't follow the stated future purchasing preferences. Instead a report like this just indicates what has the consumer's attention at the moment. Samsung was barely on anyone's smartphone radar until recently, so they've done a fairly good job at garnering attention the past couple of months. More consumer's know who they are and some idea of what they offer compared to September. That won't necessarily equate to sales, but it's obviously good if people know who you are.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where do they find these future people?

In the future. ChangeWave has a time machine
  • Reply 32 of 48
    This is also interesting, and shows that it's not so much Apple, but the other Android manufacturers who have to worry about Samsung.

http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/01/08/samsung-vs-google/

Will Android eventually become a Samsung exclusive to all intents and purposes? Could be!
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Really the only thing that the numbers reflect is consumer awareness for lack of a better term. Obviously actual purchases don't follow the stated future purchasing preferences. Instead a report like this just indicates what has the consumer's attention at the moment. Samsung was barely on anyone's smartphone radar until recently, so they've done a fairly good job at garnering attention the past couple of months. More consumer's know who they are and some idea of what they offer compared to September. That won't necessarily equate to sales, but it's obviously good if people know who you are.

What they do state is the purchasing trends. Please. app,e's sales have been sharply up over the years, and sales do follow this trend.

But, I do agree that ninterest, and intent to buy doesn't match the actual percentage. It's lower for all manufacturers. But, again, it's the trend that is correct. And the trend for Apple is up.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What they do state is the purchasing trends. Please. app,e's sales have been sharply up over the years, and sales do follow this trend.

I don't think they're indicating any purchasing trends are they? Only indicating what someone today thinks they might want for a smartphone sometime in the future, with no direct correlation to what they really do.

If there was a one-to-one relationship, Android-based smartphones couldn't logically be outselling the iPhone since I've never seen them as the preferred choice in any survey like this.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Another interesting report of sales, or expected sales.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/09/ios...n-octnov-2011/
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think they're indicating any purchasing trends are they? Only indicating what someone today thinks they might want for a smartphone sometime in the future, with no direct correlation to what they really do.

If there was a one-to-one relationship, Android-based smartphones couldn't logically be outselling the iPhone since I've never seen them as the preferred choice in any survey like this.

I know you can read these simple charts. We all can. The one I posted shows them from July 2007, when the first iPhone came out, until the present. That's been the trend.

So it obviously isn't "just" what people say for the future, as the future for all of those graph points are now in the past. As the iPhone has mirrored those trends, we can say that they do have meaning.

You might have noticed that I'm talking about the TRENDS not the actual percentages. My estimates overall are that the actual resulting percentages of sales are between 30-40% lower. But this is true for most all manufacturers as far as trends vs sales are concerned. None of the sales match the percentages, though the trends are pretty much correct. The actual percentage varies with the individual manufacturer.

But if you look at my last post, you can see that it's thought Apple did much better viv-a-vis Android this past quarter.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Ah, just to throw this in. We will never know Samsung's smartphone and tablet sales, as they stopped supplying them two quarter's ago, for "competitive purposes". That's usually a euphemism for: "We're not doing quite as well as we want you to think." so the 35 million number being bandied about is just an estimate from an analyst. From the estimates we see of Apple's sales, it may, or may not be accurate. So it could possibly be anywhere from, say, 25 million to 45 million. Play pin the tail on the number to find out.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Or for a different view based on the same data.

Interest in iPhone drops 17% in 3 months, while the number of people planning on buying samsung has increased 160% in the same period.

That's because those who responded purchased their new iPhone 4s prior to the most recent survey! Get a grip! And of course, because they did so, one would temporarily lift in Samsung as they await the next Samsung model. This really isn't that complicated.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

I also know lots of people who got an android phone and absolutely love them. They also bought them for other reasons than the 2 you mentioned.

Because they don't know any better of course... wait until they see that they have no resell value, or that they can't update to the latest OS because their phone can't handle it, etc. etc. etc.