CES: Acer unveils new cloud service, copies Apple's iCloud presentation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQNQkJGwxsE

Appreciate that. I remember it from the original presentation. I'm still unclear on how Amazon and Microsoft fit in with Apple's data centers. Are any cloud services supplied directly from Amazon servers for instance? Perhaps that's never been acknowledged in the first place as I can't find Apple comments about it.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Haha, truly pathetic. The saddest part is that both slides are confusing and look silly. WTF is this cloud with pictures in it? What do the numbers mean? Haven't the presenters heard of any of the gazillion photo sharing services, or do they find it convenient to pretend they haven't? If you're gonna steal something, at least steal something worth showing.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    It's ok when Appile copies, but it's not ok if someone copies Apple? You people are so brainwashed it's pathetic. You realy need to find a new hobby, but try not to worship the manufacturer so much.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

copy a slide is easy ... but invest in the Data Center to support this service is another story ...

You are assuming Acer plans for it to work properly.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    I'm so glad that greedy power hungry pos Steve Jobs is dead and I hope he suffered before he died. He made alot of good people suffer when he was alive so he deserves to burn in hell for eternity.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Patent litigation lawyer: "I'd like to introduce Exhibit F, PicCloud slide from Acer..."

Jury: "We're done. GUILTY!"

Actually, it would most likely be a copyright lawyer.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Surely "directly lifted" would mean that they used it as is from Apple, which they haven't.

I'm sure a majority of designers would have come up with this layout without seeing the Apple version.

LOL. This clearly is a copyright infringement. It is a derivative work based off Apple's original presentation. If George Harrison can be held liable for copyright infringement over, "My Sweet Lord," this is a slam dunk. Unlike Harrison, I doubt Acer can claim it didn't see Steve's presentation.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Take the "r" and place it between the "A" and the "c" and pronounce the "c" as a soft "c" and that's what Acer really is.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Wow, I'm an idiot. Why was any of this surprising to me?

Acer bought Gateway bought eMachines: the company behind the eOne?the most slavish iMac rip-off in human history. The eOne led to a lawsuit from Apple which led to eMachines' bankruptcy and subsequent purchase.

Climb back up the ladder and now we have Acer doing the same thing. Of course they're going to be doing direct copies.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    LMAO! Can you say LAWSUIT?
  • Reply 31 of 84
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Appreciate that. I remember it from the original presentation. I'm still unclear on how Amazon and Microsoft fit in with Apple's data centers. Are any cloud services supplied directly from Amazon servers for instance? Perhaps that's never been acknowledged in the first place as I can't find Apple comments about it.

I think they just help to reduce latency and bandwidth, especially at busy times.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Innovation thru imitation!

Apple should be proud of the flattery.

/s

By 'proud' you mean, like a lion who works hard for a meal only to be attacked by a pack of hyenas who want to get in on the action without actually having to do any work.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The McDowell's Defense:
    "See they got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese,

pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They DID outright steal Apple's Wi-Fi icon, though.

Stop exaggerating¡ Their icon points the other way.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

With that mention, what is Apple actually using theirs for? I've seen various mentions of Apple using servers belonging to Amazon and Microsoft for their cloud services, and never really clearly understood what the NC facility was intended for. Perhaps the main services are streaming from Apple NC, with Microsoft and Amazon supplying backup or additional storage?

apple will have the master copy of icloud data and Azure and Amazon will have copies of it because they have dozens of data centers each and will be closer to the customer. your master copy goes to apple, replicated to amazon/ms and when you access the data it will be from a copy closes to you. for the schema and the programming it's all azure. i forgot the technical reason but i read somewhere that it's the best implementation for something like this
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I think they just help to reduce latency and bandwidth, especially at busy times.

If they are it isn't working.

iCloud takes forever to do anything for me and the email crashes sometimes five times in a single session due to latency issues.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:

Innovation thru imitation!

Apple should be proud of the flattery.

/s

Samsung makes billions with this strategy.

They have become the most successful Android vendor thanks to copying Apple.

Why wouldn't other OEM companies do the same? Its their culture.

HTC/Samsung and other companies in South Korea would be nothing if western companies did not outsource production to them.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Why does everyone copy Apple. i this and i that. Android devices looks much the same as the ipads. Now we have Acer copying iCloud.

Doesn't anyone apart from Apple have a original thought.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    This requires Windows ... sorry, not interested.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Frackin' pathetic.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Surely "directly lifted" would mean that they used it as is from Apple, which they haven't.

I'm sure a majority of designers would have come up with this layout without seeing the Apple version.

And, and I am sure you must be one of those gifted ones!