CES: Live report on the Steve Ballmer Keynote

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

"it's over" just about sums it up for Microsoft.

yes indeed , this company is slowly working its way towards total irrelevance in the consumer space.

• Reply 22 of 90
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Overnight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Southwest wind around 8 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 46. West wind between 8 and 14 mph.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 33. Northwest wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. North wind at 7 mph becoming east.

Wednesday Night: Rain likely, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. East wind between 9 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday: Rain, mainly before 1pm. High near 45. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: A chance of showers after 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 42.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 37.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

M.L.King Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.

Thanks for the update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Oh sorry, wrong thread!

I disagree.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    You know what is great? Anytime a competitor mentions "Apple" when they are comparing their products... Free advertising, and instant envy.........
  • Reply 24 of 90
  • Reply 25 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Microsoft has really lost its way. It's tablet launch is going to be a disaster. It will be late and bad. They still have not locked down the scope and it's suppose to launch in 10 months

DISASTER

I don't think Microsoft has found the way. Remember, they only dominated because Apple was so pathetic before the second coming of Steve Jobs and the advent of Mac OS X. The problem with Microsoft is: they reached the top and stayed the course. Everyone from FireFox to Google to Apple is chipping away at parts of their once indisputable hegemony.

And yes, Microsoft's last keynote died with a whimper. Glad AI was there to bring us the play by play.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    So what did Microsoft show off that was new? It's all things we've known for almost a year now.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    BEST.....THREAD......EVER!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Meanwhile, the Steve Ballmer doll has been marked down to $9.99 in the closeout bin.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Dragons, the policeman knew, where supposed to breathe fire and occasionally get themselves slaughtered.

For years I've wondered if it was that the dragons which the policeman had acquaintance were supposed to breathe fire, or it was knowledge the policeman had that dragons, in general, were supposed to breathe fire.

The end of the line is sorta strange since it implies that the dragons in question went out every so often with the intent of being slaughtered. It's like saying that cows get themselves milked or turned in to hamburger. Sorta beyond their control, no?
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Everyone is so quick to bash MS and predict their drawn out death. This is a huge company with deep pockets and smart folks. They are having a rouh ride competing in areas they never really had to before, against new technologies and in most cases better technologies.

They are badly guided right now and in a defensive position reacting to Apple, Google and co. Once they get back on track, develop something cool and game changing and not in reaction to the competion, they'll do well again.... Not that i really care that much, i cant stand windows but this thread is like gang rape (very one sided) and someone needs to save the girl.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

Everyone is so quick to bash MS and predict their drawn out death. This is a huge company with deep pockets and smart folks. They are having a rouh ride competing in areas they never really had to before, against new technologies and in most cases better technologies.

They are badly guided right now and in a defensive position reacting to Apple, Google and co. Once they get back on track, develop something cool and game changing and not in reaction to the competion, they'll do well again.... Not that i really care that much, i cant stand windows but this thread is like gang rape (very one sided) and someone needs to save the girl.

You're in the wrong thread...
  • Reply 32 of 90
    I've got to watch this presentation on Youtube. I just recently happen to catch Ballmer's greatest hits - his monkey dance, "developers, developers, developers, developers", his ads for Windows, his running down of the MBA. This guy is more entertaining than Hollywood movies!

That said, I would still like to try Windows 8 sometime. I am pretty happy with Windows 7 at work.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're in the wrong thread...

More like the wrong Universe or dimension.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
  • Reply 35 of 90
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Once they get back on track? They have been trying to get back on track since at least Longhorn.

This is Microsoft's problem: They are not really a technology company. Their forte isn't in building world class software, it's in the establishment, extension and perpetuation of monopoly via shrewd deal making, strategic acquisition, and outright coercion. They are what Standard Oil was a century ago, only this time around, PC software, not petroleum, was the industry that was ripe for monopolist exploitation. i.e. the industry was relatively new, growth was high, and the feds did not really understand the business (it took about a decade before the DoJ figured out that the actions MS took to protect and extend its Windows and Office monopolies were basically criminal actions.)

And once the monopoly shield got pierced, it became obvious that Microsoft does not know how to compete on a head to head basis. We all thought they were so successful because their products were great. It turns out their buggy, insecure, bloated, jerrybuilt software was selling only because they were able to kill their competitors through anticompetitive methods.

Shed no tears for Microsoft. They represent the worst aspects of the free enterprise system.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:

Couldn't you come up with a better comparison? Besides, Microsoft doesn't comes up anything. They acquire. They burn out the people behind the acquisition, they leave the company, the product dies. Repeat. They have had some success in a few niche areas that they have been able to exploit pretty well. However, windows is on the way down. It will be replaced mostly by iOS and Android. The remainder will likely fall to OS X.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

<...>

It is interesting that Microsoft is inventing entirely new ways to do things that really have very little in common with the standard windowing user interface, and bear very little resemblance to how iOS works.

<...>

Unlike iOS, this isn't confined to a new product; Microsoft is planning to radially change the PC as it works today, making it a hybrid mix of the conventional Windows 7 desktop and the wildly different Metro user interface. <...>

These two sentences sound like an unintended 'In-before "nothing new here", "lipstick on a pig"'... It's funny how a little jealousy can derail a thread into unsubtle trolling.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    MS really likes the name "Metro". That was originally a challenger to postscript and the PDF format. Now it is the new interface for Windows 8. Metro just happens to be the transit system in King Country Washington where Microsoft resides. Odd that they picked that name. Will their new slogan be "Get on the Bus!"
  • Reply 39 of 90
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    While taking a break to observe the MS keynote; Ben, Albert, Tom and Walt said "See Steve, you have nothing to worry about, Apple will do just fine". Steve nodded and grinned and said, "What a bunch of Bozos". They all laughed and returned to their poker game.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

It is one sided for a reason. The only person that presented well during that whole keynote was the guy demoing Xbox. That guy should do all of MSs keynotes and be CEO. The rest of the keynote was atrocious. It was so bad it really truly distracted from their products... Such as they are. Sad. When compared to Apple keynotes, which most everyone say is at least simple, neat and professional; everyone else looks like kindergarteners.