CES: Live report on the Steve Ballmer Keynote

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Wouldn't it be great if this thread had no comments at all because no one really care what MS does these days? Just nuthin' but empty space and . . .

Duh oh! What have I done?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

¿ǝuop I ǝʌɐɥ ʇɐɥM ¡ɥo ɥnp

˙ ˙ ˙ puɐ ǝɔɐds ʎʇdɯǝ ʇnq ,uıɥʇnu ʇsnſ ¿sʎɐp ǝsǝɥʇ sǝop SW ʇɐɥʍ ǝɹɐɔ ʎllɐǝɹ ǝuo ou ǝsnɐɔǝq llɐ ʇɐ sʇuǝɯɯoɔ ou pɐɥ pɐǝɹɥʇ sıɥʇ ɟı ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝq ʇı ʇ,uplnoM

Best thread really!!
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Best thread really!!

The oldest continuous operating business in the world was...

Kongō Gumi Co., Ltd. (株式会社金剛組 Kabushiki Gaisha Kongō Gumi?) is a Japanese construction company and was the world's oldest continuously ongoing independent company, operating for over 1,400 years until it was absorbed as a subsidiary of another larger construction company. Headquartered in Osaka, the once family-owned construction company traced its origins to 578 when one of the engineers whom Prince Shōtoku brought from Baekje to Japan to build the Buddhist temple Shitennō-ji decided to start his own business. Over the centuries, Kongō Gumi participated in the construction of many famous buildings, including the 16th century Osaka Castle.

A 10-foot 17th-century scroll traces the 40 generations back to the company's start. As with many distinguished Japanese families, sons-in-law often joined the clan and took the Kongō family name. Thus, through the years, the line has continued through either a son or a daughter.

The company fell on hard times and went into liquidation in January 2006. Its assets were purchased by Takamatsu Corporation.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

Everyone is so quick to bash MS and predict their drawn out death. This is a huge company with deep pockets and smart folks. They are having a rouh ride competing in areas they never really had to before, against new technologies and in most cases better technologies.

They are badly guided right now and in a defensive position reacting to Apple, Google and co. Once they get back on track, develop something cool and game changing and not in reaction to the competion, they'll do well again.... Not that i really care that much, i cant stand windows but this thread is like gang rape (very one sided) and someone needs to save the girl.

I have to agree with you that most people in this forum are not particularly M$-friendly (Why oh why is this so??). But actually to compare M$ with a poor defenseless girl is the most offensive accusation anybody in this thread has stated so far.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

Everyone is so quick to bash MS and predict their drawn out death. This is a huge company with deep pockets and smart folks. They are having a rouh ride competing in areas they never really had to before, against new technologies and in most cases better technologies.

They are badly guided right now and in a defensive position reacting to Apple, Google and co. Once they get back on track, develop something cool and game changing and not in reaction to the competion, they'll do well again.... Not that i really care that much, i cant stand windows but this thread is like gang rape (very one sided) and someone needs to save the girl.

Microsoft is good at monopolies...competing not so good.

I think CES felt like the funeral..a goodbye and good-night.

Positives are clearly they never tried to copy Apple...but that was probably a mistake the software and colors from microsoft are not happening unless ur 5 years old.

Other positives:This thread was amazing and creative unlikely microsoft...and i regret my lack of creative touches as well.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Kongō Gumi Co., Ltd. (株式会社金剛組 Kabushiki Gaisha Kongō Gumi?) is a Japanese construction company and was the world's oldest continuously ongoing independent company, operating for over 1,400 years until it was absorbed as a subsidiary of another larger construction company. Headquartered in Osaka, the once family-owned construction company traced its origins to 578 when one of the engineers whom Prince Shōtoku brought from Baekje to Japan to build the Buddhist temple Shitennō-ji decided to start his own business. Over the centuries, Kongō Gumi participated in the construction of many famous buildings, including the 16th century Osaka Castle.

A 10-foot 17th-century scroll traces the 40 generations back to the company's start. As with many distinguished Japanese families, sons-in-law often joined the clan and took the Kongō family name. Thus, through the years, the line has continued through either a son or a daughter.

The company fell on hard times and went into liquidation in January 2006. Its assets were purchased by Takamatsu Corporation.

Sounds like a sad story. What made them struggle? I would think for construction there is always a high demand particularly in Japan, where they redesign whole area's of the big city's like regularly.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

MS really likes the name "Metro". That was originally a challenger to postscript and the PDF format. Now it is the new interface for Windows 8. Metro just happens to be the transit system in King Country Washington where Microsoft resides. Odd that they picked that name. Will their new slogan be "Get on the Bus!"

Here in Britain, Metro was also the name for a 1980's small car:

Not an association they will want people to make!
  • Reply 49 of 90
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

¿ǝuop I ǝʌɐɥ ʇɐɥM ¡ɥo ɥnp

˙ ˙ ˙ puɐ ǝɔɐds ʎʇdɯǝ ʇnq ,uıɥʇnu ʇsnſ ¿sʎɐp ǝsǝɥʇ sǝop SW ʇɐɥʍ ǝɹɐɔ ʎllɐǝɹ ǝuo ou ǝsnɐɔǝq llɐ ʇɐ sʇuǝɯɯoɔ ou pɐɥ pɐǝɹɥʇ sıɥʇ ɟı ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝq ʇı ʇ,uplnoM

Isn't this magical?
  • Reply 50 of 90
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

This is good stuff!
  • Reply 51 of 90
    MS is in the license game. Their OEMS just pimp lipstick wearing wintel machines and then pass on royalties to king Ballmer. MS has nothing to offer. The wintel pc is designed to be a virus prone, MS certified tech loving POS!
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Interesting to see how prominently Samsung is advertised next to the Windoze logo
  • Reply 53 of 90
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I've got to watch this presentation on Youtube. I just recently happen to catch Ballmer's greatest hits - his monkey dance, "developers, developers, developers, developers", his ads for Windows, his running down of the MBA. This guy is more entertaining than Hollywood movies!

That said, I would still like to try Windows 8 sometime. I am pretty happy with Windows 7 at work.

or at least you could - there is a public beta of Windows 8 available - I took look at it - not sure how it is supposed to work on a full PC - it was confusing and the mouse did not work very well in the metro interface - and switching back and forth from Metro to the standard UI seems disjointed - it is the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde interface.

I have been using computers for close to 30 years - Mac, Windows, Unix, VMS and others (TI, TRS, Tandy, Commodore 64 back in the day) - as well as virtualization technologies from various companies with various guest OS - and as a desktop interface Metro to me is akin to the old Simple Finder mode in Mac OS 9 where you could restrict access to a subset of apps and lock out access to features for a child or a Kiosk - I don't see how it will work for any desktop productivity.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel

MS really likes the name "Metro". That was originally a challenger to postscript and the PDF format. Now it is the new interface for Windows 8. Metro just happens to be the transit system in King Country Washington where Microsoft resides. Odd that they picked that name. Will their new slogan be "Get on the Bus!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

Here in Britain, Metro was also the name for a 1980's small car:

<snip>

Not an association they will want people to make!

Here in Canada (Ontario and Quebec at least anyways), Metro is an over-priced grocery store chain. They really couldn't have picked something less used?

Windows 7 is actually a decent product, I don't know why they're insisting on changing so much. If Windows Phone is any indication, people aren't going to buy in to the whole Metro-only tablet thing. x86-based Windows 8 tablets won't take off for the same reason previous Windows tablets have failed (especially now with ultrabooks as a new alternative). All that's left is a bunch of people pissed off about having Metro shoved down their throats on their main computers. Windows Vista round two anyone?
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Yippie! Another opinion piece for all the Apple fanboys to jump up and down and scream about how much Microsoft sucks! Woo hoo!

Dilger writing about Microsoft is about the same as having the Grand Dragon of the KKK write about a hip-hop event. Let's see if I can summarize this trash article: Microsoft didn't present the same way Apple would have so it sucked. Of course if they had made it more Apple-like, Dilger and the fanboys would be screaming about how pathetic and unoriginal MS was that they couldn't do their own thing.

Dilger, crawl back under the rock you slithered out from under or AppleInsider at least acknowledge that you shouldn't expect any level of journalistic integrity in the crap he writes.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Best. Thread. Ever.

Great thread!

I haven't laughed like this after only 14 posts for a long long time.

Now I'll continue
  • Reply 57 of 90
    People, people, people...

Yes, Microsoft is falling and I know it thrills you people to no end, but they will still live on providing servers and services to businesses. They're not going anywhere. They will likely stay relevant to computing for years to come, even though their influence will diminish (They're the new IBM...).

If you guys don't think the same thing will happen to Apple one day, just wait. I am not saying it will be soon, but you guys go right ahead and mock Microsoft. But know this...someday, someone will enjoy watching Apple's decent from dominance and will dance on their grave too (It will be a Linux hippy with a neck beard that will have a heart attack 10 minutes later because it is the most exercise they have had in 20 years).

I don't know who will be their competitor, but somewhere out there is another person like Steve Jobs, with vision and direction, just waiting for technology to catch up with their imagination.

It is the nature of technology.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yippie! Another opinion piece for all the Apple fanboys to jump up and down and scream about how much Microsoft sucks! Woo hoo!

Dilger writing about Microsoft is about the same as having the Grand Dragon of the KKK write about a hip-hop event. Let's see if I can summarize this trash article: Microsoft didn't present the same way Apple would have so it sucked. Of course if they had made it more Apple-like, Dilger and the fanboys would be screaming about how pathetic and unoriginal MS was that they couldn't do their own thing.

Dilger, crawl back under the rock you slithered out from under or AppleInsider at least acknowledge that you shouldn't expect any level of journalistic integrity in the crap he writes.

I'm the first to call out Dillger for being an idiot, but lets face it, there wasn't much else but filler going on in that keynote. It's pretty obvious Microsoft is playing their cards close to their chest at the moment, and it's easy to see why they decided to drop CES next year.

On the Dillger side it's interesting to see the ball has dropped about just how different Microsoft's approach is.

Dillger mentions "semantic zoom" which he thinks is "sort of" like Exposé but not really - wait until he finds out that is an app control that will be utilized by 3rd party apps. Actually, wait until he sees things like side-by-side apps and app contracts.

Dillger is already making comments like "Microsoft is inventing entirely new ways to do things that ... bear very little resemblance to how iOS works", "[Microsoft will] deliver an entirely new user interface that is completely original and wildly different" and "Microsoft is planning to radially change the PC as it works today".

If the most rabid Apple fanboy who thinks Microsoft have never invented a single thing in their existence can look at what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7 and admit that it is "completely original and wildly different" and "bear[s] very little resemblance to how iOS works" I think that's something interesting.

Of course Dillger automatically still assumes it all sucks because it isn't Apple, but that is to be expected!
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Windows 7 is actually a decent product, I don't know why they're insisting on changing so much.

Windows 7 is actually an amazing product, I agree. But I think people are tired of fooling with computers.

The iPad just WORKS. I know some people will think I am crazy but it wouldn't be simple if its did not have limits. I hated messing with my laptop when I got home from work, but I love to pick up my iPad and check out a few things.

Apple fills the need for people don't want to have a ton of options and are fine with the Apple experience. Right now, Android fills the needs of the people that are OK with more complexity for freedom.

I am not sure where Microsoft fits in. They are trying to sit somewhere between the closed Apple and the open Android. Usually that doesn't work out for businesses. They would be much better off trying to swoop in and become the new RIM. Neither Apple or Android has taken foothold in the Enterprise just yet. Microsoft is really missing their chance.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    This is honestly the first time I've heard of this Metro thing, but even a search on Bing gives me the grocery store, and nothing related to MS on the entire first page.

Also, not that we should be MS haters for no reason, this article obviously reads "MS sucks, all hail Apple!". DED comes with so much bias that he just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Come on man, do you have to keep bashing the other guys because they are down?

That being said, I don't think Metro is something to be taken lightly. OSes are becoming so icon-bloated, it is becoming harder to memorize what apps look like anymore as they change all the time. And who actually knows how to decipher some of these 16x16 images (try helping some senior citizens find the firefox icon..). Let MS do the research on this one some more, I think it's still early..