54% of future smartphone buyers say they'll choose Apple's iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    December results lower as now folks *are* waiting a few months (>90 days) for the iPhone 5 so that wouldn't be in the 90 day time window... actually given that I'm surprised the number is that high (or "normal" folks aren't clued into/care about the refresh cycle)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I suspect that the September 2011 results were artificially high in expectation of the new iPhone. The December results might just be that stabilising.

• Reply 42 of 48
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Because they don't know any better of course... wait until they see that they have no resell value, or that they can't update to the latest OS because their phone can't handle it, etc. etc. etc.

That is not a valid argument. I bought a droid recently (xperia arc s) and I did my research. I considered the iPhone but cost and functionality won the day. All carriers here have 24 month contracts which are expensive. I can max my memory out to 32gb cheaply, connect up to my plasma easily with supplied hdmi cable, apps are comparable, HD camera is top notch, 3D and panoramic. I was able to buy the handset sim free at a reasonable price too. I have never resold a phone (just replace it when I feel the need) and it is ready for icecream sandwich which should bring loads more functionality and performance.

Android is a decent OS though I would still consider purchasing an iphone sometime in the future depending on carrier contract prices.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

That is not a valid argument. I bought a droid recently (xperia arc s) and I did my research. I considered the iPhone but cost and functionality won the day. All carriers here have 24 month contracts which are expensive. I can max my memory out to 32gb cheaply, connect up to my plasma easily with supplied hdmi cable, apps are comparable, HD camera is top notch, 3D and panoramic. I was able to buy the handset sim free at a reasonable price too. I have never resold a phone (just replace it when I feel the need) and it is ready for icecream sandwich which should bring loads more functionality and performance.

Android is a decent OS though I would still consider purchasing an iphone sometime in the future depending on carrier contract prices.

I hope you can update it. No guarantees of course with Android, even if the manufacturer says so in the beginning. At least you didn't buy a Samsung, as then there would be little chance you could update is as they have the worst reputation for that.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

At least you didn't buy a Samsung, as then there would be little chance you could update is as they have the worst reputation for that.

A couple weeks back Samsung announced its plans for updating current models to Android 4.0 (ICS). Within the next 8-10 weeks they'll update the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note's. Next up will be GALAXY R, GALAXY Tab 10.1, GALAXY Tab 8.9, GALAXY Tab 7.7, and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus. I do have a big issue with them not updating the slightly older Galaxy S, apparently just to avoid removing their Touch-wiz layer.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope you can update it. No guarantees of course with Android, even if the manufacturer says so in the beginning. At least you didn't buy a Samsung, as then there would be little chance you could update is as they have the worst reputation for that.

God no. I wouldn't even entertain a Samsung. Bloody awful design imho. Always liked Sony Ericsson phones. Bit of class and great build quality. Yes the xperia arc s is ics ready. No problem running that. As much as I love Apple tech the iPhone is not the be all and end all of phone technology although I will be very interested in iPhone5 and what it may bring to the party. Horses for courses.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A couple weeks back Samsung announced its plans for updating current models to Android 4.0 (ICS). Within the next 8-10 weeks they'll update the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note's. Next up will be GALAXY R, GALAXY Tab 10.1, GALAXY Tab 8.9, GALAXY Tab 7.7, and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus. I do have a big issue with them not updating the slightly older Galaxy S, apparently just to avoid removing their Touch-wiz layer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45779746.../#.Tw5LSvF5mSM

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11...ory-of-support

Android phones in general have many problems with updates. Lots get them very late, a number don't get any at all, and a fair number come right out of the gate with an old version of the OS which may or may not ever get updates.

Those are the facts, and Samsung has a very bad reputation in this area. I wouldn't put any money on all those devices getting updated any time soon, or at all, going by their past actions. Come back with the list after they all have been updated. Good luck.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

God no. I wouldn't even entertain a Samsung. Bloody awful design imho. Always liked Sony Ericsson phones. Bit of class and great build quality. Yes the xperia arc s is ics ready. No problem running that. As much as I love Apple tech the iPhone is not the be all and end all of phone technology although I will be very interested in iPhone5 and what it may bring to the party. Horses for courses.

No phone is the be all and end all. You just have to choose which positives outweigh the negatives. We all choose differently.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Interesting article from PCMag about Android fragmentation, and how it affects apps and updates.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398783,00.asp