CES: Live report on the Steve Ballmer Keynote

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Windows 7 is actually an amazing product, I agree. But I think people are tired of fooling with computers.

You mean, most people have been fooled for thinking they actually need a (home) computer. The lure of "doing anything" with a CPU has kept the economy going for far too long. Just like cars that last 5 years, and clothes that go "out of style".
  • Reply 62 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm the first to call out Dillger for being an idiot, but lets face it, there wasn't much else but filler going on in that keynote. It's pretty obvious Microsoft is playing their cards close to their chest at the moment, and it's easy to see why they decided to drop CES next year.

On the Dillger side it's interesting to see the ball has dropped about just how different Microsoft's approach is.

Dillger mentions "semantic zoom" which he thinks is "sort of" like Exposé but not really - wait until he finds out that is an app control that will be utilized by 3rd party apps. Actually, wait until he sees things like side-by-side apps and app contracts.

Dillger is already making comments like "Microsoft is inventing entirely new ways to do things that ... bear very little resemblance to how iOS works", "[Microsoft will] deliver an entirely new user interface that is completely original and wildly different" and "Microsoft is planning to radially change the PC as it works today".

If the most rabid Apple fanboy who thinks Microsoft have never invented a single thing in their existence can look at what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7 and admit that it is "completely original and wildly different" and "bear[s] very little resemblance to how iOS works" I think that's something interesting.

Of course Dillger automatically still assumes it all sucks because it isn't Apple, but that is to be expected!

This post sums up the actual content of the article perfectly.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

or at least you could - there is a public beta of Windows 8 available - I took look at it - not sure how it is supposed to work on a full PC - it was confusing and the mouse did not work very well in the metro interface - and switching back and forth from Metro to the standard UI seems disjointed - it is the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde interface.

I have been using computers for close to 30 years - Mac, Windows, Unix, VMS and others (TI, TRS, Tandy, Commodore 64 back in the day) - as well as virtualization technologies from various companies with various guest OS - and as a desktop interface Metro to me is akin to the old Simple Finder mode in Mac OS 9 where you could restrict access to a subset of apps and lock out access to features for a child or a Kiosk - I don't see how it will work for any desktop productivity.

Tried the first beta, and the Wow Starts Now! Wow is that bad. The totally schizophrenic split between touch interface and desktop when driving with a mouse (which most users theoretically would be if they have Win7 machines...). Nasty. Click one tile and stuff is full-screen, click something else and suddenly you're on a desktop. Can't wait to see how many Mac converts Win8 makes.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    They started the show blasting (This place about to) Blow.

How appropriate.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oops. For a moment I thought you were posting Windows new operating system

I can see it now.

INTRODUCING
    wOS Tiger
  • Reply 66 of 90
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Will their new slogan be "Get on the Bus!"

Or 'Derail yourself'
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yippie! Another opinion piece for all the Apple fanboys to jump up and down and scream about how much Microsoft sucks! Woo hoo!

Dilger writing about Microsoft is about the same as having the Grand Dragon of the KKK write about a hip-hop event. Let's see if I can summarize this trash article: Microsoft didn't present the same way Apple would have so it sucked. Of course if they had made it more Apple-like, Dilger and the fanboys would be screaming about how pathetic and unoriginal MS was that they couldn't do their own thing.

Dilger, crawl back under the rock you slithered out from under or AppleInsider at least acknowledge that you shouldn't expect any level of journalistic integrity in the crap he writes.

So serious you...so serious.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

They are badly guided right now and in a defensive position reacting to Apple, Google and co. Once they get back on track, develop something cool and game changing and not in reaction to the competion, they'll do well again...

And when's the last time they've done that? The only truly unique thing they've done in the last decade is Kinect, and it's a toy. Everything else has just been extending what they already have done, or blatantly copying what someone else has done better.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:

Everyone is so quick to bash MS and predict their drawn out death........and in most cases better technologies.

They are badly guided right now ....... Once they get back on track, develop something cool ......and someone needs to save the girl.

wow. sort of... Microsoft is like the Titanic. It left dock, did stupid things, it sank. Sorry if that is sad, just like how people who have really hated using Windows products dislike Microsoft is sad.

While Microsoft may get back on top, to do so will require them thinking differently. Its possible, but as long as Ballmer is in charge, highly unlikely.

Even recently, Microsoft bought Danger, then killed its software by trying to make it into the MS world of "everything MS".

Hey, maybe if we make a bigger boat, real cheaply, and sail it real fast in iceberg waters.... it will not sink. ....... you never know. :-)
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gerardj View Post

Dragons, the policeman knew, where supposed to breathe fire and occasionally get themselves slaughtered.

For years I've wondered if it was that the dragons which the policeman had acquaintance were supposed to breathe fire, or it was knowledge the policeman had that dragons, in general, were supposed to breathe fire.

The end of the line is sorta strange since it implies that the dragons in question went out every so often with the intent of being slaughtered. It's like saying that cows get themselves milked or turned in to hamburger. Sorta beyond their control, no?

Wow! Yazzy! I always wondered what they were saying after the first line.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

This post sums up the actual content of the article perfectly.

To be fair, the MS keynote really is a bizarre event. Even the Gizmodo liveblogger thought the whole experience surreal:
    "Don't go out like this Microsoft. THIS IS YOUR LAST KEYNOTE...Seriously there have been at least three moments during this keynote when I was sure I was having some sort of fever dream."
    Perhaps it was unkind to use the keynote as an excuse to take potshots at Microsoft's overall strategy, but it does not make it any less true.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Tweet Choir

That's all I have to say.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gus2000 View Post

To be fair, the MS keynote really is a bizarre event. Even the Gizmodo liveblogger thought the whole experience surreal:
    "Don't go out like this Microsoft. THIS IS YOUR LAST KEYNOTE...Seriously there have been at least three moments during this keynote when I was sure I was having some sort of fever dream."
    Perhaps it was unkind to use the keynote as an excuse to take potshots at Microsoft's overall strategy, but it does not make it any less true.

Loved the Twit broadcast and commentry - but the truth is that until now CES is one big yawn in general. Watching the whole thing on http://ces.primesense.com/realtime
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

Playing Ke$ha "(Place about to) Blow,"

How weirdly appropriate to play before a Ballmer keynote. This place is about to blow.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:

Everyone is so quick to bash Kodak and predict their drawn out death. This is a huge company with deep pockets and smart folks. They are having a rough ride competing in areas they never really had to before, against new technologies and in most cases better technologies.

Fixed it for ya!
  • Reply 76 of 90
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Meanwhile, the Steve Ballmer doll has been marked down to $9.99 in the closeout bin.

Wait a week or two. It'll be available at one of the dollar stores for...well...a dollar.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

wow. sort of... Microsoft is like the Titanic. It left dock, did stupid things, it sank. Sorry if that is sad, just like how people who have really hated using Windows products dislike Microsoft is sad.

And now they are just rearranging deck chairs.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:

Slide of Windows Phone goes up and a small section of the audience starts cheering. Seacrest points out it must be the design department. Nobody else is even politely clapping in the entire room. This is incredibly bizarre.

It'd have been awesome if Seacrest pulled out his iPhone and tweeted that to his followers right there on stage, next to Steve Ballmer. It would have brought out the monkey boy in Ballmer, complete with the urge to stomp on his iPhone. If he's in a good mood, Ballmer might also throw a chair on stage.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

MS really likes the name "Metro". That was originally a challenger to postscript and the PDF format. Now it is the new interface for Windows 8. Metro just happens to be the transit system in King Country Washington where Microsoft resides. Odd that they picked that name. Will their new slogan be "Get on the Bus!"

Actually, there's some discussion that it's majorcrap's atttempt by adding the letter "r", no one will figure out they are now a Me to company.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The thing is that while PCs will remain for a long time, smart phones, iPads (and soon smart TVs) will reduce the importance of PCs. To gain market share in smart phones or iPads MS have to make better implementations than Apple and Android. Just a good one will not do any major inroads as MS are late for the party on both markets. Perhaps they can focus on a platform agnostic Office 365 and the X-box as smart TV. They still have all those pro apps like servers, Exchange server, Active Directory and other enterprise stuff. MS will stick around...

And they still make better mice than Apple Not that that says a lot. I really dislike Office 2011 but some stuff they do is quite good.