Comcast launches live TV on iPad, Amazon optimizes Kindle store for iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Comcast on Tuesday began to roll out its new "AnyPlay" functionality for iPad, allowing subscribers to stream live TV to Apple's tablet. Also, Amazon launched a new Kindle storefront designed to take advantage of the touchscreen interface of the iPad.

Comcast AnyPlay launches in select markets

Comcast's Xfinity HD Triple Play customers in Denver and Nashville can now access live streaming TV on their iPad over Wi-Fi at no additional charge. The cable provider said it plans to add the service to more markets in the coming months.

AnyPlay is only available for users who access the Internet on their home Wi-Fi connection. Outside of the home or over 3G, the Xfinity TV application allows users to access On Demand content, including 8,000 hours of movies and TV shows.

The new AnyPlay functionality is currently only available on the iPad, though support for the Motorola Xoom tablet is coming "very soon." Using the service, users will be able to watch a show separate from what someone else might currently be watching on the TV.

"Here's how it works... the AnyPlay device works the same as any other set top box in the home, but instead of delivering the incoming channel lineup to a television, AnyPlay delivers the lineup to the Wi-Fi router on the home network," a post at the company's official blog reads. "The router then distributes the secure video signal to the iPad or Xoom over your home's wireless network. So as long as your tablet is within range of the home wireless router, you can turn it into another television screen."

Word of Comcast's AnyPlay service first surfaced last September in the form of a leaked memo. That document said that the AnyPlay service would be limited to 10 registered tablets per home, and only one device could be used at a time to stream live TV programs.

Kindle Store now optimized for iPad

Amazon on Tuesday stepped up its competition in the e-book market with Apple by overhauling its Kindle Store for the iPad. The new touch-optimized Kindle Store for iPad aims to make it easier to find and purchase books.

The new storefront is available via the iPad's Safari browser at amazon.com/iPadKindleStore. Users must visit the website to purchase e-books on their iPad, because Apple does not allow iOS applications to sell content without paying a 30 percent cut to Apple.

Books that are purchased through the iPad-specific Kindle Store website are tied to a user's Amazon account. Those books are then instantly available in the iOS Kindle application, available for free on the App Store. Books can also be read on the iPad Web browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.

Amazon's move to cater more closely to iPad book readers comes as Apple is expected to announce enhancements to its iBooks platform at a media event in New York City later this month. The rumored media event will reportedly focus on iBooks and will feature industry-related announcements about publishing and educational content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    As with other plans Comcast's is limited to those already paying for conventional HD services. I have dropped normal TV in favor of ATV, NetFlix and iTunes and look forward to Dyal.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    This is an utterly boring development. Another sign of the terrible lack of innovation coming from the telcos such as Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I like the price. If it works. Right now, the xfinity app doesn't, even though my cable box is listed as one of the ones it is supposed to. Opened a ticket with their tech support, no action. But my bill always comes on time.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Who the hell needs to watch live TV on their iPad at fricking home?!! I'm sure someone can provide a plausible example, but this seems to be more of a niche/proof of concept than a killer app. I think I'm ditching cable also. Too many alternatives to justify the price these days.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Hopefully it will allow you to also access contents of your Comcast DVR, but never underestimate Comcast's ability to disappoint.

Only one device can 'AnyPlay' at a time. Meh, as they say.

But as the saying goes, if you see a pig fly, you can't complain that it didn't get very far.

Cable will give only as much as it absolutely has to, and begrudgingly at that.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Who the hell needs to watch live TV on their iPad at fricking home?!! I'm sure someone can provide a plausible example...

If you have kids or even married and want to watch something different than what is on the big screen, it'll be nice.

Hardly earth-shattering, but it would be nice if they ever get out of a couple of test markets. Even that will take them a year to do.

I hate Comcast SOOOOOO MUCH.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Who the hell needs to watch live TV on their iPad at fricking home?!! I'm sure someone can provide a plausible example, but this seems to be more of a niche/proof of concept than a killer app. I think I'm ditching cable also. Too many alternatives to justify the price these days.

here's a couple. You don't want to buy a TV for every room in your house (i.e. Kitchen, Laundry Room...bathroom, or your bratty kid's bedroom, and even the back patio).

-Your cooking in the kitchen and want to follow along with the cooking show.

-Your timer went off on the dryer and want to take TV with you when you're folding clothes.

-A good way to ground the little ones by taking away the iPad for a week.

-Watch TV while lounging on the back patio enjoying fresh air.

I agree, it's kind of silly that it's limited to just current cable subscribers though...

However, I think this might be where Apple is going with the HDTV they are rumored to be building for a 2012 launch. I think the HDTV will be just the hub and the App associated with it will be able to work on your iPad/phone/touch.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    tenzotenzo Posts: 27member
    Quote:

When one is on the pooper!
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

If you have kids or even married and want to watch something different than what is on the big screen, it'll be nice.

Hardly earth-shattering, but it would be nice if they ever get out of a couple of test markets. Even that will take them a year to do.

I hate Comcast SOOOOOO MUCH.

i hate it verrrrrrrrrrrrry much...

when i ordered a residential internet service, the phone was dropped once. then month later, i was given a 2 bills for 2 services at the same address location. i spent some hours to argue with them for the mistake they had, but no avail even though my name and phone number on this extra service are not correct. so i decided to pay and close the wrong account.

i did not need their modem and they still charged me $7 per month.

i do have another internet access with them for work. i called many times to find how to reset my billing information, no one there can even find my account at comcast. i even provided account number and they flatly rejected it as it is not long enough:-(. finally, after digging out the old emails, it is found that there is another billing site specific for business customers. but the phone i used in previous calls is specific for business customers.

they keep calling me for cable tv service and i refused no matter how the deal will be. one time they teased me for a $0 for 3 months, i declined because i am afraid that i would be charged astronomically if i forget to terminate the service on time even for one day.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    And why is it so unbelievable that Apple can't partner with cable companies to deliver cable content over wifi in their next TV? You pay the cable company and don't need a box.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

And why is it so unbelievable that Apple can't partner with cable companies

Because they're the problem, not the solution.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenzo View Post

When one is on the pooper!

lol....sh!ttyvision.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I'm thinking the fine print is something like this....

Comcast "AnyPlay" now available to HD TriplePlay Subscribers only. Some restrictions may apply. "AnyPlay" wifi receiver at $22.99/month required for wireless television service. 50mb Cable Modem service at $79.99/month required for "AnyPlay" streaming. Subscription to Comcast's HD TriplePlay at $99.99/month required. Only 1 device can access "AnyPlay" in your home at one time. Optional "AnyPlay" Double Service for an additional $12.99/month required for multiple device streaming. $35 activation fee required for installation and $10/month "wireless support fee" per device, per home. All channels not available at launch. New Subscribers can sign up now for only $129.99 per month to receive HD TriplePlay + AnyPlay Service in your home. 5 Year Contract Required. Current customers can lick our left nut and continue paying full price while we periodically raise your bill without informing you and on top of that charge you late fees when you don't pay...you broke loser.

Or something along those lines : )
  • Reply 14 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

The wifi part helps. There are places in my house where I'd like to have the TV on while I do other things. Most of my TV watching is live sports, and I don't want an extra cable wire and box going into those rooms for the occasional game coverage.

Wonder if this will have a airplay function, so I can push it onto an appleTV? It eliminates the cable and box, itself kind of cool. For the price.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Who the hell needs to watch live TV on their iPad at fricking home?!! I'm sure someone can provide a plausible example, but this seems to be more of a niche/proof of concept than a killer app.

Nail on head.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

This is an utterly boring development. Another sign of the terrible lack of innovation coming from the telcos such as Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc.

Quote:

When most of the networks are making content available to watch on demand on the Xfinity app, the only thing that will drive live viewing is news, sports and special events like award shows. I can see why the networks are excited about live TV viewing on the iPad, but I don't think it's going to be a very big deal to consumers who are already used to watching most things on demand or DVR.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I agree that this is not earth shattering but I believe that this is true progress towards more mobile adoption of major cable providers.

So if I understand this correctly, I could have 1 paid for cable box, plus stream to additional iPads. So I could essentially stop paying for additional boxes.

Sounds good to me!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

And why is it so unbelievable that Apple can't partner with cable companies to deliver cable content over wifi in their next TV? You pay the cable company and don't need a box.

Maybe because the content does not belong to the cable company. The content belongs to the studios, such as FOX, ABC, HBO. Cable company to pay for each channel, even over the air ones.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    "only one device could be used at a time to stream live TV programs"

That kills it right there.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

"only one device could be used at a time to stream live TV programs"

That kills it right there.

Dude, THAT'S A JOKE. It's not the actual fine print. As far as I can tell, they haven't really even figured out the exact terms. But that's probably not far off.

What does kill it is that 1) You need YET ANOTHER BOX from the cable company, so that 2) it's only watchable within WiFi distance of your router. Pay once, watch anywhere? Not likely from Comca$t.