Rumor: 250 Apple employees attending CES despite no official presence

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Though Apple elects not to exhibit at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev., a new report claims more than 250 of its employees, including vice president Greg Joswiak, are attending the event.

A person familiar with Apple's plans has indicated to Reuters that over 250 of Apple's employees are registered for this week's show.

Meanwhile, paidContent's Tom Krazit spotted Joswiak, who heads Apple's iOS product marketing division, outside of Sony's booth on Tuesday. Krazit noted that Joswiak's badge was "strategically arranged" to cover his name and company affiliation.

"Joswiak said he was interested in how other companies present their products at events such as CES, from things like booth layout and aesthetics to which products are highlighted within a company’s booth," the report read.

While the Cupertino, Calif., company has famously avoided CES, its presence has still been felt at the show. This year, numerous companies are showing off ultrabooks and tablets that take design cues from Apple's own MacBook Air and iPad. In addition, makers of components such as the GPU and the glass cover for the iPhone have also made announcements about their products at the show. The Siri voice assistant found in the iPhone 4S appears to have led to a strong emphasis on voice control functionality at this year's CES.

In recent years, Apple has moved away from trade shows in favor of planning its own media events, which offer greater control and more flexible timing. The company backed out of the Macworld conference in 2009.

Long-time rival Microsoft actually followed suit by announcing that the 2012 CES will be the last time it gives the keynote and has a booth. CEO Steve Ballmer delivered the company's last CES keynote on Monday. His presentation raised eyebrows when a gospel choir came on stage to sing out Twitter posts about the keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Of course, they are tech nerds, going to a tech show, that's all there is to it.

It's not like the company has them walking around looking for patent violations or anything...
  • Reply 2 of 36
    249 from the legal team to deal with the blatant copies, and

1 looking for something new and innovative.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    "This year, numerous companies are showing off ultrabooks and tablets that take design cues from Apple's own MacBook Air and iPad"

Design clues? No seriously, those are shameless rips off, plain and simple.

"In addition, makers of components such as the GPU and the glass cover for the iPhone have also made announcements about their products at the show."

I hope that you don't believe that Apple needs to go to CES to know what its partners are up to, do you?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Obviously they will be "copying" everything they see and getting ready to design, build and test the iPad 3 before having millions of them made, packed and shipped in a couple of months time, all based on what they are seeing now at CES.

No doubt we will hear this version of history countless times over the ensuing months.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I imagine they walk around with the new recruits acting like doctors with interns. "Can you see what's wrong with this product?" "It's 2012 and they still have a VGA port on their ultrabook." "Yes, yes - you'll make a fine Apple employee."
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I imagine they walk around with the new recruits acting like doctors with interns. "Can you see what's wrong with this product?" "It's 2012 and they still have a VGA port on their ultrabook." "Yes, yes - you'll make a fine Apple employee."

Brilliant!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Apple doesn't need to. They have their own show. And on top of that there is the Mac World.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:

Actually I'm glad some devices still carry vga, and RJ45 LAN for that matter.

I often need to use a laptop at a customers location for work or presentation and 9 out of 10 times wireless is out of the question, and available installed projectors only offer vga cables.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

And I've been watching re-runs of Scrubs lately. If Steve was there, he would have made a fine Dr. Cox!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Long-time rival Microsoft actually followed suit by announcing that the 2012 CES will be the last time it gives the keynote and has a booth. CEO Steve Ballmer delivered the company's last CES keynote on Monday. His presentation raised eyebrows when a gospel choir came on stage to sing out Twitter posts about the keynote.

I don't really need to say anything at this point.

Okay well maybe one thing.

WHAT!?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    No doubt Apple is checking out the products, features and tech being introduced at CES. They've always paid attention to what the "other guys" are doing. Perhaps there's several good ideas they'll come across, find a way to improve, and include in a future Apple product. There's smart guys with vision in a lot of places. They aren't all under contract to Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

WHAT!?

The choir represents.... Microsofts.... errr....

Ahh forget it. There's no explanation for that other than someone who is completely unhinged is making decisions about what should be in the keynote.

I wonder, did they sing "What a boring keynote?" I can't imagine anyone saying anything else about it...
  • Reply 13 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No doubt Apple is checking out the products, features and tech being introduced at CES. They've always paid attention to what the "other guys" are doing. Perhaps there's several good ideas they'll come across, find a way to improve, and include in a future Apple product. There's smart guys with vision in a lot of places. They aren't all under contract to Apple.

It could indeed be a covert operation. It is rumoured that all 250 Apple employees have been specially trained and selected. After extracting the information they need from whoever the meet at CES, they will wave their iPhone in front of the victim and say, "This is not the company that attended CES".
  • Reply 14 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

The choir represents.... Microsofts.... errr....

Ahh forget it. There's no explanation for that other than someone who is completely unhinged is making decisions about what should be in the keynote.

I wonder, did they sing "What a boring keynote?" I can't imagine anyone saying anything else about it...

Next year Shatner will be doing spoken word, Halo-themed songs.

"Yes, I'm the real Master Chief, all you other Chiefs are just imitatin'

So will the real Master Chief, please stand up, please stand up,

Do please stand up..."
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

They are singing:

"Uuuuhhh... Uuuuhhh.... Uuuuuuuuhhhh..... oh noooooooo!"
  • Reply 16 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Of course, they are tech nerds, going to a tech show, that's all there is to it.

That's naive.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Apple doesn't need to. They have their own show. And on top of that there is the Mac World.

iWorld
  • Reply 18 of 36
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

WHAT!?

Something wrong with having black people singing at your product launch. Don't knock microsoft cause they let black people on their stage every now and then and apple don't.

just kidding, apple loves black people. The iphone is huge in Africa
  • Reply 19 of 36
    This is called business intelligence!
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

This is called business intelligence!

And scouting trade shows is the legal way of doing it, as opposed to the whole 'corporate espionage' scene.