Apple becomes No. 3 PC maker in US with industry-leading 21% growth

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Apple climbed to third place among U.S. PC vendors in the fourth quarter of 2011 as the rest of the top five vendors saw shipments decline year over year as part of a worldwide contraction in the PC market, according to a new analysis.

Research group Gartner released preliminary PC shipment results for the fourth quarter of 2011. According to the report, Apple saw 20.7 percent growth of Mac sales in the U.S. market from the year ago quarter, pushing it past Toshiba and Acer to take the No. 3 spot behind HP and Dell. Its estimated 2.1 million Mac shipments during the period gave it an 11.6 share of the market.

Faced with the possibility that HP would spin off its PC business, customers shied away from the world's largest PC maker in the fourth quarter, causing a 26.1 percent decline year over year. Shipments fell from 5.6 million in the last quarter of 2010 to 4.1 million in the most recent quarter. HP's new CEO Meg Whitman worked to resolve the uncertainty by announcing in October that the company would keep its PC business, but the damage appeared to have already been done.

The firm estimates second-place Dell had a 4.5 percent decline in shipments from 4.2 million in the year ago quarter to 4.0 million in the most recent quarter. Oddly enough, the company still gained market share as the overall PC market in the U.S. saw a larger decline of 5.9 percent.

Toshiba's shipments declined from 1.97 million a year ago to 1.93 in the December quarter, leaving it with 10.7 percent market share. Acer came in fifth after an 11.4 percent decline in shipments.

Credit: Gartner

Weak holiday shipments around the world resulted in a 1.4 percent decline year over year in the global PC market. Shipments totaled 92.2 million units during the most recent quarter, compared to 93.5 million last year. HP remained the No. 1 vendor worldwide, despite a 16.2 percent drop in shipments. Lenovo climbed to second place with 23 percent growth. Dell, Acer and Asus rounded out the top five PC vendors.

“While economic uncertainty in Western Europe had an effect on consumer PC shipments, expectations of a healthier economic outlook in North America could not stimulate consumer PC demand in that region," principal analyst Mikako Kitagawa said. "The healthy professional PC market as well as growth in emerging markets could not compensate for the weaknesses in mature markets, with overall growth still negative.”

Gartner attributed some of the slowdown in overall PC sales to a lack of consumer interest in Intel's new ultrabook initiative. The firm did, however, note that 2012 will be a "big debut stage" for the category, based on the range of ultrabooks on display at the Consumer Electronics Show this week.

“Ultrabooks were quietly introduced into the market during the 4Q11 holiday season,” Kitagawa said. “Ultrabooks didn’t seem to draw consumers’ attention. Consumers had very little understanding and awareness of ultrabooks, and only a small group of consumers was willing to pay the price premium for such models."

Analysts also warned that the negative impact of hard-disk drive (HDD) shortages brought about by floods in Thailand last October may not have been fully realized in the fourth quarter. They expect a "major impact" will materialize in the first half of 2012 and could potentially continue throughout the year. The shortages are expected to affect PC shipment growth during 2012.

For its part, Apple is not expected to be seriously affected by the Thailand HDD shortage. Inventory data provided to AppleInsider last month revealed few of the strains that the rest of the industry is experiencing. The growing success of the MacBook Air, which eschews an HDD in favor of a solid-state drive, has been viewed as one factor that helped Apple avoid shortages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Where's slap-happy? I can't wait to see him explain how this information proves beyond any doubt that Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Let's frame these numbers a different way.

Subtract Apple's sales from the 4Q2011 and 4Q2010 totals: the respective ex-Apple totals are 15.855M and 17.343M. Basically, the Windows PC industry went -8.6%, while Apple had +20.7%.

Apple is definitely doomed.

• Reply 3 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Where's slap-happy? I can't wait to see him explain how this information proves beyond any doubt that Apple is doomed.

Well he say that Apple is "under 10" and number 3 is definitely under 10.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    They're blaming the flooding in Thailand (as is Microsoft) but surely they should have all the components they need sitting around from all those PCs they didn't sell last quarter when sales declined "because of the economy", right?
  • Reply 5 of 53
    These don't include iPads right? I'd imagine the number to be higher if it did.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    This should shut the folks at OSNews up. For years they claimed that unless Apple licenses Mac OS it'll lose market share and go broke!
  • Reply 7 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

These don't include iPads right? I'd imagine the number to be hire if it did.

Of course. Some estimates put iPad sales as high as 22 M in the 4th quarter:

http://www.t3.com/news/apple-ipad-2-...on-units-in-q4

That would make Apple the leader by far. However, I don't buy it. I don't really think that iPads should be included in computer sales for most purposes.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:

No, these numbers do not include iPads. The industry would go apesh1t if Apple was listed as the number one computer seller in the world.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    By the basic definition of what and computer is and what it does. The iPad is most certainly a computer. I think at this point the industry isn't ready to accept that notion. Because the iPad breaks a lot of the conventions of the traditional computer.

I believe in the near future, most computers people use will be more like the iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That would make Apple the leader by far. However, I don't buy it. I don't really think that iPads should be included in computer sales for most purposes.

• Reply 10 of 53
    Burying their head in the sand and ignoring where the hockey puck is going.

Half of the devices at CES are wireless devices intended to be used with the iPhone and iPad. Speakers, printers, and hard drives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

No, these numbers do not include iPads. The industry would go apesh1t if Apple was listed as the number one computer seller in the world.

• Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

By the basic definition of what and computer is and what it does. The iPad is most certainly a computer. I think at this point the industry isn't ready to accept that notion. Because the iPad breaks a lot of the conventions of the traditional computer.

I believe in the near future, most computers people use will be more like the iPad.

How can they pioneer a new category of mobile device and have it be considered in an old category. They have in reality somewhere upwards of 75% of the tablet market. That's just awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Who in their right mind would by a dell/HP/ms pos? Ugh!
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Who in their right mind would by a dell/HP/ms pos? Ugh!

I am on my sixth Dell machine. The only problem I have ever had is a broken keyboard. I have not always purchased mid to high level computers too. A pretty good track record for a pos.

Made 500% on Dell stock in the late 90's. Plenty more money left to buy more Dell machines.

Apple units- I will pass.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

I am on my sixth Dell machine. The only problem I have ever had is a broken keyboard. I have not always purchased mid to high level computers too. A pretty good track record for a pos.

Made 500% on Dell stock in the late 90's. Plenty more money left to buy more Dell machines.

Apple units- I will pass.

I used to buy nothing but Dell's, right up until between 2005 and 2007, they went to crap. Whenever I had a problem prior to 2004 or 2005, Icould talk to a knowledgable American tech. After that, I got transferred to Pakistan or India and had difficulties understanding the person at the other end. Additionally, my high end laptops and desktops started having more and more hardware failures. In 2008, I simply had enough of having motherboard replacements, fan failures, keyboard failures, etc... Switched to Mac and haven't look back. I have bought numerous Macbooks, Macbook Pro's, iphones, ipads and iMac's, and not a single one has had a problem. Not one! Wonder why Apple is #1 in customer satisfaction?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Let's frame these numbers a different way.

Subtract Apple's sales from the 4Q2011 and 4Q2010 totals: the respective ex-Apple totals are 15.855M and 17.343M. Basically, the Windows PC industry went -8.6%, while Apple had +20.7%.

Apple is definitely doomed.

Is that right? My calculations ended up with a 16.82% drop in non-Mac PCs YoY.

edit: I made a mistake...

4Q11: 17,929,764 total PCs - 2,074,800 Mac PCs = 15,854,964

4Q10: 19,061,005 total PCs- 1,718,400 Mac PCs = 17,342,605

Difference = -1,487,641 = -8.6%

You're right. I forget to remove Apple's 2010 numbers from my original calculations.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Wow! HP really took it on the chin last quarter. No surprise here. Apple has been doing really well with their lineup and Dell is gaining on HP. Of course Apple is still experiencing growth, but it will be interesting to see what happens when other's flood the market with Ultrabooks...
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Tablets aren't at all new. Apple is just the first company to do it right.

Quote:

How can they pioneer a new category of mobile device and have it be considered in an old category. They have in reality somewhere upwards of 75% of the tablet market. That's just awesome.

• Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Fail!

If you had gone the right way about this and saved up the money you spent on all those Dell machines you would almost be able to afford a Mac Book by now.

• Reply 19 of 53
    From 1999 to today I've owned four Apple computers.

iMac G3 from 1999 - 2004

PowerBook G4 from 2003 - 2009

PowerMac G5 from 2004 - 2009

MacBook Pro from 2009 to today.

Quote:

• Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Never saw that. Thanks, a new one. Now I need to incorporate it. I guess it is a brain thing, as they both sound alike and one writes the other one. Happens to me too.