Rumor: Sharp's IGZO display didn't make the cut for Apple's third-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A new report claims Sharp will not be supplying display panels for Apple's third-generation iPad, suggesting its touted IGZO technology will not appear in this generation of devices.

Instead, displays for the iPad 3 will be provided exclusively by Samsung and LG, KoreaIT News said it has "confirmed" in a report published this week. It added that while Sharp was in fact developing display panels for a so-called "iPad 3," the company "failed in initial supply."

Mass production of third-generation iPad panels reportedly began in late 2011. That production is said to have begun with Samsung, while LG picked up full capacity at the beginning of 2012.

The report reiterated rumors that the next iPad will feature a XQGA high-resolution 2,048-by-1,536-pixel display. Production of the new iPad will occur at Foxconn and, as with last year, the new model will go on sale soon after it is announced.

Sharp has been working on its own oxide material for LCD displays made of indium, gallium and zinc, known as IGZO. Recent reports claimed that Apple planned to switch to Sharp's IGZO displays for its next iPad.

Adopting IGZO technology could allow Apple to make the iPad even thinner while still sporting a 330 dots-per-inch screen resolution. Non-IGZO displays may require dual-LED light bars to illuminate a "Retina Display," which could add thickness to the touchscreen tablet.

The latest news out of Korea claims that Sharp's oxide semiconductor TFT panels "failed to pass Apple's approval process for mass production." With Samsung and LG as its primary suppliers, Apple reportedly plans to purchase more than 65 million LCD panels for the third-generation iPad this year.

Apple is expected to unveil its third-generation iPad in March, matching the timeframe with which the iPad 2 was unveiled in 2011. Apple will hold an event next week to make an education announcement, but numerous reports have indicated that no new hardware will be unveiled at the New York City media briefing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple needs to get away from samsung as supplier, stop feeding the beast that steals your IP
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

apple needs to get away from samsung as supplier, stop feeding the beast that steals your IP

a nice sentiment, but far easier said than done if they are the only people capable of making what you require in the necessary quality and quantity...
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Rumor: Apple had requested test panels from Sharp but had decided long ago that it wasn't what they wanted for the iPad 3 (for reasons only Sir Jonny knows) and there was never any deal to be a supplier. Someone leaked that Sharp was supposed to be to try to play games with the stock value. Nothing more or less (same as many of the rumors)
  • Reply 4 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So Retina Display (265ppi) feasible for the early 2012 release or will the sourcing and other consumer issues affect its release?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    *hint* Apple gave Sharp over 500 million last year to build displays to them. Apple would not have given Sharp the money if they failed the approval process.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

and just maybe the lawsuits are there just as part of normal corporate strategy to get your patents recognized by a court
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Retina Display (265ppi) feasible for the early 2012 release or will the sourcing and other consumer issues affect its release?

Displays have been ready since early Q4 last year. The problem is 28nm manufacturing for A6. TSMC is late and just now starting to ship 28nm processors/SoC.

Everything is starting to line up. A6 Quad Core ARM15 at 1.5+ghz. PowerVR Rouge graphics. (up to 10 times faster then todays graphic. Almost 3 times as fast as PS Vita). Displays from Sharp.

One of the bigger questions is if Qualcomm can produce 28nm LTE SoCs to Apple. Apple wants to move to LTE as soon as possible to stop paying royalties to Nokia. 28nm LTE would take away the battery penalty that todays shipping LTE stuff have.

In iOS drivers there have been 2 different Ipad's reported. The question is if Apple is going to lower the price on Ipad2, would they give that its own new hardware ID? Maybe Apple adds LTE to Ipad2 to save royalty money and that is the reason for the new model ID. Or is it the 7 inch tablet?

This is what makes Apple fun. We have a good general idea on what is coming, but not specifics.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    I still can't believe that people are saying the new iPad will be thicker. I mean, that'd be like releasing a new iPhone with worse battery life.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    It will be intresting to see what happens this year with Samsung/Apple. Many reports suggest that Samsung will manufacture A6 and Ipad displays.

Apple use today Samsung manufactured A4/5, Nand Flash and displays.

Apple is moving A class SoCs to TSMC. Apple bought a Nand Flash controller company so that they can make their own flash memory. Apple gave Sharp 500+ millions last year to ramp up manufacturing of Retina display. 2012 can be the year that Apple and Samsung cuts its ties. Samsung looses its biggest customer that is 7% of Samsung's revenue.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Everything is starting to line up. A6 Quad Core ARM15 at 1.5+ghz. PowerVR Rouge graphics. (up to 10 times faster then todays graphic. Almost 3 times as fast as PS Vita). Displays from Sharp

I've seen nothing hinting toward that. It all seems to be quad-core Cortex-A9 for the 1st half of 2012 and dual-core Cortex-A15 of the 2nd half.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I still can't believe that people are saying the new iPad will be thicker. I mean, that'd be like releasing a new iPhone with worse battery life.

Actually it's like Apple releasing a thicker iPhone than previous model. The 2nd and 3rd generation iPhone were thicker than the original. Apple has also increased weight going with the iPhone 4/4S over the previous models.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    I'd be funny if the retina display iPad was never, ever real, and created entirely by the rumor mill and the gullible.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've seen nothing hinting toward that. It all seems to be quad-core Cortex-A9 for the 1st half of 2012 and dual-core Cortex-A15 of the 2nd half.

Actually it's like Apple releasing a thicker iPhone than previous model. The 2nd and 3rd generation iPhone were thicker than the original. Apple has also increased weight going with the iPhone 4/4S over the previous models.

I agree with you that the A6 in the iPad 3 will be quad-core A9 CPU & GPU but I don't think you'll see an Apple processor this year using the Cortex A15 CPU or the PowerVR Rogue GPU. My theory is the iPhone "5" will use the same A5 as the iPhone 4S but manufactured using a 28nm process instead of 45nm. This will definitely help in reduced power consumption & manufacturing costs for the processor.

The A7 next year is when you see Cortex A15 the Rogue GPU in action - think iPad 3S & iPhone "5S." Again, that's just my theory.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Like THAT'S never happened before *cough* iPhone 3G, 3GS *cough*
  • Reply 14 of 64
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple bought a Nand Flash controller company so that they can make their own flash memory

One of those has nothing to do with the other. The purchase of Anobit doesn't give Apple any capability whatsoever to product flash memory. In fact, there's no evidence whatsoever that Anobit has any flash memory production capabilities - design or manufacturing. Anobit is about controllers that provide more efficient and reliable usage of even "lower quality" NAND flash.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    That's one way to drive Sharp down in stock value. You talk it up and now talk it down.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

I agree with you that the A6 in the iPad 3 will be quad-core A9 CPU & GPU but I don't think you'll see an Apple processor this year using the Cortex A15 CPU or the PowerVR Rogue GPU. My theory is the iPhone "5" will use the same A5 as the iPhone 4S but manufactured using a 28nm process instead of 45nm. This will definitely help in reduced power consumption & manufacturing costs for the processor.

The A7 next year is when you see Cortex A15 the Rogue GPU in action - think iPad 3S & iPhone "5S." Again, that's just my theory.

The Rogue and A15 samples and design have been in Apple's hands for a year.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Rogue and A15 samples and design have been in Apple's hands for a year.

Are you sure about this? If that's the case then I see no reason for the A6 not to include these technologies this year beginning with the iPad 3. Even in dual-core CPU / GPU form the A6 would rock with the A15 CPU and Rogue GPU.

I only have my doubts because the A15 was only officially announced late last year and the Rogue GPU was officially demoed at CES this week.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Are you sure about this? If that's the case then I see no reason for the A6 not to include these technologies this year beginning with the iPad 3. Even in dual-core CPU / GPU form the A6 would rock with the A15 CPU and Rogue GPU.

I only have my doubts because the A15 was only officially announced late last year and the Rogue GPU was officially demoed at CES this week.

With four times the number of pixels the GPU needs to be a least four times as fast. The CPU doesn't have to be much faster apart from its memory buses, so I suspect an A9 core would be sufficient (and certainly in line with Apples previous CPU choices). With GPUs Apple is ahead of the game, so it's not impossible that the most recent GPU is indeed included, probably with a modest amount of cores.

J.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:

I don't see it happening. Having the designs for the ARM chip doesn't mean the SoC is complete or that production is possible. If you consider the number of units Apple sells out of the gate with their A* PoPs they will need plenty and I don't think I saw anyone at CES releasing any Cortex-A15 products in the first half of the year.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

With four times the number of pixels the GPU needs to be a least four times as fast.

J.

is it such a straightforward linear relationship between pixels and gpu? Just wondering.