Apple announces education event in New York City next Thursday, Jan. 19

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

So Apple can do it. But they won't...

Apple doesn't give much to charity.... and nothing to it's shareholders.

I think Apple has given more than enough to its shareholders. Just because they don't pay dividend doesn't mean that shareholders don't get anything (especially considering the rate at which Apple stock has soared since '97).
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iMessage makes more sense on the Mac than iBooks. The whole point here is to hold the book in your hand. I won't care if iBooks never comes to the Mac, not doing so allows Apple to focus more on making iBooks great as opposed to it being everywhere.

Nah, whether you jump on an iPad or get home and want to look up stuff in the textbook on a Mac, synchronized notes, bookmarks, and other data through iCloud will make multi-platform iBooks important.

Or who knows...maybe it will be a completely new app for textbooks and education.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

How about just allowing the textbook industry (and perhaps even the regular book industry) to 'loan' books in iBookstore.

They schools could buy eBooks and loan them to students for a course. Then the eBook could be loaned to a different student the next year. Seems pretty easy and would make iBooks *MUCH BETTER*.

Because that idea has no creativity or vision. Apple is better than that. They give you what you didn't know you needed.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:

And would an $8B donation put a crimp in Apple?

Dare ya to Google Apple's savings/cash in bank war chest... (hint, it's over $80 BILLION)

Apple gives plenty to intelligent shareholders. It's called increasing the stock price.

And Apple gives to the world in technological advancement where other companies are stale and just out for money.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think we need an adequate authoring platform before we will see many textbooks on iBooks. Right now the closest thing we have to build enhanced format iBooks is inDesign and then fine tune it with a text editor.

I agree completely. And especially when it comes to eMags, the choice is Adobe's pricing structure or a unwieldy combination of open source tools. I have my fingers crossed on Apple providing a solution (though not holding my breath), but this is what really is needed to help producers get content out into the market.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But I don't know what to do with all those eMacs and iPad docks…

They're callin' again…"

So. What's this gonna be about?

low cost e-ink...

or a special low cost iPad that is given away with "a plan" by publishers. So free iPad but you still have to pay for your school books. Since they will be digital its lower cost for the publishers so it makes up for the iPad cost.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Quote:

FWIW - Apple's record on Charitable giving is horribly pathetic. The last new worthy item was a $2.6 million dollar company match... as in employees raised $1.3m, Apple came up with the other $1.3m. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...onprofits.html).

Try finding any kind of giving by Apple corporate.

Dare ya to Google Apple's savings/cash in bank war chest... (hint, it's over $80 BILLION)

Go crawl back into the basement.. Or back the OWS crowd..

Apple is not in business to give anything to anyone... Apple has the $80B by EARNING it... If you want to find the real cheapskates when it come to giving to charity, just look at Al Gore, or any liberal for that matter..

And as a LONG time Apple investor I am VERY happy with Apple...
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:

FWIW - Apple's record on Charitable giving is horribly pathetic. The last new worthy item was a $2.6 million dollar company match... as in employees raised $1.3m, Apple came up with the other $1.3m. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...onprofits.html).

Just in case no one taught you, companies are not required to "give" anything to anyone besides the product or service they offer in trade for money or some other unit of exchange.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It seems like forever since Apple had a specific event/news for education. Glad to see Apple is going back to its roots and shoring it up.

I'd like to see an upgrade to iLife and iWork for the Mac while they are at it. All signs point to iDevices getting all the attention while the iSoftware grows long in the tooth. It makes me believe all the more that OSX's days are numbered. We'll find out if that's true or not come WWDC.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iMessage makes more sense on the Mac than iBooks. The whole point here is to hold the book in your hand. I won't care if iBooks never comes to the Mac, not doing so allows Apple to focus more on making iBooks great as opposed to it being everywhere.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Nah, whether you jump on an iPad or get home and want to look up stuff in the textbook on a Mac, synchronized notes, bookmarks, and other data through iCloud will make multi-platform iBooks important.

Or who knows...maybe it will be a completely new app for textbooks and education.

For casual reading, the iPad is better than a laptop (or desktop). But for situations where one combines note-taking or web research with reading, then the iPad is an inferior device, IMO. I prefer a proper keyboard and the larger array of related apps on a PC (Windows or Mac), not to mention the simultaneous availability of both the book, the browser and, for example, Word in different windows on the PC. So yeah, I think having iBooks on the Mac is essential. This is why I buy most of my ebooks via the Kindle app.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:

Why does Apple have to give anything to shareholders? I have never held shares believing that I am entitled to anything more than the company's honest accounting, and diligence in growing revenues and profits. To buy shares of a well run company and then being disappointed by the lack of dividends is akin to buying juicy grapes and complaining they are seedless.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:

Part of the annoucement will be the iGive program that will do automatically donate to your designated charities, like bill payments.

But most will use the iDontgiveadamn app instead.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It would take a LOT of additional sales to make up for 8B, I don't think Apple would get ROI for that.

Now if the Department of Education teamed up with Apple and took 8B from their 71B annual budget to do that, I think that would have a bigger impact than feeding that money to the bloated government bureaucracy it has become.

I've heard of the "Apple tax" but this is ridiculous.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But I don't know what to do with all those eMacs and iPad docks?

They're callin' again?"

So. What's this gonna be about?

Nice nod to "Frasier".
  • Reply 55 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

if I want to ruin my kids eyes I ll get them to read on an lcd screen such as the one the ipad has... no, I ll stick with textbooks, dog eared, with sticky notes, flipping through the pages...

iPad 3 should be retina, so moot about the eyes, and zooming in on detailed figures is better than squinting. I do like the physical nature of a book but it is a waste of natural resources and weighs too much. People will have to learn to use bookmarks - digitally dog eared.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

iPad 3 should be retina, so moot about the eyes, and zooming in on detailed figures is better than squinting. I do like the physical nature of a book but it is a waste of natural resources and weighs too much. People will have to learn to use bookmarks - digitally dog eared.

Haven't you heard, since eInk came out screen with a light behind it will ruin your eyes, give you headaches, and make it impossible to use for any length of time. It's a good thing no one told everything who has owned a TV or computer that this would happen or the 12 hours a day people are working at computers and watching TV would have impossible.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I agree completely. And especially when it comes to eMags, the choice is Adobe's pricing structure or a unwieldy combination of open source tools. I have my fingers crossed on Apple providing a solution (though not holding my breath), but this is what really is needed to help producers get content out into the market.

There are no open source tools for Enhanced Format iBooks that I know of besides a text editor. The point being is that Apple does not acknowledge Adobe as having anything to contribute to the new mobile publishing concept although I would not be surprised if internally Apple is quietly using Adobe's tools to produce everything from websites to TV ads. When it comes to inDesign, the question is not one of price for publishers, it is work flow. Currently there is no way to preview your work without loading it up on an iOS device. Then go back to the desktop to make edits and load it up again on the iOS device. I don't know about other publishers but I go through the process of edit then review about a million times per project.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

I agree; a book is way more natural, but once I started a book and continued it on the iPad it had so much advantages. I just got back from a skiing strip, my friend driving through the mountains and me reading the 'old' book on the way up. But after skiing and driving back it would get dark and the iPad is so much 'easier' to use than a torch or special book lamp.

For some, the change of a font can make a difference. For me, it was the ability to buy a book online with just my Apple ID, and even downloading the same book on my iPhone at a restaurant wit free WiFi (didn't want to roam for the mere 4MB, which still is expensive in Europe).

I like iBooks, its ease of use. Will miss peoples' bookshelves in their homes; always nice to browse at a reception. This is going to be awkward, asking for someones iPad, '...May I browse your reading habits?'.

Now, a low charge for lending books digitally is a great idea. All kids walking around with an iPad instead of heavy books. Creating a market for instant feedback learning ways, focussing in on an individual, not an entire classroom. Go on Apple, disrupt education.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Here's a cool (albeit unlikely) possibility: a new, smaller, cheaper, kiosk friendly, education-only iMac with a hinged stand that allows it to be more parallel to the table that is touch friendly allowing for easy page turning of the new eBooks for iBooks. the student can log in with their apple ID, and all of their notes sync via the cloud to be seen later at their own computer, another iMac, iDevice, etc.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    If Apple wants to capture the education market again, the iPad is their key. If they play this right, it could be the 80s all over again!

It's not a surprise if they are making a bid for the education market, it's how they gained market share in the 80s. Of course then, the best they could get was a few computers in a library, or a computer lab... Now, the game is bigger. With bureaucracies screaming for digital education materials, and the majority of school districts at only 40-60% reliable Internet at home, mobile education solutions need to be mobile, powerful, stable, and resilient. That pretty much sums up the iPad platform.

However, Apple is not a content company, they handle hardware and the middleware necessary to efficiently implement other peoples content ( and get their 30%). If Apple wants to go hip deep into education, they are going to need to do a bit more then bring out some ePad. They are going to need to negotiate with the textbook publishers and devise a equitable content delivery platform for Textbooks.

Personally, I don't think iBooks or the ePub format is going to cut it, they will have to do better.