Bloomberg: LTE-capable iPad 3 production underway, to launch in March

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If the next iPad has LTE won't that mark the first time an iPad has beat the iPhone to market in cellular network performance?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't forget iPad 3 3G will also be a world mode product. Surprised AI didn't mention that.

So only 12 models this time instead of 18, which is good news for Apple and its customers.

I wonder if that will be the case in the US since the basebands for the iPhone 4S are pre-flashed for each of the 3 carriers, something I thought was an annoying limitation of CDMA. I hope you're right as 24 models for the US market seems ridiculous.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All that being said what iOS devices really need is more RAM. An iPad with 2GB of RAM would be delightful.

More RAM means more power usage, especially at idle.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

iOS does not need more team

Right. There is no i(OS) in team.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

LTE is a different plan, so you would have to jump off the 3G unlimited into one of the new plans. I'm not positive if you would have to because you purchase an LTE device or if you would only have to if you want to take advantage of LTE speeds though.

Not really, it would still need to have 3G to fall back on in non-LTE areas.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman2u View Post

• Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman2u View Post

But there is in WiN.

You really that Michael Jordan had the same response when a particular coach told him "There is no 'i' in team"?
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Apple can't disappoint because Apple is not the source of all the wild speculation. No promises have been made, not a single one. .

Call me crazy but when I look at the screen on the iPad 2 my eyes aren't exactly hurting from the pixels. I'd almost rather have OLED over retina to get better blacks but I guess OLED has other problems.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    "take a break during China's Lunar New Year"

Americans don't know what a real "break" can be.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

Call me crazy but when I look at the screen on the iPad 2 my eyes aren't exactly hurting from the pixels. I'd almost rather have OLED over retina to get better blacks but I guess OLED has other problems.

The advantages of the Retina Display are more obvious in some uses than others.

Yes, it is good for photographs.

However, the most important improvement is for reading text. But not in English. You need to throw away your Western-centric blinders.

The higher resolution of the Retina Display is particular good for people who do not use Western alphabets, particularly those who use logographic character systems.

Examples would be written Chinese and Japanese (the kanji character set for the latter). Those written symbols are very intricate and the additional resolution afforded by Retina Displays makes a world of difference.

Don't believe me? Find two iPhones, one iPhone 3G or 3GS, the other an iPhone 4 or 4S. Then go visit a site like www.apple.co.jp and peruse the site. You don't even need to read the language. It will be perfectly obvious how much more legible the site is on the device with the Retina Display.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    I hope it's the same form factor so I can not only still use my smart cover but also my Incipio case.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I hope it's the same form factor so I can not only still use my smart cover but also my Incipio case.

Good luck.

My suggestion? Prepare to treat these like a sunk cost.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that Apple will not increase their basic iPad price structure.

The entry level WiFi-only 3rd generation model -- which whatever memory, CPU and display -- will be priced at $499. It is highly unlikely that Apple would take a 30% price increase.

I agree that there will not be a significant price increase. As such, if there is an upgrade in screen technology, it has to happen in a manner that does not cause a major leap in cost. I'm simply of the view that an iPad with a mid-point in price of something like $750 is DOA.

Besides, let's consider this carefully. What competitor is poised to release a tablet with Retina-like resolution in the next few months? Apple unveils a product and has it available for sale usually within a matter of weeks. Other manufacturers announce the stuff they hope to bring to market in the coming year. At CES this year we had OLEDs promised by LG and Samsung, by the end of the year and we had Sony showing off a prototype for a Crystal LED technology that might never be commercialized.

Even if in the next several months some competitor was able to bring a higher-resolution display to the tablet form factor, Apple is now selling so many iPads that it could respond rather quickly while justifying a production run of only about six months. You could sell millions of iPads between now and the release of an update with a high-resolution display in time for the holiday buying season. That would be worst-case and I really don't think we're there.

What I don't think is appreciated is that there is a huge difference between delivering a high-resolution 3.5-inch screen and producing something similar in a 9.7-inch form factor.

I would think the logical time frame for this would be a modest update for the iPad coming up in March and then a jump up to a higher-resolution screen Spring of 2013. An iPad using the current levels of resolution is a viable device for most of the people interested in such a device. If it was not, Apple never would have brought it to market in the first place, certainly not on Steve Jobs' watch. As such, what's the rush. The average iPad purchaser wants a useful tablet for in around the $500 price range. This is the sweet spot, if you will. Delivering a good tablet at that price, really, that's Apple's accomplishment. Having gotten that right, what reason is there to think that Apple's management would then abandon that wildly successful blueprint to deliver a technology no other company is close to introducing.

If you consider the rather measured, cautious upgrade path Apple has applied to the Touch and the iPhone, we should not expect otherwise for the iPad. If those devices have had rumours implying a faster upgrade path than the one Apple has followed, expect the same with the iPad. We're going to get an upgrade on the iPad in March that will initially be characterized as disappointing and the device will still be wildly popular. We've watched that scenario unfold before and it's because Apple is so secretive that media runs around speculating wildly about what's on the way. Been there, done that. No reason to expect otherwise.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    I skipped ipad2 waiting for retina, quadcore and LTE. This rumor make all that possible which will make me a very happy man. The other big thing I wanted was 128g but with the expense of retina display I doubt they will increase the storage. 1g of ram will be great IMHO 512m is just to little for retina resolution but it's not a deal breaker for me sins iOS DNA manage memory incredibly well...

Can't wait to pre-order if thisis true, credit card ready...
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

I skipped ipad2 waiting for retina, quadcore and LTE. This rumor make all that possible which will make me a very happy man. The other big thing I wanted was 128g but with the expense of retina display I doubt they will increase the storage. 1g of ram will be great IMHO 512m is just to little for retina resolution but it's not a deal breaker for me sins iOS DNA manage memory incredibly well...

Can't wait to pre-order if thisis true, credit card ready...

Even if such a device would see a price increase of something like $150?

I mean would you, given the choice, pay close to the current price to buy what would amount to a iPad 2S or would you pay significantly more for the device as you hope to see it introduced.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Sweetness. LTE launch in Austin just in time. Any bets if T will continue to honor the unlimited?

I wonder if Apple will reopen it's temp store in Downtown Austin during SXSW like last year. I was filming downtown for the festivities and remember seeing a long line wrapped around the entire block EVERY SINGLE DAY throughout the entire week. I barely held off on the iPad 2, but if everything rumored is coming to the iPad 3 I very well myself will be in this years line during SXSW 2012.

P.S. Apple if you do open the temp store, make it PERMANENT because a central Apple store is what Austin needs. Only 2 stores right now way North or way South. We need a CENTRAL. That is all! #Soapbox
  • Reply 36 of 49
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    With quad core, I can't help but go back to wondering if third party apps will get true multitasking. Seems like with that many cores to spare they could manage. But I can't see them adding that support without a new iOS revision.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Even if such a device would see a price increase of something like $150?

I mean would you, given the choice, pay close to the current price to buy what would amount to a iPad 2S or would you pay significantly more for the device as you hope to see it introduced.

Without Retina/LTE/Quadcore I probably won't upgrade and instead it for a MacBook air thunderbolt to replace my MacBook Pro. 8MP camera, 128g storage and 1g of ram are not deal breakers for me though...

So no I will not pay for a iPad 2S even if its cheaper I'm expecting retina/LTE/quad core on today's prices for iPad 2.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Without Retina/LTE/Quadcore I probably won't upgrade and instead it for a MacBook air thunderbolt to replace my MacBook Pro. 8MP camera, 128g storage and 1g of ram are not deal breakers for me though...

So no I will not pay for a iPad 2S even if its cheaper I'm expecting retina/LTE/quad core on today's prices for iPad 2.

That seems impossible to me but of course I don't have inside information.

I suspect that Apple is not interested in adding complexity and weight to the iPad to accommodate the higher resolution. This can happen eventually but it doesn't seem to be the case at this time, not using existing technology. On the other hand there could be technology available now to make more resolution on the iPad viable.

I guess we'll find out late next month or in March though I do think that bringing out a heavier, pricier iPad is not on Apple's radar.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

... Oh Joy. Proud owner of iPad 1 and 2. Can't wait till this things announced! Retina display will be beautiful.

Writing this from my free iPad 2...sort of. We got them for a grad class I'm in...ours for 7 weeks. I'm addicted. The better news is that iPad 3 should be announced right around the time I have to give this back.

I can only imagine the awesomeness of the Retina display. The displa on the iPad 2 is stunning by itself.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

That seems impossible to me but of course I don't have inside information.

I suspect that Apple is not interested in adding complexity and weight to the iPad to accommodate the higher resolution. This can happen eventually but it doesn't seem to be the case at this time, not using existing technology. On the other hand there could be technology available now to make more resolution on the iPad viable.

I guess we'll find out late next month or in March though I do think that bringing out a heavier, pricier iPad is not on Apple's radar.

I disagree there are a lot of android tablets with better resolution than the iPad and a lot more moming this year. If apple does not fo retina there harwear will look out dated and over price. The same for LTE, if CES show somthing is that all new tablets/phones will be LTE...