Apple is first technology company to join Fair Labor Association

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

The Fair Labor Association announced on Friday that Apple is now a participating member, making it the first technology company to earn that distinction.

By joining the FLA, Apple agrees to have the association independently assess facilities in its supply chain and report detailed findings on the association's website. Apple also agrees to uphold the FLA Workplace Code of Conduct throughout its supply chains, and commit to the association's Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing.

"We found that Apple takes supplier responsibility seriously and we look forward to their participation in the Fair Labor Association," Auret van Heerden, FLA's President and CEO, said in a press release. "We welcome Apple's commitment to greater transparency and independent oversight, and we hope its participation will set a new standard for the electronics industry."

The announcement comes the same day that Apple released its annual supplier responsibility report. The 2012 edition is Apple's most extensive yet, with 229 total audits conducted, and found that underage labor was significantly reduced last year among the company's suppliers, with no evidence of intentional underage labor.

"We're extremely proud to be the first technology company admitted to the FLA," said Jeff Williams, Apple's senior vice president of Operations. "Last year we performed more than 200 audits at our supplier's facilities around the world. With the benefit of the FLA's experience and expertise, we will continue to drive improvements for workers and provide even greater transparency into our supply chain."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.

Horrible.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Today seems like Apple "feel good" day with all this news
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Interesting. I thought that they were primarily an apparel/clothing manufacturer outfit. And, closely aligned with unions (although there is nothing necessarily wrong with that).
  • Reply 5 of 26
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

• Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Apple has long advocated for making a better world. Tim is just expanding its scope.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    There is a current 'This American Life' Podcast about a guy who goes to the factories where his beloved Apple products are being made, and talking to the 13 year old girl who polishes the iPhone screens before they're boxed.

Worth a listen. I'm really glad Apple is doing this - but I think they could a lot more to influence the suppliers (as could Dell, Samsung, Sony, Nokia, HP and all the others).
  • Reply 9 of 26
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    oh AI, you're so good at filtering the news

http://gizmodo.com/5875882/nearly-tw...r-hours-limits
  • Reply 10 of 26
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Recent events like workers who put together xbox's going on strike/rioting? Funny how apple do the right thing, something that no other tech company has done, and people like you still stick the boot in.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Nonsense. Apple could have easily looked the other way and pretended companies like Foxconn doesn't mistreat its workers. Instead, the FLA will now independently audit all facilities in Apple's supply chain. That's a good thing.

Also, companies on American soil are regulated, too. Ever hear of OSHA?!?

The purpose of joining the FLA is to improve the workplace conduct code and to ensure fair labor practices. To me, this suggests Apple is trying to improve conditions, not run/distance itself from them as you suggest.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Horrible.

Yeah... So unfocused.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

You do understand Jobs initiated the iPad Red for Aids research, right? Jobs also had Apple donate a significant amount of money to help decent the anti-gay marriage act in California.

Corporations are treated as people under the Constitution. As such, they should engage in charitable causes, as should the rest of us.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

I don't agree that Apple should build its own factories in the US. Apple doesn't want to be in manufacturing. I, however, think it would be nice for Apple (and other technology companies ) to encourage its suppliers to conduct manufacturing in the US.

It is hypocritical for the US government to rightfully condemn human right conditions in places like China, but than whole heartedly embrace shipping all our manufacturing to these countries thereby enriching and encouraging those countries practices. American workers shouldn't be forced to compete with countries that engage in practice we condemn.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Quote:

I agree. If they cared about labor policies they wouldn't be overseas to begin with.

I love my Apple products, but just like every other American company sending jobs overseas, they care about money above all else, including the welfare of humans, the planet, or any Patriotism to America.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:

That sounds quite focused to me. What's vague is the assumption implicit in your remark: that making the best possible products is a goal separate from or superior to that of making the best possible world.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Really dude? 200+ audits in the past year and this is just a PR stunt to distance themselves from recent events? I guess Apple can predict the future and they did all those audits just for the recent events. (read: sarcasm)
  • Reply 18 of 26
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    What Auret van Heerden is really saying is we are glad Apple is now paying us huge sums to support my retirement plans and we don't have to harass the company any more to join us.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

That sounds quite focused to me. What's vague is the assumption implicit in your remark: that making the best possible products is a goal separate from or superior to that of making the best possible world.

In my opinion, total focus on one thing means only doing cause and effect such that the effect will definitely contribute to that thing. This kind of focus is the reason many geniuses wear the same clothes all the time, or are useless at things other people think should be easy. Steve had such product focus and that is what got Apple to where it is, and I worry that Tim does not have that.

For example the free education Apple instituted at supplier factories under Steve makes product better, because the hands making the products are controlled by the minds in those heads, and education makes those minds perform better. But joining an organisation is just a political stunt. It took time to join, and will take time to stay joined, time that could be used directly instituting any improvements on Apple's own recognisance.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Exactly. Thank you. And stuff the cynics.

The world could use a few more all around visionaries and I for one don't see any solid reason why capitalism can't coexist with a leftist outlook. Good on him, I say.