Anybody else get a Android Tablet for Christmas?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am of course a proud owner of a ipad2 but my wife bought me a Asus Slider for Christmas. It has been sitting on my desk for the last few weeks completely untouched until yesterday. I had asked for a small notebook or netbook just for surfing and email writing while I take the train to work. I originally asked for a Chromebook (hey I like them) but she was convinced by the salesman this was the machine for me. I kissed her and thanked her and decided just to take it to work and leave it in my desk. Well that is until yesterday when I started to play with it, I actually love it. The Asus Slider if you don't know is a tablet hybrid meaning it has a buit in keyboard that slides out of the bottom. This little guy meets all of my demands of a small portable surfing emailing machine with spades. Not to mention the added bonus of being able to watch all of my Divx films with full HW support, meaning 1080p. I rip all of my Bluerays into Divx. I still think it's best codec for ease of use and quality but my iPad could never play them which pissed me off. More then the flash thing did actually. Anyway, Android as well is much better in a tablet then on a phone. I can't stand Android on a phone, to much to do for simple tasks. I'm actually starting enjoy using the Android tablet more then my iPad. I forgot how much I missed a filesystem where I have full control over it's data and system files. The apps to are pretty decent, I found every app that I use for the iPad available for Android. Yes the iPad is more polished and I really miss Safari when using the Asus but I did find Opera to be a pretty close second. So if any of you are frowning down on the whole Android tablet landscape I would like to ask why because so far the good out ways the bad with this thing. Oh and if you do decide to buy a Android tablet, get the Asus Slider or Asus Transformer Prime. Hands down the best products out there for that OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Oh here is the link for more info on my new toy -> www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Slider_SL101/
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm actually starting enjoy using the Android tablet more then my iPad. I forgot how much I missed a filesystem where I have full control over it's data and system files.

I feel the same way about the control aspect. Android is a messier OS but it feels closer to using a desktop/laptop OS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux866rSDNEg

There are solutions for running hard drives with an iPad e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2W92Kh8la4

which gives high quality video streaming, it's nowhere near as easy as plugging in a Flash drive or HDD and it has to have its own battery.

The interface on that drive shows that the filesystem manager doesn't have to be all that ugly either. I'd personally just like Apple to put an SD card slot on the iPad. It does open up the risk of hanging the iPad though, which almost no other process does because it's a hardware-level interaction but they just need to come up with a solution to this on both the desktop and software side whether that's running the drivers in a protected layer so there's no risk of a kernel panic like how a VM would work. VMWare for example can blue-screen on attempting to use a USB device but OS X keeps running. In the same way, they can run a cut-down iOS kernel in a VM and connect the low-level devices and if it messes up, just restart the VM. On a successful interaction, it just passes the connection through to the main OS.

Asus is priced around the same as the iPad but they are offering very good quality products and have their own unique designs. The iPad 2 GPU is around 3-4x the speed of the EeePad though, which isn't necessarily a huge problem but it has its advantages.

I would probably take an Asus Transformer or Slider over a Galaxy Tab as an alternative to an iPad. I don't like the Tab's 16:9 aspect ratio. 16:10 is a better choice. I actually thought Apple should have used 16:10 for the iPad but 4:3 makes it feel much more comfortable in portrait mode and once you decide on the longest side of the device, any extra space is a bonus.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

I am of course a proud owner of a ipad2 but my wife bought me a Asus Slider for Christmas...

I'd return it if I were you... it appears the "Return" key is broken.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I don't quite understand your post, if your pointing out my use of grammer was incorrect then I'm sorry if I offended your language. English is only one of the five languages that I speak and I only use it for sites such as these. I'll try to be more carefull in the future.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I actually thought Apple should have used 16:10 for the iPad but 4:3 makes it feel much more comfortable in portrait mode and once you decide on the longest side of the device, any extra space is a bonus.

I'm still a big fan of 4:3 aspec to my favorite laptop of all time was the alu G4 12 inch with 1024 x 768. Man I loved that notebook.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Quote:

I don't quite understand your post, if your pointing out my use of grammer was incorrect then I'm sorry if I offended your language. English is only one of the five languages that I speak and I only use it for sites such as these. I'll try to be more carefull in the future.

Do the other languages you use not have the concept of paragraphs for written communication?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Do the other languages you use not have the concept of paragraphs for written communication?

Ah yes, I guess I did kind of run on there didn't I. Still if this is the only feedback that my post has gotten then I now remember why I haven't been back here in a while. Not very friendly. I really was curious if anyone had gotten a new Android tablet for Christmas and if their as happy as I am, being a Apple user.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Ah yes, I guess I did kind of run on there didn't I. Still if this is the only feedback that my post has gotten then I now remember why I haven't been back here in a while. Not very friendly. I really was curious if anyone had gotten a new Android tablet for Christmas and if their as happy as I am, being a Apple user.

The thing is that without paragraphs, your post is extremely difficult to read. If your post was more readable perhaps you'd get more responses to the points you were trying to make.