No intentional underage labor found in 229 audits of Apple's overseas suppliers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

This is where companies like Apple need to step up and make sure their supplier is treating their workers fairly. Should it be Apple's responsibility? I believe it should. They have a moral obligation to make sure the parts used in their products are only made of sweat, not blood, sweat, and tears.

Consumers also have the same responsibilities, but most would rather pass the blame onto the companies (or governments).

I agree that in principle, everyone has a responsibility, even if consumers are somewhat uneven in their activism. However, should consumers take a stand against buying goods from countries like China and Saudi Arabia that have a history of human rights abuses? So far, American consumers as a whole don't seem to care, as long as manufactured goods & oil prices are cheap.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Unintentional or not, you still hired an underage worker.

Unintentional or not, you still hired an illegal immigrant to work for your company.

That suggests that not enough backgrounds checks have been done which would follow under negligent hiring practices.

Good luck fighting that in court ( a place where Apple particularly loves to be in ).
  • Reply 23 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's a lot of weaksauce for your trollburger, Galbi. I'm sure you can do better than that.
  • Reply 24 of 32

Pay no attention to the 9 other labor and human rights violations. We work with people that do not "intentionally" hire child labor. We are good, i mean god , i mean good...
  • Reply 25 of 32
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Not surprising at all. Apple's products are always top notch, and everyone knows children have no sense of quality.

Report was quoted

"These efforts have been very successful and, as a result, cases of underage labor were down sharply from last year."

So they had kids making apple products last year
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Some of you are ridiculous. I'm surprised you're claiming that 229 audits is a weird number and that hundreds of other unmentioned audits found all the labour was intentional toddler hires. Who else can polish the insides of the iPod Shuffle casings?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Some of you are ridiculous. I'm surprised you're claiming that 229 audits is a weird number and that hundreds of other unmentioned audits found all the labour was intentional toddler hires. Who else can polish the insides of the iPod Shuffle casings?

why would you polish the inside casings?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Because the Germans won't do it?

*rimshot*

*crickets*
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

As TS eludes to it's a reference to Schindler's List. Schindler, at least in the film, stated it as a way to save many children.
    Quote:

What are you doing? These are mine. These are my workers. They should be on my train. They're skilled munitions workers. They're essential. Essential girls. Their fingers polish the insides of shell metal casings. How else am I to polish the inside of a 45 millimeter shell casing? You tell me. You tell me!

• Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As TS eludes to it's a reference to Schindler's List. Schindler, at least in the film, stated it as a way to save many children.

Intentional vs unintentional

necessary vs unnecessary
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Intentional vs unintentional

necessary vs unnecessary

cowboys vs aliens vs predator vs shark week????
  • Reply 32 of 32
    The dust explosions at Apple supplier, foxconn has an interesting connection to the University of Michigan. In the 1990's Chinese scientists came to UM to study with an expert in industrial explosions like those that happened at Foxconn but when they returned to China these scientists went to work on weapons for the Chinese military rather than on improving safety. This has been a problem with these "dual use" technologies that our universities give freely to China, they often go to building up their military instead of to improving the lives of their citizens. Read more at www.china-threat.com