With an un-jail broken iPhone, is the only way to load apps on it thru Apple?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm contemplating retiring my blackberry (that is 5 year old technology) and getting an iPhone. I was looking at the different apps and noticed (via some year or so old internet articles) that Apple has pulled several wifi finders from their store.

So my question is, if I get an iPhone and I don't unlock it, is the only way to install apps on it thru the App store from Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

...if I get an iPhone and I don't unlock it, is the only way to install apps on it thru the App store from Apple?

A: Yes.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:

Apple has pulled several wifi finders from their store.

Because you don't need them. The OS does that itself?

Quote:

So my question is, if I get an iPhone and I don't unlock it, is the only way to install apps on it thru the App store from Apple?

Unlocking has nothing to do with apps or the software at all.

If you don't jailbreak, you can't install apps from anywhere but the App Store.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

A: Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you don't need them. The OS does that itself?

Thanks both of you.

As to the OS doing the wifi checking itself, I like some of the other ones I saw (that are now banned) when I was searching for what kind of apps I could get for an iPhone should I get one.

One more question for anybody who has the answer.

Suppose I have an iPhone and I buy an app from the App store and then Apple decides they are going to drop this app for whatever reason. Would Apple then delete the app from my phone and refund me my money or would I be able to keep that app?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    You get to keep the application typically. There won't be any updates to the application, thus it may not be able to run on any new iOS updates that are put on the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

...Unlocking has nothing to do with apps or the software at all.

True ... I assumed he meant "jailbreak".
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

True ... I assumed he meant "jailbreak".

Yes, I meant jailbreak.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubs23 View Post

You get to keep the application typically. There won't be any updates to the application, thus it may not be able to run on any new iOS updates that are put on the phone.

Well that's good but I'm not sure I want an iPhone now. I don't know why Apple thinks we should only load apps on an iPhoe that it approves of. Its OUR hardware after all...
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Well that's good but I'm not sure I want an iPhone now. I don't know why Apple thinks we should only load apps on an iPhoe that it approves of. Its OUR hardware after all...

Uh? really? We can give you dozens of arguments as to why this is the better system for everyone involved (the creator, the user, the developers?) or you can just take a look at Android and see how the malware, phishing, and scams that spawn from the ability to install any unsigned package from any source is not the right way to go.

Remember "there's an app for that"? There is. No matter what you want to do.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

So... buy something else. Buy what works for YOU the way YOU want it to. Why would you care that I like something different?... Why would you think anyone else cares what you use?

I've used iPhones and Android phones... I couldn't fault the Android phone, but the iPhone just worked better for me (mostly in terms of easy integration with my existing Apple hardware.) ... If I were a Windows user at home, I'd probably lean toward an Android phone too!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

So... buy something else. Buy what works for YOU the way YOU want it to. Why would you care that I like something different?... Why would you think anyone else cares what you use?

I've used iPhones and Android phones... I couldn't fault the Android phone, but the iPhone just worked better for me (mostly in terms of easy integration with my existing Apple hardware.) ... If I were a Windows user at home, I'd probably lean toward an Android phone too!

Dude, I've been a mac user for over 15 years and on top of this, many of my friends and co-workers have at times over the years said I should work for Apple because I have tried to talk many of them into buy macs. Trust me, I'm as big an Apple fanatic here as anybody else.

That said, I played with the iPhone again today for about an hour and then I played with a Galaxy S II. One thing I noticed about the Galaxy ( android) that I never saw before is that when you go to the NYTimes, it automatically formatted the front page in a readable scrollable format with easy to read text which I though was great. The iPhone shows you pretty much the entire page in text so small that it's impossible to read unless you pinch and scroll which I hate. Another thing I never noticed on the android is that when I clicked a NYTimes link to an article, it automatically formatted the page in an easy to read scrollable format vs having to hit the reader button on the iPhone. This second 'feature' is no big deal for me since both do the same thing, one with an extra tap of the screen over the other. But I wish the iPhone formatted the front page of the NYTimes in an easy to read scrollable format. I never noticed this before on an Android phone when I played with them.

On the flip side, The spyware virus threat is a big issue for me with the android. I also don't care much for the way android looks, it has a kind of 'cheesy' look to it.

Anyway, I'm going to send Apple a request at their feedback site to make it so the iPhone formats (as an option if we want it to) the front page of newspapers so that it's in an easy to read scrollable format so we can use one hand to scroll and click the articles we want to read.

I'm still leaning towards an iPhone...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Anyway, I'm going to send Apple a request at their feedback site to make it so the iPhone formats (as an option if we want it to) the front page of newspapers so that it's in an easy to read scrollable format so we can use one hand to scroll and click the articles we want to read.

So you'd rather have the terrible mobile web than the real web? You can tap twice on an article and it brings it into an easily-read format.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

So you'd rather have the terrible mobile web than the real web?

I'd like to be able to read the text of the NYTImes when I go to the front page without pinching and scrolling the screen. I hate pinching and scrolling with fingers while I'm holding the phone with my other hand. I like the way I can use one hand on my blackberry to do most things.

Seems to me that it could be done (formatting the NYTimes front page in an easy to read format) without going into the mobile web. And if it couldn't, then I would at least like the option of switching a software switch so I could read it in mobile mode.

Seeing the full screen in text that is so tiny you can't read it seems pointless to me.

Quote:

You can tap twice on an article and it brings it into an easily-read format.

Haven't seen this. The way somebody showed me to get it into an easy to read format was to hit the reader button that shows up in the top in the address bar. I wonder if this is the same thing?

Is there any way to set the default font size bigger so that when you click to a link like the NYTimes, it shows it in bigger font?

Regarding the GPS on the iPhone, if I went camping and brought an iPhone as a GPS where there was no cell signal and loaded a third party GPS app on it with maps of the area I was in, would the iPhone's GPS still work?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Uh? really? We can give you dozens of arguments as to why this is the better system for everyone involved (the creator, the user, the developers?) or you can just take a look at Android and see how the malware, phishing, and scams that spawn from the ability to install any unsigned package from any source is not the right way to go.

Remember "there's an app for that"? There is. No matter what you want to do.

Well, I broke down and got my first iPhone 4S. The touch screen is driving me crazy but so did the tiny keys on my blackberry when I first got it.

It's be nice if they gave you instructions on things like initially charging your battery for the 1st time and where it shows if its fully charged...

This will take me some getting used to.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Well, I broke down and got my first iPhone 4S. The touch screen is driving me crazy but so did the tiny keys on my blackberry when I first got it.

You'll get used to it. By Day Five 2007 after launch, I had a pretty good feel for the thing. You just have to trust the auto-correct.

Quote:

It's be nice if they gave you instructions on things like initially charging your battery for the 1st time?

Every electronic device on the planet ships with a partial charge.

Quote:

?and where it shows if its fully charged...

The exact same place as every other phone.

Quote:

This will take me some getting used to.

But you won't regret it once you do.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

You'll get used to it. By Day Five 2007 after launch, I had a pretty good feel for the thing. You just have to trust the auto-correct.

Well, so far you are right, I am getting used to the touch screen.

Quote:

Every electronic device on the planet ships with a partial charge.

Yes I know, I was wondering if I was supposed to plug it in for a full charge while not unplugging it during the 1st charge.

Quote:

The exact same place as every other phone.

I saw that but it didn't say what percent it was charged. I found how to display it...

Quote:

But you won't regret it once you do.

Not sure I'm sold on it yet (although I'm more sold now than I was a few days ago).

What I really like about this phone are the following:

1) The internet is way faster than it was on my blackberry curve 8330 (I'm on Sprint, been on it for both phones). I had to check a few times to make sure the wifi was turned off.

2) Because the internet is faster, everything loads and downloads fast.

3) The external speakers give pretty damn good sound. I'm impressed with the quality and level of volume for such a small package.

4) The display of course.

5) The App store is great and easy to use (although when I've searched for an item that is more than 25 results long and then download an app, when I go back to the store, it brings me back up to the top where I have to keep adding 25 more results to get where I was).

6) The mail app works great.

7) The phone and speaker phone so far sound better than my blackberry (which could be due to the BB being about 5 years old in technology).

8) It connects and syncs much faster to my MBP's iTunes than my iPod does.

What I don't like so far:

1) The battery life seems kind of short.

2) The touch screen (although I am much better at navigating and using it.)

3) I can't search for text in safari when reading news articles and, not all news articles bring up the 'reader' button.

4) Some mobile news sites still show text that is too small to read.

Overall impression so far: I like it a lot more than I dislike it.

edit: Just found out how to find text in a news article when in Safari. Although it requires a few more steps than on my old phone to do, it works way better than it did on my old phone.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

1) The battery life seems kind of short.

Indeed. It's partially iOS 5 and partially the processor/telephony chip combo. I assume that future iOS releases will make this much better.

Quote:

3) I can't search for text in safari when reading news articles

Use the search button and choose to search within the page instead of Google.

Quote:

and, not all news articles bring up the 'reader' button.

That's a failing of the sites in question, not Safari. Those same sites won't bring up a Reader option on the desktop version of Safari.

Quote:

edit: Just found out how to find text in a news article when in Safari. Although it requires a few more steps than on my old phone to do, it works way better than it did on my old phone.

Oh, good. And yeah, it's a tad convoluted. I wish Apple would incorporate searching into the URL bar in Safari (both desktop and iOS) and have the search area be only for searching on the page (and remove it entirely from the desktop version, as Command+F is far more convenient).
  • Reply 17 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    sc_market. Long-time poster, good to see you buddy.

My guess is you might be happy with an Android, too. They have a lot of slider QWERTY keyboard Droids. I needed a physical keyboard. I have a Droid 2 and an iPad 2 with iOS 5 also. (from work). I'd say just visit a Verizon (or your carrier?) store and try both. Unless you are already set on the iPhone 4?

If you are still not settled, here are my random thoughts on Android...

One huge thing I love is using my voice to have it recognize directions I gave to Google Navigation (turn-by-turn navigation is free from Google, and costs $70 for good software on an iPhone. That alone was huge to me.) There are also apps like Siri, although I assume Siri has the best AI. Perhaps Google will research AI to add to recognition but I have to say, Google's voice recognition is ALWAYS accurate for me. It's amazing. Although I guess iOS 5 on the iPhone 4S has voice recognition now.

And yes, on Android you can load any apps. it's a checkbox to allow 3rd party app installs. For example, Amazon has an App Store. With GOOD Free apps every day (one app per day). And, I have not rooted (the term for jailbreaking on Android) and I downloaded a tethering app that gives me tethering for free. Saves me $30/month. It's actually great, I share it via BlueTooth to my iPad. My Droid and iPad are friends. I've also downloaded emulators for Nintendo and ROMs.

The thing with iPhone is you'd have to jailbreak to do any of the above. And then every few weeks when APple updates you'd have to spend a while re-jailbreaking. I have yet to find something I want to do on Android that requires rooting. Eventually I might root just to overclock my phone or try a custom ROM..but for now it's fast enough at everything I throw at it. Ah yes, multitasking. I use that a lot. And widgets. I made my contacts Widgets so I just press the buttons for my family members on my home screen. One button to dial a phone call. My phone to me is first a phone, and a PDA second.

Now iPads on the other hand...there are some awesome apps for iPad that are not out for Android. I feel like I have the sweet spot. MacBook Pro, iPad, and Android. With Windows in VMWare. It's all in sync, all platforms are working great together. I use Google's Calendar and GMail through iCal and Mail. They just work! So don't worry, it's possible to have your Android be friends with your Mac.

Also there are apps to sync iTunes songs to Androids. In fact they are better players than the iOS "Music" App. The iOS music app is nearly useless to me. I have lots of songs. It doesn't sort by rating or even show rating. It can't sort by all the stuff iTunes can.

Overall I also felt the dialer and interface on Android were easier to use. I don't know if that's Motorola's custom UI or for all Androids. I know that's surprising. It surprised me too!

That's my two cents. I am not trying to attack iPhone. As a Mac fan I was just surprised myself at how much more I liked Android and it seems you might have similar same user requirements and preferences as me. Specifically I'm interested in how you, a fellow keyboard phone user, get used to the touchscreen. I've almost never used the onscreen keyboard. When I do, I trip up and make mistakes. Perhaps I just need to use it more?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

That's a failing of the sites in question, not Safari. Those same sites won't bring up a Reader option on the desktop version of Safari.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

I forgot, I do have one other minor complaint. I don't like the sms text app, it seems sort of aimed at kids with the lame bubbles. I may have to see if there are any 3rd party sms apps that look more professional (or less bubbly).

I bought an anti-glare LCD cover from an Apple store and it looks great on the iPhone. I ordered a rubber case for it and checked and this will fit in my blackberry holster that I used for my BB. I'll be all set once I get the rubber case and can wear my BB belt clip to carry my phone around in.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

sc_market. Long-time poster, good to see you buddy.

My guess is you might be happy with an Android, too.

I'm a fan of any smartphone that works halfway decent. The Android OS is fine (and I still like the BB) but the thing that bugs me about Android is that it's a ripoff of the iPhone. Reminds me of that Redmond company...

Quote:

They have a lot of slider QWERTY keyboard Droids. I needed a physical keyboard. I have a Droid 2 and an iPad 2 with iOS 5 also. (from work). I'd say just visit a Verizon (or your carrier?) store and try both. Unless you are already set on the iPhone 4?

Thanks for the info. The only slider phone I ever saw that I liked was the BB one (on ATT) where the touch screen slid up and you had your traditional BB keyboard under it. I don't like those sideways keyboards because then you have to turn the phone sideways to use it. I like being able to use my phone with two hands as little as possible. And so far, I can do a lot with the iPhone (and I'm sure Android phones as well) with one hand.

Quote:

If you are still not settled, here are my random thoughts on Android...

One huge thing I love is using my voice to have it recognize directions I gave to Google Navigation (turn-by-turn navigation is free from Google, and costs $70 for good software on an iPhone. That alone was huge to me.)

I agree. The android version of google earth (or maps) is way better on android than the version they have for IOS or blackberry. I really like it.

I did read that Apple bought some mapping company and it's expected they are going to have their own version of a navigation app that will compete with the android version.

Quote:

And yes, on Android you can load any apps.

A plus for Android. But I'm not really concerned about spyware or a virus on the closed IOS.

Quote:

it's a checkbox to allow 3rd party app installs. For example, Amazon has an App Store. With GOOD Free apps every day (one app per day).

You can only load one free app per day?

Quote:

And, I have not rooted (the term for jailbreaking on Android) and I downloaded a tethering app that gives me tethering for free. Saves me $30/month. It's actually great, I share it via BlueTooth to my iPad. My Droid and iPad are friends. I've also downloaded emulators for Nintendo and ROMs.

It would be nice if I could use my iPhone's data for my internet so I could save my 33/month cox bill.

Quote:

The thing with iPhone is you'd have to jailbreak to do any of the above. And then every few weeks when APple updates you'd have to spend a while re-jailbreaking. I have yet to find something I want to do on Android that requires rooting. Eventually I might root just to overclock my phone or try a custom ROM..but for now it's fast enough at everything I throw at it. Ah yes, multitasking. I use that a lot. And widgets. I made my contacts Widgets so I just press the buttons for my family members on my home screen. One button to dial a phone call. My phone to me is first a phone, and a PDA second.

Now iPads on the other hand...there are some awesome apps for iPad that are not out for Android. I feel like I have the sweet spot. MacBook Pro, iPad, and Android. With Windows in VMWare. It's all in sync, all platforms are working great together. I use Google's Calendar and GMail through iCal and Mail. They just work! So don't worry, it's possible to have your Android be friends with your Mac.

Also there are apps to sync iTunes songs to Androids. In fact they are better players than the iOS "Music" App. The iOS music app is nearly useless to me. I have lots of songs. It doesn't sort by rating or even show rating. It can't sort by all the stuff iTunes can.

Overall I also felt the dialer and interface on Android were easier to use. I don't know if that's Motorola's custom UI or for all Androids. I know that's surprising. It surprised me too!

That's my two cents. I am not trying to attack iPhone. As a Mac fan I was just surprised myself at how much more I liked Android and it seems you might have similar same user requirements and preferences as me. Specifically I'm interested in how you, a fellow keyboard phone user, get used to the touchscreen. I've almost never used the onscreen keyboard. When I do, I trip up and make mistakes. Perhaps I just need to use it more?

Thanks for your two cents. I think both platforms are great (although Android is great mostly because they copied a great idea). But I'm probably going to keep the iPhone as it's growing on me the more I use it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I think I saw a while ago there was an app you could download for iOS to do tethering. But I also think it was removed. In fact I think I've seen this several times. You just have to be quick on the draw, I guess, and snag them before they're removed from the Apple Store. Of course you can tether if you jailbreak. I just read in fact yesterday that iPhone 4s and iPad 2 are now jailbroken. (I thought they were already, but I think they were not, in actuality until now). Just fyi.

And yes, I'm looking forward to Apple's mapping / GIS in the future as well. Mapping apps should be easy to use and intuitive, while still powerful. I wish ArcGIS was intuitive.

However, if you like mapping and have not used ArcGIS yet, try it out. It's in the App Store: ArcGIS. It's the mobile version of the powerful ArcGIS Desktop software which is the Windows of mapping software, the AutoCAD of drafting software, etc. I imagine this app will increase in power over time. It's already pretty cool, in that it has additional base maps which no other app has, and it has sophisticated measuring tools. If you have the ability to use an ArcGIS server you can use it for data collection, as well. Unfortunately, data collection requires an ArcGIS Server, so if you don't have this it's not possible. I was quite disappointed with this, believe me. And I verified this personally with an ESRI rep.