12% of iPad owners in the enterprise no longer use their laptop

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

More than one in ten iPad owning business professionals have indicated that Apple's touchscreen tablet has become their portable device of choice, completely replacing their laptop.

The role of the iPad in the enterprise was explored in a new study revealed this week by IDG Connect. The "iPad for Business Survey 2012" features interviews with IT and business professionals from around the world.

The survey found that 12 percent of workers indicated that the iPad has "completely replaced" their traditional laptop. Another 54 percent said the iPad has "partly" replaced their laptop, and instead complements it on the go.

"If a majority of professionals still use laptops, the iPad has certainly curtailed usage levels," the report reads. "Nearly three-quarters of respondents say that they 'carry their laptop around less' now that they own an iPad."

The iPad has had less of an effect on desktop PCs, where just 6 percent of respondents said the iPad has "completely" replaced their desktop, while 33 percent said the iPad has "partly" replaced their desktop.

"For most, the iPad isn't a substitute for an existing tool or device," IDG said. "Instead, it's a supplement, albeit one with functionality that overlaps with other devices. As a result, the iPad seems to have carved out a niche for itself at the partial expense of several rival form factors."

The iPad has earned a major presence in the enterprise thanks mostly to consumers who buy Apple's tablet with their own money. Three-quarters of respondents told IDG that they bought their iPad privately, while one-quarter said they were supplied with an iPad by their employer.

The most common use of the iPad among professionals is Web browsing, which 79 percent said they "always" use the device for. Reading followed closely with 76 percent, news consumption had 73 percent, and work communication earned 54 percent.

In all, 91 percent of professionals who own an iPad said they use the device at work -- 51 percent "always" use their iPad at work, while 40 percent said it is used there "sometimes." And the iPad has quickly become IT professionals' go-to device for computing on the go, as 79 percent said they "always" use their iPads outside of their home.

IDG's findings are just the latest survey to find that the iPad is the tablet of choice among enterprise users. One survey revealed last October found that the iPad represented 96 percent of total tablet activations in the workplace.

In their last quarterly earnings report in October, Apple officials revealed that 90 percent of the Fortune 500 were deploying or testing the iPad, even though the device had only been available on the market for 18 months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    And we're less than two years into this shift in computing. I carry and use my iPad at least four times more than I used to carry and use my laptop.

Total transformation, in my experience. And I never watch movies, by the way. It's not "content consumption" -- the person who came up with that meme should have his brain washed out with Clorox.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    I would be interested to see a breakdown on how they were using the iPad for work-related purposes. Web browsing and news article reading stats does not tell me much.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    By the end of 2012, iPad marketshare will be less than 2% and everyone will be using real tablets like the ones put out by Samsung.

I would be very surprised if that isn't the case.

There's not a single reason to think that I need a sarcasm tag or to mention slapppy by this point.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I would think mapping would be a big % of business usage: that giant touchscreen makes just an awesome map device, with or without GPS. Presentations too.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

By the end of 2012, iPad marketshare will be less than 2% and everyone will be using real tablets like the ones put out by Samsung.

There's not a single reason to think that I need a sarcasm tag or to mention slapppy by this point.

And 'rooting' will become the #1 pastime.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Quote:

iPads are just toys...
  • Reply 7 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

iPads are just toys...

It's a giant iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another 54 percent said the iPad has "partly" replaced their laptop, and instead complements it on the go.

Carrying both a MBP and an iPad along with two chargers, is a little bulky. I just did a month long overseas trip with that set up. The iPad 3G was convenient though since I just dropped a local sim card in it and was online right away.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's a giant iPhone.

It's a small Microsoft Surface computer.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conwaycf View Post

It's a small Microsoft Surface computer.

Ah, right! And since the Surface came out first, Apple stole the idea from them.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:

Ah, right! And since the Surface came out first, Apple stole the idea from them.

Apple totally ripped off that idea from Microsoft, along with all of the legions of other Microsoft Surface wannabes.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

And 'rooting' will become the #1 pastime.

It's kind of funny how people buy Android tablets that suck so much out of the box, that the users have to go and fiddle around, overwriting the OS that comes with it and install other versions on their own.

Those people think that they're being smart and geeky, but they're actually being quite foolish, as what they're doing is a waste of time, since their newly rooted version that they spent time on will still suck and offer poor performance compared to iOS.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    I work in a maintenance department and use my personal iPad often. Have loads of building plans with locations of vital services, sub boards and stop valves that are hidden above ceilings. Also used it on equipment that we no longer have plans for and needed wiring diagrams to repair, google search and done. Saved me loads of time. Management are now thinking of using them now to issue jobs also. Fantastic tool.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More than one in ten iPad owning business professionals have indicated that Apple's touchscreen tablet has become their portable device of choice, completely replacing their laptop. ...

This is exactly the trend I expected when the iPad was first announced, and the percentage for whom it will replace a laptop will continue to grow as people become more used to using iPads and iPads become more powerful over time.

The fact is that laptops have always been a compromise device, low on power, efficiency and ease of portability. And, most people simply don't need a laptop for their mobile computing needs. A powerful desktop with a large screen to maximize productivity combined with an ultra-portable iPad is the best of all worlds.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Some people still don't get it. They think that a tablet should have a full desktop OS and I even see some fools asking about hooking up a mouse to a tablet sometimes.

These people would have laughed at the electric lightbulb when it first came out. They'd be standing there holding wax candles in their hands, with wax dripping down on their hands, while they're mocking the electric lightbulb. It's no different when people dismiss the iPad. Every passing day proves them more and more wrong and sooner or later, the same people who dismiss the iPad will eventually be using one.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

iPads are just toys...

So, what u r saying is 12% of iPad owners in the enterprise use only toys, right?
  • Reply 17 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tangomoo View Post

So, what u r saying is 12% of iPad owners in the enterprise use only toys, right?

We're making light of the arguments the trolls and general anti-Apple characters use against the iPad's enormous success.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    an iPad designed for work would have 8GB of RAM and a full size, tactile action keyboard. I'm not sure how you could do my computing loads or even type supervisory emails without a keyboard. Not to say it wouldn't sell... it clearly would sell, probably even without a screen. Macbook Air continues to be the most exciting Apple product for me. And, it's flawed. Screen rez is not good enough and RAM is too light. The future will include actual computing, including WinXP type applications and terminal windows, for at least 20 more years. Minimum.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Tallest Skil, You're paid by Microsoft to troll these boards, aren't you?
  • Reply 20 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golden Gala View Post

Tallest Skil, You're paid by Microsoft to troll these boards, aren't you?

IBM, actually. They're still sore from Apple dropping them.