4G iPhone expected to help LTE smartphones reach 5% share in 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Smartphones compatible with new high-speed 4G long-term evolution networks are projected to account for between 4 and 5 percent of global handset shipments in 2012, thanks in part to an expected LTE-capable iPhone from Apple.

Industry sources in Taiwan told DigiTimes that LTE smartphones could represent as much as 5 percent of global shipments this year, reaching between 25 million and 30 million units. It noted that while LTE devices are currently a small portion of cell phone sales, that is expected to change in the second half of the year, when Apple is rumored to join the fray.

"While Android (is) still dominating the LTE smartphone segment, Nokia and HTC have launched LTE Windows Phone models, and Apple and RIM are expected to release comparable models running on their own platforms in the second half of 2012, indicated the sources," the report said.

The report comes soon after Bloomberg said last Friday that Apple has begun production of an LTE-capable third-generation iPad model. That device is expected to launch in March.

But the iPhone will have to wait for an upgrade until the second half of 2012. Last year, Apple waited longer than usual to introduce a new smartphone, launching the iPhone 4S in October. A sixth-generation iPhone is expected to be launched about the same time in 2012.

Investment bank Morgan Stanley said last week that Apple's next iPhone may include a quad-mode chip from Qualcomm that would allow it to "run on all 3G and LTE network flavors. However, analyst Katy Huberty cautioned it was "too early to know for sure" if 4G LTE will in fact make it to Apple's sixth-generation iPhone.

Some were hopeful last year that the iPhone 4S would become Apple's first 4G LTE product. But in April, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said poor battery life and other issues with current LTE technology were not up to standard.

"The first generation of LTE chipsets force a lot of design compromises with the handset," Cook said last April, "and some of those we are just not willing to make."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    The real figure will depend on 4G deployment ....
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Can't wait for the even higher prices for LTE which we can't even tether for free to save money on home/travel internet access. 3g is frankly fine for how I use it, sick of paying more and more for cell service "false promises"

What's your bet, $10 more per month like the last time Apple moved the nation to the faster cell network (3g)?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Meanwhile back at the legion of DOOOOM!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But the iPhone will have to wait for an upgrade until the second half of 2012. Last year, Apple waited longer than usual to introduce a new smartphone, launching the iPhone 4S in October. A sixth-generation iPhone is expected to be launched about the same time in 2012.

But I thought... sorry, wrong thread.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A sixth-generation iphone…

THANK YOU SO MUCH. caps.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Can't wait for the even higher prices for LTE which we can't even tether for free to save money on home/travel internet access. 3g is frankly fine for how I use it, sick of paying more and more for cell service "false promises"

What's your bet, $10 more per month like the last time Apple moved the nation to the faster cell network (3g)?

Networks did free upgrades to unlimited LTE if you had unlimited data already
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Last edited by Tallest Skil; Today at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Stupid caps block.

Some call it cockslap

• Reply 8 of 25
    LTE is important because 3G is not good enough for video, tv, and movies online.

I am sure existing iPhone owners (including me) are willing to wait as long as apple wants them to

But patience of those who are on a fence is running out and that's bad for apple.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

LTE is important because 3G is not good enough for video, tv, and movies online.

I am sure existing iPhone owners (including me) are willing to wait as long as apple wants them to

But patience of those who are on a fence is running out and that's bad for apple.

That is not true, at least it depends on the 3G signal. My dad has been in the hospital all week for kidney surgery and although they offer free WiFi at the hospital, I was having some issues with it and turned it off. I watched several episodes of The Borgia's on Netflix over 3G and the quality was excellent. I had 4 bars with Sprint. Granted if your signal is weak or the network is overcrowded then 3G can give choppy video, but I just wanted to point out it can be done.

LTE will be a Godsend for people with unlimited data or at least very big data caps of at least 4GB or more, but for those with smaller caps it might be a curse. They tempt you with fast data and then dare you to use it.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Apple will almost certainly implement 4G LTE in iPhone generation 6. There are an overwhelming number of reasons to do so.

3D Maps (Placebase, Poly9 and C3 Technologies) should come to fruition soon)

FaceTime

4G LTE is being rapidly deployed in many regions

IPv6 is slowly, finally becoming the default standard for new devices (after more than a decade)

Packet switching is far preferable to circuit switching for many reasons

Competition is becoming fierce and Apple doesn't have 4G phones for Verizon or Sprint (and CDMA is awful)
  • Reply 11 of 25
    The site I want to read doesn?t churn out the same news and rumours that thousands of other sites have, the site I want to read doesn?t post fanatical rumours from idiotic sources. To make matters worse this churn effect often comes with a form of chinese whispers, led mainly by eccentric, traffic seeking ***h*** bloggers who are unable to distinguish fact and fiction, unable to pick up the phone to a public relations team to check a detail or more unbelievably spend the time to produce something thoughtful.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

The site I want to read doesn?t churn out the same news and rumours that thousands of other sites have, the site I want to read doesn?t post fanatical rumours from idiotic sources. To make matters worse this churn effect often comes with a form of chinese whispers, led mainly by eccentric, traffic seeking ***h*** bloggers who are unable to distinguish fact and fiction, unable to pick up the phone to a public relations team to check a detail or more unbelievably spend the time to produce something thoughtful.

Well, I think you would have to be pretty idiotic not to deduce that the next version of the iPhone will include LTE. As far as what percentage of phones or market penetration is certainly all up for speculation. If the LTE chipset was not such a battery hog or so large when the 4S was being developed then Apple might have even included it then. Those problems have largely been solved and certainly by the time of the 6th iPhone version sometime in the Summer or Fall it will almost certainly include LTE.

I will agree with you though that many of the stories on here are rehashed and rarely original scoops. In fact you can just skim macsurfer.com and get all the same stories earlier than on this site. I suppose the attraction to coming here for me is not in learning anything new, but rather to read the comments and proffer an opinion occasionally.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Although it's really great for both Apple and the consumers to have a 4G LTE iPhone, this prediction does not look to realistic when we read how many markets that LTE is already deployed in. As of 12-15-11, Verizon Wireless has LTE in 120 markets {http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/14/verizon-to-launch-11-new-4g-lte-markets-on-december-15th/}; AT&T, as of 1-5-12, has 26 markets with LTE activated {http://9to5google.com/2012/01/05/att-expands-4g-lte-network-to-eleven-new-markets-including-new-york-los-angeles-and-san-fran/} and {http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/05/att-activates-4g-lte-in-11-new-markets-including-new-york-and-san-francisco/}; Sprint has announced 4 markets ready by the middle of this year {http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/05/sprint-ceo-announces-first-lte-markets-should-be-ready-to-go-by-mid-2012/} and {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel#4G_LTE}; and the very next potential partner T-Mobile, while most of their consumers are hoping for a partnership with the Dish Network for a 4G LTE deployment, is carefully planning their deployment with what they currently have {http://www.tmonews.com/2011/12/editorial-why-t-mobile-should-and-will-deploy-lte-the-technical-edition/}. As we can see, although 3 out of the 4 are already carrying the iPhone, every major U.S. mobile network is trying to catch up to Verizon Wireless number of markets. With or without this game of catch-up, I don't see Apple releasing an 4G LTE iPhone due to the U.S. not having enough LTE markets by the time they release the next iPhone despite everyone's {both Apple and their consumers} desire. Even with us having the technology of the Qualcomm MDM 9600 for LTE devices {6600 for 3G (6610 being used in iPhone 4S} {http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10469951-92.html}, we still need a faster deployment rate from all of the Big 4 U.S. mobile phone carriers. The only one that I see who is coming through right now is Verizon Wireless.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Fortunately, that's completely meaningless because iPhones are limited to 2GB a month. You couldn't do any of that even if you wished.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

Block of unreadable nonsense

I see you didn't pay attention when I told you how to do a link.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fortunately, that's completely meaningless because iPhones are limited to 2GB a month. You couldn't do any of that even if you wished.

I see you didn't pay attention when I told you how to do a link.

It's been a while since I posted; so do forgive Great One. Please tell me how to do so again through e-mail or a reply, so I can repost the FACTS.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

It's been a while since I posted; so do forgive Great One. Please tell me how to do so again through e-mail or a reply, so I can repost the FACTS.

[URL="The actual URL"]Here's how to do a proper link.[URL]

Just put a slash in front of the second URL. There's even a button for it to do that automatically when you post.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Although it's really great for both Apple and the consumers to have a 4G LTE iPhone, this prediction does not look to realistic when we read how many markets that LTE is already deployed in. As of 12-15-11, Verizon Wireless has LTE in 120 markets [http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/14/verizo...cember-15th/]; AT&T, as of 1-5-12, has 26 markets with LTE activated [ http://9to5google.com/2012/01/05/att...and-san-fran/][/http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/05/att-activates-4g-lte-in-11-new-markets-including-new-york-and-san-francisco/]; Sprint has announced 4 markets ready by the middle of this year [http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01...-by-mid-2012/][/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel#4G_LTE]; and the very next potential partner T-Mobile, while most of their consumers are hoping for a partnership with the Dish Network for a 4G LTE deployment, is carefully planning their deployment with what they currently have. [http://www.tmonews.com/2011/12/edito...ical-edition/] As we can see, although 3 out of the 4 are already carrying the iPhone, every major U.S. mobile network is trying to catch up to Verizon Wireless number of markets. With or without this game of catch-up, I don't see Apple releasing an 4G LTE iPhone due to the U.S. not having enough LTE markets by the time they release the next iPhone despite everyone's {both Apple and their consumers} desire. Even with us having the technology of the Qualcomm MDM 9600 for LTE devices {6600 for 3G (6610 being used in iPhone 4S)} [http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10469951-92.html], we still need a faster deployment rate from all of the Big 4 U.S. mobile phone carriers. The only one that I see who is coming through right now is Verizon Wireless.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

404's all over the place, but thanks for that cnet link.

I don't think LTE is going to be a major selling point. Looking at it world wide, the limit amount of countries, the limited amount of carriers supporting it and the limited amount of coverage it's not going to make a ding in the universe. Let them roll it out when LTE is ready, not simply because they have access to a chip that meets their standards. For battery life and all other things they don't want to compromise.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Another unreadable block.

Although it's really great for both Apple and the consumers to have a 4G LTE iPhone, this prediction does not look to realistic when we read how many markets that LTE is already deployed in. As of 12-15-11, Verizon Wireless has LTE in 120 markets AT&T, as of 1-5-12, has 26 markets with LTE activated; Sprint has announced 4 markets ready by the middle of this year; and the very next potential partner T-Mobile, while most of their consumers are hoping for a partnership with the Dish Network for a 4G LTE deployment, is carefully planning their deployment with what they currently have. As we can see, although 3 out of the 4 are already carrying the iPhone, every major U.S. mobile network is trying to catch up to Verizon Wireless number of markets. With or without this game of catch-up, I don't see Apple releasing an 4G LTE iPhone due to the U.S. not having enough LTE markets by the time they release the next iPhone despite everyone's {both Apple and their consumers} desire. Even with us having the technology of the Qualcomm MDM 9600 for LTE devices {6600 for 3G (6610 being used in iPhone 4S)}, we still need a faster deployment rate from all of the Big 4 U.S. mobile phone carriers. The only one that I see who is coming through right now is Verizon Wireless.

Fixed.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

404's all over the place, but thanks for that cnet link.

I don't think LTE is going to be a major selling point. Looking at it world wide, the limit amount of countries, the limited amount of carriers supporting it and the limited amount of coverage it's not going to make a ding in the universe. Let them roll it out when LTE is ready, not simply because they have access to a chip that meets their standards. For battery life and all other things they don't want to compromise.

To avoid the 404's, you'll have to reload the webpages without the close bracket "]" at the end of the URLs.