Rumor: Apple to hold 'iPad 3' & iOS 5.1 event in early February

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new rumor suggests Apple is planning to hold an earlier-than-expected special event in early February to introduce its third-generation iPad running iOS 5.1.

Japanese website Macotakara reported on Tuesday that the unveiling of a so-called "iPad 3" along with iOS 5.1 will occur in February, citing both an Asian supplier and a source in the U.S. Despite a rumored early February introduction, the report claims that the new iPad would still launch in early March, much like the iPad 2 in 2011.

Last year, the iPad 2 was introduced in a media event held on March 2, and the device went on sale just 9 days later on March 11. But Tuesday's rumor would suggest that Apple could have a longer wait time in between the unveiling of a third-generation iPad and its sale date.

That delay would be at least in part because Chinese factories will be shut down to celebrate that country's New Year. This year's festival is earlier than usual, and runs from Jan. 23 through 28.

Recent reports have suggested that Foxconn and Pegatron will begin shipping the first "iPad 3" units in early March. Rumors leading up to the anticipated iPad unveiling have generally pointed toward a March launch of the device, but a monthlong wait time between the unveiling and sale of a new iPad would be a change from Apple's approach in 2011.

Rumors have generally agreed that the next iPad will support a new high-resolution, Apple-branded "Retina Display" akin to the screens currently found on the iPhone and iPod touch. There have also been claims that Apple will continue to sell the current-generation iPad 2 at a reduced price.

Macotakara has a mixed track record with Apple rumors in the past, accurately reporting that Apple would introduce its second-gen iPad in March and push out the release of the fifth-generation iPhone until much later in the year, but also incorrectly claiming that Apple would release new MacBook Airs with high-speed 400MBps flash memory and that a fifth-generation iPhone would feature an aluminum back.

An anticipated iPad 3 event is not to be confused with a confirmed education-related event that Apple is set to hold on Thursday in New York City. That media briefing is expected to relate to digital publishing and e-books, and will not showcase any new hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Well, if it were correct, this rumor might be a confirmation that iPad 3 will have a retina display and Apple wants to give developers time to update apps.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Quote:

Not if it's the iPad 2S. Chances are, they will sell the iPad 2 for a price competitive to the Amazon Fire.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:

Well, if they keep the iPad 2 at a lower price akin to what they do with the iPhone, maybe that lower price will kick in just after the event. Would make sense to give developers time to create the high resolution images for the retina. So the experience will be amazing from day one.

Mac

Edit : Maybe something new not heard of yet that implies giving time to developers to adapt to.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd believe it.

"And the price drop on iPad 2 to $399 happens today."
  • Reply 6 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Not if they drop the price.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Whey would they need an event for iOS 5.1?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

Not if it's the iPad 2S. Chances are, they will sell the iPad 2 for a price competitive to the Amazon Fire.

Why would Apple drop the price to be competitive with a tablet with less than half the display area, and with much less HW and OS/SW features?
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd believe it.

"And the price drop on iPad 2 to $399 happens today."

Right, now THIS is a legitimate reason to announce it a month early.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    If this one is true, and the textbook publishing app happens tomorrow, then Tim Cook will have more to say about Apple's momentum at his next public event. And so the revolution begins.

Irresistible textbooks, that's what it will be about.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I don't think Apple will release a new iPad before WWDC. This year is the best time for Apple to shift their iPad release cycle from March to July. Beside, everyone else gave up on tablet so there is no hurry.

I expect the next iPad and iPod touch to be released together shortly after WWDC with an announcement at WWDC. iPhone to stick to Oct schedule.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think Apple will release a new iPad before WWDC. This year is the best time for Apple to shift their iPad release cycle from March to July. Beside, everyone else gave up on tablet so there is no hurry.

I expect the next iPad and iPod touch to be released together shortly after WWDC with an announcement at WWDC. iPhone to stick to Oct schedule.

No way! Putting the iPad (and now the iPod Touch) out just a season before the iPhone caused a strain which is why having them about 6 months apart from each other is best. Ill bet you a $25 iTunes Store gift card.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    i hope the rumors are true and the ipad 3 with a sharper display is a no brainer I mean if they don't put the retina display on the ipad 3 might as well stick to the ipad 2.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No way! Putting the iPad (and now the iPod Touch) out just a season before the iPhone caused a strain which is why having them about 6 months apart from each other is best. Ill bet you a $25 iTunes Store gift card.

You're on dude

This is how analysts (Kramer) get their info by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0umYspP3_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUjb2HRxEY
  • Reply 14 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

Fuck the Kindle Fire.

Apple will never drop the price of the iPad 2 close to $199.

It might drop to $399, and that would still be twice the price of the Kindle Fire. Cheap people still aren't going to buy an iPad 2 for $399, and Apple shouldn't take into consideration these cheap people when pricing the iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

Your on dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUjb2HRxEY

Just a small nitpick. It's You're............
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just a small nitpick. It's You're............

This happens when you depend too much on autocorrections. I thought I typed (youre) and the autocorrect should have corrected it to (you're)

Thanks anyway
  • Reply 17 of 67
    As for the iPad 3, maybe it will be more expensive.

I mean, there's nothing else out there that would even be close to it, if it has that so-called retina display.

Maybe the iPad 3 will start at $599 or even $699, while the price of the iPad 2 drops slightly. Apple should concentrate on targeting customers who demand the best and are willing to pay for it.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:

This happens when you depend too much on autocorrections. I thought I typed (youre) and the autocorrect should have corrected it to (you're)

Thanks anyway

I hear you. I shut off the autocorrect when I'm typing on the iPad, as I find it kind of annoying.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

My low-tech wife has already heard the rumors of an iPad 3 and wants to upgrade her iPad 2 when the new one comes out! She never keeps up with this stuff! :-)
  • Reply 20 of 67
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why would Apple drop the price to be competitive with a tablet with less than half the display area, and with much less HW and OS/SW features?

Because people are buying it.