Daybreak On The Land - The Other Ones, Hartford, 11/22/02

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://mickeyhart.net/Pages/tootpd09.html"; target="_blank">Here?s</a> the entry from Mickey Hart?s Trip Diary. I did not share his enthusiasm for Robert Hunter?s set (which came during the intermission). It would have been fine if it was cut in half. The <a href="http://www.ctnow.com/entertainment/music/hc-otheronesrev.artnov23.story"; target="_blank">reviewer</a> from the Hartford Courant agrees with me. Other than that, it was a terrific show. It felt kind of odd hearing Jimmy Herring in Jerry?s place but he?s also been playing with Phil & Friends so it wasn?t too weird.

I?m such a moron, though. I LOST our tickets. As it turned out, it really wasn?t too big of a deal - just a lot of psychic energy burned. I went down to the box office thursday but they told me I had to call Ticketron instead. (I bought the tix online through them.) Ticketron just told me to show up at the box office an hour before the show with the credit card I used, an ID and the order number and I?d get new tickets. No problem really - except I had one extra ticket and not actually having it in my hand made it harder to sell. I gave it up for $15. I paid $50. Oh well.

Sure were a lot of happy hippies in Hartford last night. The Dead scene for me is like a cross cultural experience - sort of like visiting a foreign country where you don?t have to learn another language.* The exotic music! And you should see some of the clothes they wear! You should visit sometime. I picked up a very nice purple tie die t-shirt.

Afterwards, we trekked on down to <a href="http://www.blackeyedsallys.com/"; target="_blank">Sally?s</a> (it?s only a block from the Civic Center) and saw Lil' Dave Thompson & Big Love. Lil? Dave was on fire! It?s always good to wrap up the night with some kick ass blues...

* I've said the same thing about visiting the South.

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: spaceman_spiff ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    uhg... wish I got tix to see them at the garden... didn't know that Susan Tedeschi was playing with them.

Glad it was a good show though... I'm sure they'll be around again. And I've seen Phil Lesh and Friends and Bob Weir and Ratdog already so.... I can hold off till the next round
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>uhg... wish I got tix to see them at the garden... didn't know that Susan Tedeschi was playing with them.

Glad it was a good show though... I'm sure they'll be around again. And I've seen Phil Lesh and Friends and Bob Weir and Ratdog already so.... I can hold off till the next round</strong><hr></blockquote>

You saw Dylan and I didn't. Man I hated to miss that show. He was in Hartford last Sunday night. I saw the Other Ones and you didn't. The choices one has to make...

Susan Tedeschi really was great. They should showcase her a little more.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I just got back in from the show in Philly. That was fun. I'd never been to a dead concert before (I'm a little young), so this was quite the experience. We had pretty good seats. Behind stage left, kind of on the corner, but only about 6 rows back. The FU Spectrum is smaller than the Civic Center in CT, but it was a sold out show. I've got some pics, I'll probably get 'em up in the next couple of days and post a link. Got a nice T-shirt in the parking lot for $10. Anyway, I'll post again when I have pictures up, but I'll just say, overall, I think the show was pretty good, the second half was better than the first, and Hunter's set wasn't too bad, though I wish the band had played Scarlet Begonias and not just him.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:

<strong>

You saw Dylan and I didn't. Man I hated to miss that show. He was in Hartford last Sunday night. I saw the Other Ones and you didn't. The choices one has to make...

Susan Tedeschi really was great. They should showcase her a little more.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's true

Bob Dylan was expensive enough... gotta conserve cash..lol

eh... I kind of want to see Brian Setzer this december though\
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Setlist 11.22.02 (from OtherOnes.net)

SET 1:

Feel Like a Stranger*

Dire Wolf*

Only the Strange Remain*

Black-Throated Wind

Eyes of the World*

New Speedway Boogie*

Mason's Children

SET 2:

Unbroken Chain

Big Boss Man*

Casey Jones

Help on the Way

Slipknot!

Drums

Space

Knockin on Heaven's Door*

Jam

Hard to Handle*

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower*

Encore: Truckin*

*with Susan Tedeschi
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ok, pictures are up. <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/speaktruth/PhotoAlbum8.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/speaktruth/PhotoAlbum8.html</A>;

Also, for anyone who goes in the future, if you're watching all that psychadelic stuff they project up on the screens, you may catch the occaisional glimpse of some iTunes visualizations, and I also noticed at one point, the picture of Jupiter from the "Cosmos" screen saver.