iOS 5.1 beta 3 hints Apple is planning deep Facebook integration

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I see we are still stuck with the horrible Address book interface.

Horrible? Seriously? What doesn't it do that you need it to do?
  • Reply 22 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've tried that several times after I initially joined and tried to leave but it seems near impossible to achieve. One accidental click and it comes back just as you left it ... no deletion possible. It's like a twilight zone episode! Also now I see distant mad and insane relatives I have leaving unbelievably dumb comments on Facebook pages of people I know well saying things like they just burned the toast and I know I'm responsible for the connection.. aaaggghhh.

Could someone please write an app that goes back through all the connections and connections of connections you started and delete them all as if you never joined ... ? George Bailey in reverse?

If you delete your account and then not interact with it in any way for 14 days it will permanently delete. PS: It's funny that Google suggestions brings up 'delete facebook' as the first item after just writing 'dele'.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you delete your account and then not interact with it in any way for 14 days it will permanently delete.

Really .. that's new, I went six months and it came right back after a click.

I still want that George Bailey app though

OMG you are right about Google ... that is naughty! LMAO
  • Reply 24 of 78
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Glad to see Apple REALLY working hard to improve iOS 5.1 with meaningful crap like "deeper FaceBook integration".

BFD.

facebook is the new address book
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Horrible? Seriously? What doesn't it do that you need it to do?

It is seriously a pain to use, it's overly simplistic, however I now use Bento to control it. You can set them to mutually update in real time and of course Bento is on iOS too.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out?

2015, maybe?

I don't use Twitter, I don't have Google+, I do have a Facebook account, but rarely log on (about once a month).

However, even I see the trend is social networking use is accelerating, not decreasing. And it's not going to stop any time in the near future. Why? Because people just looove sharing the mundane details of their lives. I came to this realization when standing in line one day last spring; the person beside me was checking their Facebook on their phone. The status updates on her wall could've been the same updates as what was on my page. Or yours. It doesn't matter.

It's also why Facebook is more popular than Google+. Who (among these people who love posting statuses several times daily) wants to limit the so-called "audience" of who they're reaching?
  • Reply 27 of 78
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out?

2015, maybe?

Not I.

It will evolve, maybe even change quite a bit. But, fade out? No chance.

Mind you - I do wonder about an economy that puts so much value on companies with products that suck up people's time in not necessarily productive ways.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well, "Tweet" context menu item here and there already irritates me. Why should I see it if I never gonna use it? Now "Facebook"?

I agree; it's bad enough that Words With Friends asks me if I want to log into Facebook every frickin' time I open the app... No NO NO!

But yeah, as long as it's not intrusive and it's just there for people who *do* want it, fine. Goddess knows the Facebook app itself is a pile of rubble, so simpler posting to FB for those who want to do it will be a good thing.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

If you delete your account and then not interact with it in any way for 14 days it will permanently delete. PS: It's funny that Google suggestions brings up 'delete facebook' as the first item after just writing 'dele'.

Permanently deleted or permanently disabled and hidden? I bet it's the latter.

Yes, it's quite hilarious that a search for "dele" leads first to delete FB. Google might as well make that a fixture on their home page.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not I.

It will evolve, maybe even change quite a bit. But, fade out? No chance.

Hopefully the evolving will be for the better. Currently the underlying motive for the likes of FaceBook and Google to offer them is for their own ends not the needs of the users. Therein IMHO lies the reason for the annoying traits they exhibit.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've tried that several times after I initially joined and tried to leave but it seems near impossible to achieve. One accidental click and it comes back just as you left it ... no deletion possible. It's like a twilight zone episode! Also now I see distant mad and insane relatives I have leaving unbelievably dumb comments on Facebook pages of people I know well saying things like they just burned the toast and I know I'm responsible for the connection.. aaaggghhh.

Sounds like you (and your friends) just need to go in and change your security settings. You control who writes on your wall (ditto your friends) and what you see in your newsfeed, not your distant mad and insane relatives. I've got it set so no one can write on mine, and I've unsubscribed to status updates from a few Tea-nutty relatives myself; it's easy to do.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:

I wonder what the AP after J1 and J2 could stand for.

Social networking will become more ingrained over time, not less.

By ingrained it will become less pronounced and therefore less of a novelty, like email. However, it's height of fame will dissipate over time.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    What does an image of Address Book from Mac OS X Lion have to do with iOS 5.1? The Address Book has also had the ability to record MSN/Windows Live user IDs for ages, but didn't correspond with support for it in iChat.

I must be missing something. I'm going to re-read the article

Update: LOL, I re-read the article... I just realized that it's an iPad screen. The large screen fooled me. Wow, iOS & Mac OS are really merging!
  • Reply 34 of 78
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I wonder if the advent of Google+ finally got Facebook to allow Apple access to their API? What better way to fight off competitors growth then to have it built into the most popular mobile operating system.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I don't use Twitter, I don't have Google+, I do have a Facebook account, but rarely log on (about once a month).

However, even I see the trend is social networking use is accelerating, not decreasing. And it's not going to stop any time in the near future. Why? Because people just looove sharing the mundane details of their lives. I came to this realization when standing in line one day last spring; the person beside me was checking their Facebook on their phone. The status updates on her wall could've been the same updates as what was on my page. Or yours. It doesn't matter.

It's also why Facebook is more popular than Google+. Who (among these people who love posting statuses several times daily) wants to limit the so-called "audience" of who they're reaching?

You probably have summed it up. A relative of mine with an IQ hovering around 75 updates every 30 minutes. 'Going to make a sandwich.' 'Ate sandwich, it was good'. 'Going to wash car ... ' and I'm sure somewhere in that magnificent brain, believes someone gives a shit. It is fulfilling some deep down craving to connect that must exist at the primeval level of a lot of homo sapiens that are failing to gain the required level of endorphins secreted when engaged in other ways of connecting they are missing out on.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

What does an image of Address Book from Mac OS X Lion have to do with iOS 5.1? The Address Book has also had the ability to record MSN/Windows Live user IDs for ages, but didn't correspond with support for it in iChat.

I must be missing something. I'm going to re-read the article

In the upper left corner of the image you can read the word iPad, correct?

Update I see you found it.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

That's what the buggy and whip makers said about the horseless carriage......

They had social networking back then too?
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:

2015, maybe?

Quote:

Glad to see Apple REALLY working hard to improve iOS 5.1 with meaningful crap like "deeper FaceBook integration".

BFD.

Quote:

I wonder what the AP after J1 and J2 could stand for.

Social networking will become more ingrained over time, not less.

I agree with Sol...

I believe we are starting to see a new way of exploiting web content -- without the need to actually visit a web site -- or even worse perform a web search to display a list of web sites with incumbent ads.

Siri's does this with her ability to actually do things for you -- rather than display a list of choices from which to select.

Search and Display options is so 1990s Alta Vista!
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Sounds like you (and your friends) just need to go in and change your security settings. You control who writes on your wall (ditto your friends) and what you see in your newsfeed, not your distant mad and insane relatives. I've got it set so no one can write on mine, and I've unsubscribed to status updates from a few Tea-nutty relatives myself; it's easy to do.

Oh I did that for sure, but the insidious monster uses info it gleans from you to suggest to others they may like to friend this person or that person, the connection was originally you. If these new bonds are forged directly they remain even if you leave and so your ex is now friended to your new wife's sister ...
  • Reply 40 of 78
    This integration with Facebook is cool and all but I really think it's Facebook who should first make their official iOS app stable, fast and logical to use. Nowadays I only use it because I have yet to find a better one - the bar certainly isn't set high. With that said, I wouldn't use Facebook at all if most of my friends weren't there. The updates the service has gotten over the years haven't certainly been received with standing ovations...

It's entirely different story with Twitter, their official app is great (or at least used to be until version 4, IMHO) and if that doesn't cut it for you there are dozens of 3rd-party apps you can choose from. And Twitter also seems a bit more committed to listening to their users instead of doing just what they think is right.