Rumor: Apple to hold 'iPad 3' & iOS 5.1 event in early February

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

At a hypothetical $399 per 16GB iPad sold, I seriously doubt Apple would be losing any money. Or did I misunderstand you?

Not at $399, but that's not competitive with the Fire.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not at $399, but that's not competitive with the Fire.

Agreed, and I really don't see Apple dropping the price any lower than that. To do so would acknowledge that the Fire represents enough of a threat that it has to be answered (which I presently don't see being the case).
  • Reply 43 of 67
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Day 1 purchase for me and the sooner it is released the better.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Insert one of those Futurama "Take my money!" pictures here.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Day 1 purchase for me and the sooner it is released the better.

Me too! I bought a 1st gen iPad for my wife, skipped the iPad 2 and now eagerly await the iPad 3 (or whatever it'll be called).
  • Reply 46 of 67
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

iPhone shown in Jan released in Jun.

iPhone SDK shown /released in Mar Apps allowed in Jun.

iPad shown in Jan released in Apr.

That's coz the iPhone and iPad were new products which required FCC approval which takes months. SJ didn't want some bored pencil pusher leaking the details so SJ announced them well ahead of release. However they didn't repeat that the following years. Last year the iPad was announced 1 week before it was available to buy in the US. The iPhone was pretty much the same. The reason: as soon as you announce a new version sales of the previous version drop off considerably. However when you're launching a new product you don't have to worry about that do you.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Zero chance an iPad get an SD Card reader. The 11" MBAs don't have it- why would an iPad? No incentive, nor does iOS even allow you to access it.

With the CCK you can save photo's to your iPad, I do that all the time. I would love an iPad with a build in SDXC slot. Or an Apple branded WiFi card, similar to an EyeFi card, but one that works and isn't limited to a mandatory setup through a PC/Mac.

LOL snap LOL, already exists. http://www.eye.fi/products/iphone
  • Reply 48 of 67
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And those people aren't really iPad customers.

Exactly my point. If they aren't iPad customers, they're Amazon customers. And thankfully, unlike you, Apple has learned what happens when you let a competitor introduce their ecosystem to a whole new category of customers. Apple has decided that it needs to address that part of the market before they become integrated into the Kindle ecosystem like Verizon users got integrated into Android.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

The smart marketing move here (IMO) is to announce the iPad3, with an availability date 30-days in the future, but immediately announce a substantial price reduction for the iPad2.

I'd like to also see a trade-up program for original iPad and iPad2 owners.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeresaX View Post

The smart marketing move here (IMO) is to announce the iPad3, with an availability date 30-days in the future, but immediately announce a substantial price reduction for the iPad2.

Yeah, I'd be accepting of an early drop to $399 for the iPad 2.

Quote:

I'd like to also see a trade-up program for original iPad and iPad2 owners.

Apple doesn't sell cars.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    As long as Apple has customers who think competitively priced (meaning less than Apple,like the Fire) products are "cheap" from a quality perspective, they'll keep on milking the cows. This reminds me of the processor geeks who thought 50 MHz was awesome and worth paying a fortune for. Five years from now, today's iPad will be similarly anachronistic.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

As long as Apple has customers who think competitively priced (meaning less than Apple,like the Fire) products are "cheap" from a quality perspective, they'll keep on milking the cows.

And as long as Android has customers who think their products aren't cheap from a quality perspective, they'll keep on oiling the droids.

Quote:

Five years from now, today's iPad will be similarly anachronistic.

But no, the Kindle Fire will be timeless, obviously.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not if they drop the price.

And besides, just because we read the tech forums for such things, the rest of the world still doesn't, and 75% of iPad users I'll wager fall into the latter group. Whatever the figure is one can bet that many more people planning on getting an iPad this winter are blissfully unaffected by any of these kinds of announcements than are, especially ones as vague as this one.

We're talking people who don't even glance at the tech pages of their local newspapers and wouldn't notice if it were printed as fact tomorrow in a big headline.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

As long as Apple has customers who think competitively priced (meaning less than Apple,like the Fire) products are "cheap" from a quality perspective, they'll keep on milking the cows. This reminds me of the processor geeks who thought 50 MHz was awesome and worth paying a fortune for. Five years from now, today's iPad will be similarly anachronistic.

If you're saying the Fire is a fantastic quality, wonderful performer I'd say you've never used one. Maybe same as you've never used an iPad for a week?

Anyway, if the iPad is "anachronistic" in five years I can only imagine what adjective we'll be able to use for the Fire by then . In it's wildest dreams it wishes it could rate "anachronistic" as the worst thing it will appear as.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

And besides, just because we read the tech forums for such things, the rest of the world still doesn't, and 75% of iPad users I'll wager fall into the latter group. Whatever the figure is one can bet that many more people planning on getting an iPad this winter are blissfully unaffected by any of these kinds of announcements than are, especially ones as vague as this one.

We're talking people who don't even glance at the tech pages of their local newspapers and wouldn't notice if it were printed as fact tomorrow in a big headline.

Add to that all of the people who don't care. I'm sure most of the forum members have at least one story about someone who bought an iPhone or iPad one or two weeks before the release of a new version even though they were told of its impending release.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    It's a difficult situation for Apple. If they drop iPad2's price too much, that'd damage the 'premium brand' status, but if they only drop iPad2's price to $399, it won't differential with iPad3 enough for people to buy iPad2. Now, some would say, just raise iPad3's price to $599. That's suicidal, because, competitors are releasing 1900x1200 android tablets at much lower price soon, with 32GB storage mind you, so iPad3 definitely has to be kept at $499 for 16GB version.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Super excited about the 5.1 event! Apple is holding an iOS event to announce that everything we promised in 5.0 actually now works in 5.1 and doesn't brick your i-device. ie "No Service" message, no audio, battery problem, Safari cache problem. I have lived with an unreliable iPhone 4S for 3+ months.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdgarcia View Post

Super excited about the 5.1 event! Apple is holding an iOS event to announce that everything we promised in 5.0 actually now works in 5.1 and doesn't brick your i-device. ie "No Service" message, no audio, battery problem, Safari cache problem. I have lived with an unreliable iPhone 4S for 3+ months.

And everything promised to me in 5.0 has worked since before day one, even in the betas. So there's that.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:

And everything promised to me in 5.0 has worked since before day one, even in the betas. So there's that.

So happy to hear that you haven't had any issues, but that doesn't mean others haven't.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That delay would be at least in part because Chinese factories will be shut down to celebrate that country's New Year. This year's festival is earlier than usual, and runs from Jan. 23 through 28.

wasn't there recently a rumor that Foxtronn wasn't letting folks have all the days for the holiday off so that production on their various lines for various companies wouldn't be shut down.

Quote:

but a monthlong wait time between the unveiling and sale of a new iPad would be a change from Apple's approach in 2011.

but not from the first launch, so now we can cue the rumors that the gap is due to Apple needing FCC approval on something and they are announcing earlier to keep with their standing distaste for someone else announcing their products (via the public info status of all FCC approval forms)

All that said, I think that all these rumors about the timing are bunk and we'll see the iPad 3 a little later than 'expected'. like Late April. The iPad 2 might stay on sale in a 16GB wifi only mode, perhaps only to schools and businesses. With luck that date will also see the launch of the Back to School promo with adjustments on the education pricing rules so that K-12 students also get the pricing and the inclusion of the iPad in the items that get a discount. That timing would go nicely with the promo and the shift of the iPhone to the fall.