Apple axes last remaining Mac purchase rebate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple's promotion that offered a $100 rebate to customers who purchased a Mac and qualifying printer has been discontinued with no alternative incentives announced.

In a change to its promotion information webpage on Tuesday, Apple announced that the long-standing printer rebate program has been cancelled, leaving the company without any rebates or incentives for new computer buyers.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has traditionally offered some sort of incentive when customers buy a new Mac, such as the $100 instant rebate when purchasing a computer and printer. While the programs were usually "limited time only" affairs, Apple's latest printer rebate was a perpetual offer that stipulated the company could end it at any time.

Apple has advertised a $100 printer rebate sporadically from 2001 alongside numerous other discounts and promotions for both hardware and software.

The company is also known for its educational rebates and discounts, including the annual back-to-school promotion which has offered free iPods to gift cards.

Current printer rebate promotion webpage | Source: Apple

Currently, Apple offers discounts for students and teachers through its Education Store or at Apple Store locations and campuses though the program is more of an institution rather than form of incentive.

Apple promotion webpage circa 2001 | Source: Archive.org

It is unclear whether Apple is slowly phasing out incentives as the company's online store usually has some type of discount.

Currently, the promotion page displays a lone advertisement of the just-cancelled printer rebate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has advertised a $100 printer rebate sporadically from 2001 alongside numerous other discounts and promotions for both hardware and software.

"Sporadically"? It has been a year-round thing for at least the last seven years.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I imagine they weren't selling many computers solely because of this promotion, so they canceled it as a cost move. Shame, as I have received a couple of printers over the years, including the one shown on Apple's promo page (even though I'm not a fan of ink jets preferring the lower cost of laser, I do like this particular one).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Time for printer manufacturers to offer $100 towards an Apple computer if you buy their product, given how the milk the cost of freaking ink!

(disclosure, I refill my ink cartridges myself - $25 ink pack = about $500 worth of manufacturer's cartridges)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    TBH rebates suck. Perhaps because we don't really do them in the UK so I'm not used to them but why make me jump through hoops like cutting part of my box off and writing it. Just give me the discount up front or I'll disregard the offer.

Took me months to work through getting an iPod touch out of Apple in 2007 when they finally admitted I had paid for it and the iMac and done all the proof of purchase (they knew I'd bought both - they had it on the online system).

I far prefer the offer up front such as in 2002 when they simply said pay £21 now and we'll double your RAM. Even on the 512MB Powerbook model I was buying it meant I've never had to upgrade (and using it here and now!).

Printers are cheap, we've all got one, and not very sexy.

They'd be better looking at hooking different customers to the other ecosystems. i.e. buy an iMac and get an AppleTV half price or some such.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

TBH rebates suck. Perhaps because we don't really do them in the UK so I'm not used to them but why make me jump through hoops like cutting part of my box off and writing it.

Because from aught six on, you didn't have to do that anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    It's basically a scam. I'd be surprised if that deal cost Apple a penny. The printer folks basically give printers away to get people hooked on their brand of overpriced ink.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

It's basically a scam. I'd be surprised if that deal cost Apple a penny. The printer folks basically give printers away to get people hooked on their brand of overpriced ink.

Exactly.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

TBH rebates suck. Perhaps because we don't really do them in the UK so I'm not used to them but why make me jump through hoops like cutting part of my box off and writing it. Just give me the discount up front or I'll disregard the offer.

My mom bought a MacBook Air at Christmas and they processed the rebate application in the Apple store before she left.

Indeed she already has it back. Kind of counter to how everyone else does rebates, hoping you'll forget and all that.

Oh wait, the camera store that sold her the PowerShot SX40 HS processed the rebate before we left the show too.

Hmm, maybe these vendors don't understand the purpose of rebates!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I imagine they weren't selling many computers solely because of this promotion, so they canceled it as a cost move.

more like they aren't selling that many printers. So why take up tons of space with them etc.

they can still bring it back for the summer school promo if they wish.

There's also a possibility that they had to cut it for legal reasons. I know there's a thing in Cali law about a promo running more than say 3 months and it is classified as a repricing and you have to give the price right away (not as a rebate where folks might forget to send in their stuff in the required 30 days etc). That was part of why Apple cut the promo only to restart it a day later. It was a way to cheat the rules but perhaps Cali got wise to that and changed the rules so they have to chill it for a bit
  • Reply 10 of 10
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I guess lucked out, cuz I got in on this deal when I bought my iMac on Black Friday two months ago. Got a $99 printer for free.

Didn't have to mail anything in, and in fact, I don't remember filling out any forms online either. A couple weeks after my purchase, I received a check from Apple for $100. Easy peasy.

Completely painless, compared to all the other rebates I've ever gotten before.