Apple could water-proof future devices with HzO technology

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I always think it's funny when an American company uses the "z" in a product name and it's clear that they intend it to be pronounced "ZEE" not realising that the majority of the world actually pronounces this letter as "ZED" making the proposed product name totally silly to say. It's like a classic American blind spot.

Edit: even more hilarious that they chose an announcer with an English accent to say "zee."

What's an "English" accent? I'm an American and I speak English not "American." Do you mean British accent?
  • Reply 62 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

What's an "English" accent? I'm an American and I speak English not "American." Do you mean British accent?

He means English: of or relating to England or its people or language.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Quote:

To my understanding, Britain would include England, Scotland, and Wales, while England is just England. Somebody from the UK please help as we Americans do not really understand the distinction.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I'm really thinking the iPhone 5 (aka iPhone 4G) is going to be a show stopper. It was the last thing Jobs worked on before he died. I'm thinking an oval capacitive touch home screen button. With simplistic gestures: swipe to go back, forward, double tap (not push) to zoom.

This will allow users to keep their thumb over the home button more often. Over the screen less often and probably allow for the justification of a larger screen, as more action will be on the home button and not on the screen.

Thoughts?

Fantastic theory, I'd love to see something that intuitive implemented in the new iPhone
  • Reply 65 of 81
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I always think it's funny when an American company uses the "z" in a product name and it's clear that they intend it to be pronounced "ZEE" not realising that the majority of the world actually pronounces this letter as "ZED" making the proposed product name totally silly to say. It's like a classic American blind spot.

Edit: even more hilarious that they chose an announcer with an English accent to say "zee."

Or even far more hilarious when it is not pronounced "zee" when it should be as in a product with a name like E Z Open.

(on way to hospital)...
  • Reply 66 of 81
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Little rubber gaskets require little channels to accommodate them, adding to the device's size.

A channel is less material, not more.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tk2x View Post

There is no quicker way to kill a deal that is in discussion, than to desperately leak it to the press. So assume that this WON'T happen.

Double when that deal is allegedly with Apple. They are loathe to have any partner speak before they have done so about anything.

That said, saying they are talking to Apple could merely mean that they called the corporate office to book a meeting. And as such it is stock play and possibly nothing more or less. They are going to or have made a pitch but who is to say that Apple said yes.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

A channel is less material, not more.

Not necessarily. Sometimes, in fact often, you need to thicken a wall in order to provide enough thickness to accommodate a gasket or to exert sufficient pressure on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Little rubber gaskets require little channels to accommodate them, adding to the device's size. This is a significant issue for a product where 1mm of extra thickness is immediately noticeable. Also, watches don't have headphone or charging ports.

It's not always necessary to use a channel to accommodate gaskets.

Regardless, gaskets are not part of the HzO technology, to the best of my knowledge.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diplication View Post

To my understanding, Britain would include England, Scotland, and Wales, while England is just England. Somebody from the UK please help as we Americans do not really understand the distinction.

You are correct. Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. While English is a common language, I don't think Americans can reasonably claim an English accent, since accents are essentially regional variations, and England, from which the adjective English is derived, is not in the USA.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

It's Zee, sing the song again, you'll see.

Which song? The ABC song? The one that goes:

A, B, C, D, ....... X, Y, Z,

X, Y, Z, Suger on the Bread. If you don't like it better go to bed...

That one?
  • Reply 71 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

There is no quicker way to kill a deal that is in discussion, than to desperately leak it to the press. So assume that this WON'T happen.

Any chance this company had has been blown.

Beyond that something tells me details about this process are missing.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    HzO sounds pretty neato to me. I love all this new technology and only wish I was 10 years old right now, with a big bank account.

Maybe they can invent an invisible nano coating that gives the iPhone a rubberized grip while they're at it. I hate having to buy cases just so you can hang on to the thing.

Lastly, if there isn't a market with Apple, I'm sure some enterprising nerd can turn this magic film into some sort of birth control.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by humanifestation1 View Post

Did you mean to say "aesthetics"? Because something like an iPhone wouldn't really fit into the lifestyle of an "ascetic".

Yeah that's what I meant ...
  • Reply 74 of 81
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

True, especially when it involves a secretive company like Apple.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It strikes me as a bad idea to say you're in discussions with Apple. I call BS, because Apple generally doesn't seem to want its suppliers talking about deals, even prospective deals.

For all we know they sent Apple a brochure and then called to get an appointment. It might be impossible to know for sure until the phone is released.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company says that WaterBlock is a non-toxic, organic material that is safe for people to use. It also doesn't change the aesthetics of a device or add any weight.

[/url][/c]

No indication of the actual process but it's unlikely to involve any new chemistry. I'm guessing a silicone water repellent ('Mr Sheen' for electronics) - some silicones give water-droplet contact angles as great as 160 deg. Brilliant if it works as advertised! If so, Apple and others are likely to adopt or endorse it since it would save megabucks on warrantee repair bills (yes, water damage is excluded but I know of several instances where Apple has footed the bill for such accidents).
  • Reply 77 of 81
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

No indication of the actual process but it's unlikely to involve any new chemistry. I'm guessing a silicone water repellent ('Mr Sheen' for electronics) - some silicones give water-droplet contact angles as great as 160 deg. Brilliant if it works as advertised! If so, Apple and others are likely to adopt or endorse it since it would save megabucks on warrantee repair bills (yes, water damage is excluded but I know of several instances where Apple has footed the bill for such accidents).

What warranty repair costs? Better reread your Apple warranty language that excludes water damage from coverage. When your iDevice goes kaput, the first thing they do at the Genius Bar is scope the audio jack and other connectors to see if the water exposure indicators have been triggered.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

What warranty repair costs? Better reread your Apple warranty language that excludes water damage from coverage. When your iDevice goes kaput, the first thing they do at the Genius Bar is scope the audio jack and other connectors to see if the water exposure indicators have been triggered.

It's impressive the number of times I've seen firsthand Apple replace a product that was accidentally damaged and not covered under AppleCare+.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Apple may in fact may be interested in the HzO. It is a Utah-based company showing its water resistance to a mobile device technology. Apple may be thought their future, including the possibility of the iPhone and other devices.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HzO, the maker of a "WaterBlock" technology shown off at last week's Consumer Electronics Show, has said it is in talks with Apple about using its material in future devices, including the iPhone.

HzO was promoting its nano-scale film barrier at CES last week, pitching it as a potential solution to waterproof expensive electronic equipment. One of their demonstrations included submerging an iPhone into water, and having it remain in proper working order.

HzO's technology is similar to the nano-coating process demonstrated at CES by P2i, branded "Aridion" and profiled yesterday. A video demonstration of Aridion-treated paper also appeared in this week's Weekend Tech Review. The technology is already in use by Motorola on both its Droid RAZR smartphone and XYBOARD tablet.

While speaking to attendees at the show, officials with HzO said that Apple is among the companies that have shown interest in the water repelling technology, according to Pocket-lint. Company officials said Apple was interested in making a future iPhone waterproof, potentially with a sixth-generation model expected to be released later this year.

"We expect HzO to be in next season's phones," the company reportedly said.

In addition to Apple, its rival Samsung is also said to have shown interest in HzO's technology. The company said it showed a Samsung executive a waterproofed Galaxy S smartphone, and that company officials were "really excited" by what they saw.

HzO's WaterBlock technology protects the insides of devices on a molecular scale. It has been used in demonstrations to protect a number of Apple products, including the iPhone 4S, iPads and iPods, after the material has been applied to the devices in a vacuum deposition process.

The company says that WaterBlock is a non-toxic, organic material that is safe for people to use. It also doesn't change the aesthetics of a device or add any weight.

The technology is intended for "accidental encounters" with moisture, meaning use in deep waters or being submerged for an extended period of time is not recommended. However, HzO coated devices have reportedly been immersed in water for "many continuous hours," and they continue to work fine.

"The technology is designed to protect against failure due to jumping in a pool and forgetting your phone was in your pocket, or dropping your iPod in the sink while doing dishes, or getting caught in a torrid rain storm and getting soaked, or leaving your smartphone in your pants when they go through the wash," the company said.

Having already lost an iPhone last spring to a heavy thunderstorm, with the phone in my pocket, I welcome the technology.