iPhone 4S launch propels surging Apple 20% to close the gap with Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

What do you mean by "lose"? If you mean that Apple will continue to grow to be 3X the size of Google and be able to buy MS, Dell, Google and Intel and you call that "lose", then yes, Apple will lose.

That'd be hilarious.

Apple buys Intel, restructures it and puts the PA Semi guys at the heads of every department to teach them a thing or two.

And it actually doesn't sound impossible. AMD exists to keep making chips for PCs, and there's always ARM-based stuff.

Granted, Apple buying Intel would mean that Apple wants to make their OWN type of chip, separate from ARM and x86 entirely, but anyway.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The problem here is that, in 6 months, the growth for iOS smartphone will slow again because of anticipation of iphone 5, while new Android phones will keep coming out every 3 months and maintain the lead.

IMO Apple still needs an additional model, and makes alternate launch cycles every half-year (Sep for traditional launch, Mar for variation launch). E.g. they could make a larger screen 4s model in March, and iPhone 5 in Sep.

Your argument would only make sense if the sales of the iPhone 4 saw a dip before the release of the iPhone 4S (which at the time was rumoured to be the 5), the sales didn't drop though, they increased.

Joe public (yeah, them wee fellas that buy 99% of the iPhones) doesn't give a toss about rumours or whats coming out and when, they just buy whats there when they go into the shop.

On another note, these marketshare studies hide the fact that the 'android' marketshare is so fragmented that app designers have no real idea how large their target market is and they have to put much more work into design and testing.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    It#s very impressive how Apples iPhones sales have gone up after they introduced the 4s. Having three diffrent iPhones with different price ranges seems to really have worked out well for them.

I hope they will do the same thing for the iPad at some point. A cheap iPad2 would be something very hard to resist getting.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:

What do you mean by "lose"? If you mean that Apple will continue to grow to be 3X the size of Google and be able to buy MS, Dell, Google and Intel and you call that "lose", then yes, Apple will lose.

Read what I said again if you dont understand.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Marketshare is the only thing in which Android leads. Apple has HALF of the profits of ALL cell phones sold.

Exactly!

Now how about comparing profits Apple makes from iOS devices vs. profits Google makes from Nexus devices?
  • Reply 46 of 68
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

.... No, I am not an Apple fanatic either. It simply seems that Android simply isn't as polished and easy to use as iOS.....

Just snipped this out of your comment because it drew my attention. You really don't have to be an Apple fanatic to NOT want Android or anything else, for that matter. There is a big difference in having a strong preference for something and being a fanatic. Just saying'...
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The problem here is that, in 6 months, the growth for iOS smartphone will slow again because of anticipation of iphone 5, while new Android phones will keep coming out every 3 months and maintain the lead.

IMO Apple still needs an additional model, and makes alternate launch cycles every half-year (Sep for traditional launch, Mar for variation launch). E.g. they could make a larger screen 4s model in March, and iPhone 5 in Sep.

Two issues with that approach-- the other manufacturers are starting to look at Apple's model for annual release cycles for flagship phones, and ...can Apple innovate on a 6-month cycle?

I'd guess the best Apple can do is have the flagship followed by the "S" 9 months later, next flagship in another 9 months. That would be good enough to satisfy my needs; I only upgrade every other model or so anyway.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Anti-monopoly laws would prevent such a dreadful thing from ever happening. I don't get the "I hope Apple takes over the world!" mentality. I like their products, but I am not fond of the idea of them being the only choice, or even growing to a size much larger than they already are. Hell they are raking in boatloads of cash and have yet to pay out a dividend. IMO, that makes them kind of a crappy company from a shareholder perspective. Wicked profit margins, unprecedented growth, no dividend, plenty of shackles on users. How is no one bothered by this?
  • Reply 49 of 68

This is a little off topic, but maybe some of the excellent minds and experiences, here, can 'splain this to me:

How does the reseller channel work for "Free" phones?

I was reading an article at All Things D that reports that the new Nokia Lumina 710 is being sold at CostCo for $0.01 and at WalMart for $0:

Nokia Lumia 710 Now Cheaper Than Cheap

That got me to thinking -- How does the reseller channel work for "Free" phones?

For simplicity sake, let's use Apple as they have a single "free" phone tied to a single carrier.

Let's assume Apple, the OEM, gets $200 for an iPhone 3GS

The carriers and resellers sell the 3GS for $0 with ATT contract

Let's assume Apple, the OEM, gets paid 30 days after shipment.

1) Apple ships 100 3GS iPhones to ATT

-- ATT assumes a $20,000 obligation to Apple

2) Apple ships 100 3GS iPhones to BestBuy

-- Does ATT or BestBuy assume a $20,000 obligation to Apple?

3) What happens if ATT cannot "sell" its "free" phones

-- ATT cannot reduce the price

-- ATT reduces contract terms?

or

-- ATT returns unsold phones to Apple, the OEM, with restocking charge?

4) What happens if BestBuy cannot "sell" its "free" phones

-- BestBuy cannot reduce the price

-- BestBuy negotiates with ATT to reduce contract terms?

or

-- BestBuy returns unsold phones to ATT with restocking charge?

or

-- BestBuy returns unsold phones to Apple, the OEM, with restocking charge?

It would be very interesting to know how these "free" devices are accounted and paid for.

Thoughts?

• Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rickybill View Post

Coming out of the world of BB and into the Apple ecosystem is as different as night and day. My family is able to communicate with each other easily, calendars match and with a handicapped son, Siri makes life easier for him. We have 4 4s phones and a 3gs, all of us have iPads and have never looked back at those decisions.

When I travel for business, I mainly see iPhones and very few BB's anymore. To me, it's not the phone, which is great, but it's the entire Apple experience. No other vendor offers as much, that is so easy to use, functional for everyday life or work and like Apple says, it just works!

Right now, they offer the very best value for me and my family. Great job Apple.

You didn't specify what type of handicap your son has -- Just that Siri helps him to communicate.

Are you aware of Proloquo2Go?

Proloquo2Go: AAC in Your Pocket

First, I have no association with this company other than have purchased their product.

Second, this is an example of how post-pc devices can open up a world that would, otherwise, be unavailable to a person with a disability -- the world of interaction and communication.

• Reply 51 of 68
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

True... but I was replying to Slaphappy... he said it!

Apple did have more market share than Android at one time, though...

Yes Apple did. Something someone from your previous post was clueless about.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Apple will also eventually lose in the tablet market but Apple will always retain the highest loyalty of any brand. Thats what you get when you control both hardware and software

Correct. Apple may have higher margins and more profit. The downside will be for their users. Less options, less 3rd party support for a smaller niche market. iOS is heading that route. As I've mentioned before, its the same scenario as the Macintosh.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Anti-monopoly laws would prevent such a dreadful thing from ever happening. I don't get the "I hope Apple takes over the world!" mentality. I like their products, but I am not fond of the idea of them being the only choice, or even growing to a size much larger than they already are. Hell they are raking in boatloads of cash and have yet to pay out a dividend. IMO, that makes them kind of a crappy company from a shareholder perspective. Wicked profit margins, unprecedented growth, no dividend, plenty of shackles on users. How is no one bothered by this?

People invest in stocks for different reasons -- growth and income are two.

I still have some AAPL I bought at $17 -- so dividend income is not an issue:

• Reply 54 of 68
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Yes Apple did. Something someone from your previous post was clueless about.

Given the iPhone came out before Android, only a fool would assume the iPhone has always had less market share than Android. iPhone market share has been production limited from day one and grows as Apple can bring on new production.

The tighter control Apple has over design is why iOS devices will always feel faster, smoother, be easier to use and more reliable than their Android counterparts. The device design stability will ensure market leading 3rd party support.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

Read what I said again if you dont understand.

And what do you mean by "lose?" I know people with DeLorean's that have very high brand loyalty.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:

And what do you mean by "lose?" I know people with DeLorean's that have very high brand loyalty.

I know people without a DeLorean (me) who have very high loyalty to the brand.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I know people without a DeLorean (me) who have very high loyalty to the brand.

Does that have anything to do with the hidden compartment behind the seat where you could stash things?
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:

Apple will also eventually lose in the tablet market but Apple will always retain the highest loyalty of any brand. Thats what you get when you control both hardware and software

The long term success of closed hardware platforms like Xbox & iPod disprove your assertions.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Many people here have mentioned defective Android OEM hardware and the need for it to be taken back to the shop. Every time an Android customer does that - it counts as another Android activation, right?

Maybe the HTCs and Motorollas of the world have a reason to release crappy hardware?
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Does that have anything to do with the hidden compartment behind the seat where you could stash things?

No, not at all. I thought that was just considered regular storage area! Or is there a flap you can pull back to reveal more space back there?