'Cultish' secrecy, 'iBuddy' system & paid lunches all part of Apple's HQ

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    You're reaching pretty deep if one of your main criticisms of a corporate culture is that they don't give you free meals!

Oh, the horror!
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Who cares! I heard a long time ago that Apple was a crap company to for. Just be happy with your stuff and stop worrying abut their weird internal culture.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimgh View Post

Don't kid yourself about Google: yes there are great perks, ...

Typo?
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You really think Kinect can ONLY be used for game consoles?

No... but if the company behind the Kinect approached Apple first... they were probably looking for a payday. I would... Apple has lots of money.

I mean... that's what Apple's good at. They turn an idea that isn't quite finished yet into something amazing.

Clearly the guys behind the Kinect had a great idea... but no execution.

Apple might have thought motion tracking technology was cool... but they probably had better things to do. If you recall... Apple's been pretty busy setting the phone and tablet world on fire. (hehe)

Maybe it just wasn't a good fit. I wouldn't call this an Apple-blunder.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

It doesn't matter if the yarn is true?? Isn't that the entire point of book like this? To separate the myths from fact?

No. The point of this book is to make money for the author and publisher.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Eric Schmidt and Bill Gates don't remember there being that much secrecy at Apple when they were there. Schmidt even got to take home a prototype iPhone.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Eric Schmidt and Bill Gates don't remember there being that much secrecy at Apple when they were there. Schmidt even got to take home a prototype iPhone.

I've always wondered about this.

Eric Schmidt was on Apple's Board of Directors... how close do Board members get to the engineering department?

I thought Boards handled policy and other executive tasks... I find it hard to believe that anyone outside of Steve and a handful of super-engineers ever saw the iPhone before January 9, 2007.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I met an engineer that had 7 years at Apple and 5 years at Google. He said they are two very different places to work. Apple really is a pressure cooker but you always get this amazing feeling of having accomplished things when a product ships. You learn new things very fast and skills sets jump up very fast. The company runs very lean and you are expected to produce.

Google is much more laid back and is great if you have no family since they have activities to keep you there 14+ hours/day. Not all of it working but "on campus". But after 5 years, he could not look at anything that felt like accomplishment. Lower stress but lower accomplishment level. He was also convinced Google could lay off 9 of 10 engineers and not impact current or future earnings potential.

Sure google is much more laid back, all they do is copy apple.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Thanks! Unfortunately, unavailable in the Dutch store. So off to check out a pre-order from the Kindle app; hmm, comes up in search, but when tapped it's 'unavailable'. Oh well, just wait till it gets released next week.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    One sentence could be said to the employees "No shop talk outside the shop"!
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

One sentence could be said to the employees "No shop talk outside the shop"!

That's the first and second rule of shop club.