AT&T introduces larger, costlier data plans: $30 for 3GB, $20 for 300MB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

In a bid to cope with ever increasing data usage from subscribers, AT&T has introduced new data plans for smartphone and tablet users, adding additional cap space but also charging customers more. The new plans max out at 5GB with tethering for $50 per month.

A press release on Wednesday from the number two U.S. mobile carrier details the new rates that will take effect on Sunday, Jan. 22, marking the first change to the company's data plans since 2010.

"Customers are using more data than ever before," said David Christopher, Chief Marketing Officer of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "Our new plans are driven by this increasing demand in a highly competitive environment, and continue to deliver a great value to customers, especially as we continue our 4G LTE deployment."

The new smartphone pricing is basically a $5 surcharge for a 1 GB bump in data for DataPro users, while DataPlus subscribers will get an extra 100 MB for the same price.

Tablet owners will see a reshuffling of options as the previous 2 GB DataConnect plan is to be replaced a 3 GB per month flavor previously only available on a two-year contract. An additional 5 GB plan will also be added for $50 per month and the lowest 250 MB plan remains unchanged.

Current subscribers can keep their existing plans or opt in to one of the new tiers when the program launches on Sunday.

Smartphone plans are as follows:

AT&T DataPlus 300MB: $20 for 300MB

AT&T DataPro 3GB: $30 for 3GB

AT&T DataPro 5GB: $50 for 5GB, with mobile hotspot / tethering

Additional data pricing remains at $10 per gigabyte for the DataPro plans and $20 per additional 300 MB for DataPlus customers.

Current AT&T smartphone data pricing | Source: AT&T.com

Tablet data tiers have changed to:

AT&T DataConnect 250MB: $14.99 for 250MB

AT&T DataConnect 3GB: $30 for 3GB

AT&T DataConnect 5GB: $50 for 5GB

Overage charges only apply to 30-day tablet prices and include $14.99 for and extra 250MB with AT&T DataConnect 250 MB, and $10 per additional gigabyte for DataConnect 3 GB and 5 GB.

Current AT&T tablet data pricing | Source: AT&T.com

The new plans reflect an upward trend in cellphone and tablet data pricing from U.S. carriers as their networks strain under the pressure of a growing customer base.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    "Thanks, customers, for showing such an interest in our data plans!"

"You? you force us to have them?"

"To show our appreciation, we're hiking the prices up!"

"? Can we not have them if we want?"

"No."
  • Reply 2 of 82
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I'm pleased I kept the DOM Unlimited MB plan from the iPad 1 launch. I've demonstrated that unlimited MB also means unlimited GB during MLB.tv season.

Edit: iPhone (Edge) too!
  • Reply 3 of 82
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    All the more reason to leave AT&T when my current contract is up
  • Reply 4 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I'm sure people will complain that it's not enough data for the peoce because such-and-such country is cheaper, but these are good options for now. Anyone want to compare to other US carriers for comparable data rates?

edit: I hadn't noticed that it increases prices for the lower tiers.

2) I all think customers would be happy for the option and AT&T would benefit from overage charges if they allowed tethering to all devices, regardless of data plan size.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The title should be "AT&T introduces new, higher prices." Did they add 1Gb to the tethering limit? Tethering has its own separate data cap.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T DataConnect 250MB: $14.99 for 250MB

AT&T DataConnect 3GB: $30 for 3GB

AT&T DataConnect 5GB: $50 for 5GB

So what this is telling us is that at each of those data levels, the vast majority of users were never exceeding their data limits. AT&T raised the limits knowing people wouldn't actually be using the extra data and jacked up the price.

Its a win for AT&T because they get more money with no extra data actually being used.

What people need to do is closely monitor their usage and towards the end of the cycle start downloading a bunch of crap to jack up their usage to near their maximums.

-kpluck
  • Reply 7 of 82
    I understand the need to simplify the message and number of plans, but that's a huge jump between small and medium.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Tech is advancing, but the carrier bozos are putting the brakes on it with these stupid data plans.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    $20 for 300 MB

automatic charge of $20 for additional 300 MB if you go over.

Am I dreaming, or is that real? That is the most vulgar, grotesque thing I have ever seen.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

And go where? They all suck.

I'm glad I kept my $30 Unlimited plan.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i'll be sticking with my unlimited plan. you know, the one where i can use up to 2GB before they throttle my speed to 150Kb/s for the remainder of the billing cycle and the first day of the next billing cycle. which is just (a) extortion to get me to move to the 2GB plan and pay more, and (b) a unilateral modification of a contract that i had no say in (accept the new terms or terminate and pay the early termination fee).

edit to add: no, my phone is not jailbroken, nor am i tethering any other devices.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

And go where? They all suck.

I'm glad I kept my $30 Unlimited plan.

I am happily using my iPhone on T-Mobile.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

To where? Sprint? Good luck with those speeds. I currently have Verizon, and was lucky enough to get in when the data plan was still unlimited, but they charge the same price ($30) for less data (2GB vs. 3GB on AT&T). They all suck, they all have their negatives, just pick the one that works best in your area. For me, that's Verizon. For others, that's their choice.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Think 79 million baby boomers beginning to retire.

Think fixed budget.

Think wifi in most homes, hotels, Starbucks & other hotspots.

Now think an iPhone that is wifi only and doesn't require a data plan (like the iPad option).

Now think ATT being the first to market.

Think they might be able to gain market share (and sell monthly data plans on an as need basis)?

Ya' think?

Nahh...to renegade, to crazy.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I wish they would do family data plans like texting,
  • Reply 16 of 82
    The thing is more people are going to be using more data services. 300mb is absolutely ludicrous And so is 2 and 3Gs. They need to find a way to open the damned data pipes and quit playing around. The tiers should be 5G, 10G and 30G. 300MB makes me so mad I could punch a baby. Overages should be $1 per gigabyte. They need to get ready and make a way for this to happen.

Sure most people don't use 5G in a month, but I use up 300mb on the way to work. Why are they being so antagonistic about this? Especially after they ganked everyone on text messaging for years.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    I'll just stick to my $32/month inc. taxes, contract free, unlimited data (first 5GB at 3G/4G speed where available), unlimited texts and 100 minutes thank you very much T-Mobile. AT&T can do one.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I understand the need to simplify the message and number of plans, but that's a huge jump between small and medium.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

$20 for 300 MB

automatic charge of $20 for additional 300 MB if you go over.

Am I dreaming, or is that real? That is the most vulgar, grotesque thing I have ever seen.

Yup, they are really saying that they don't what you to be on a small, reasonably priced plan. They want minimum $30/month from you. Bucause if you are on the small plan and hit 301 MB you'll be paying $40.

It's the same tactic the use when pricing text messages. You can pay 25 cents (or what is it now) for each message, or you can just pay us $20 for "peace of mind" that you won't get slammed with a huge bill if you sent a lot of text messages one month. That alone is enough that I will never switch to ATT. I do send text messages. Too many to be paying 25 cents each, but not enough to justify a $20/month charge on my bill. I'll stick with my $5/month for 250 plan, thankyouverymuch.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Makes those unlimited users complaining about getting throttled at less than 3GB think pretty hard about keeping that unlimited plan.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Yup, they are really saying that they don't what you to be on a small, reasonably priced plan. They want minimum $30/month from you. Bucause if you are on the small plan and hit 301 MB you'll be paying $40.

It's the same tactic the use when pricing text messages. You can pay 25 cents (or what is it now) for each message, or you can just pay us $20 for "peace of mind" that you won't get slammed with a huge bill if you sent a lot of text messages one month. That alone is enough that I will never switch to ATT. I do send text messages. Too many to be paying 25 cents each, but not enough to justify a $20/month charge on my bill. I'll stick with my $5/month for 250 plan, thankyouverymuch.

I've told everyone I know - either get an iOS5 iPhone or don't text me, ever.