GE gives employees choice of Macs as Apple makes inroads in enterprise

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

... or do I feel like a contemporary Jane Austen?

You too write soap operas disguised as literature that high schoolers are forced to read?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It would be nice if GE would make their software products work on Macs too. Then perhaps their customers would consider them cool.

Good point. One of the biggies is their Supra software which realtors use to activate their keycards.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Good to hear. Hopefully GE gets some inspiration from Apple products too. Their products seem uninspired and often cut corners in places where there should be no compromises.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Good point. One of the biggies is their Supra software which realtors use to activate their keycards.

And their Unicorn software for running chromatography systems, which I am not even sure works on Windows 7.

One thing about GE products - they are all acquired. I don't think there is a centralized strategy for technology development - software or hardware. They all tend to acquire companies strong in hardware but weak in software (with some exceptions).
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Good to hear. Hopefully GE gets some inspiration from Apple products too. Their products seem uninspired and often cut corners in places where there should be no compromises.

I question this generalization. GE acquires companies. There is no centralized product design strategy. Instead, there is a centralized management system. Even within major product divisions, there is significant diversification in products and product engineering that I just fail to see how you can make a singular judgement like that. If their engineers in one division cut corners in designing, say, their molecular imaging or bioreactor systems, there is just no way you can make the same case about their jet engines.

And frankly, who cuts corners better than Apple? Every corner on their products is rounded
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You too write soap operas disguised as literature that high schoolers are forced to read?

And there lies the crux of my (self proclaimed) comedic performance!
  • Reply 27 of 31
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't understand the anti-Apple stance in enterprises. I just got a Macbook AIR, my first Mac, and it's fabulous. Yes, you have a learning curve and for a first few weeks it's a bit frustrated but after that everything is just rosy. But the best part is I'm more productive with it 'cause I love to use it, work with it.

If they're uncertain about Windows software then just use Bootcamp. No need to be afraid.

Even new applications are written today using .NET that require Windows/IE. It will take years to work that cruft out of the system (if ever), because apparently the .NET stuff actually is worthwhile for some applications.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Wow. Ten years ago, businesses refused to even acknowledge the existence of Macs in the Enterprise. Now, it's becoming a major positive. This type of change is simply astounding.

This is what everyone should take away from this news. Absolutely stunning. A few years ago I guarantee you that GE was as PC centric as the worst of them. The fact that Apple has made inroads at a control freak company like GE is just huge. The trolls at Microsoft are running around bumping into the walls right now trying to figure out how in the hell they can FUD this news.

They can't.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    krystykrysty Posts: 5member
    that's nice but strange.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't understand the anti-Apple stance in enterprises. I just got a Macbook AIR, my first Mac, and it's fabulous. Yes, you have a learning curve and for a first few weeks it's a bit frustrated but after that everything is just rosy. But the best part is I'm more productive with it 'cause I love to use it, work with it.

If they're uncertain about Windows software then just use Bootcamp. No need to be afraid.

Sir: You don't have a learning curve with Apple OS, and software...you need a hard drive erase of the parts of your brain that you are correlating the Apple way to the "PC" way. Don't compare with the PC ways, start fresh...
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Hello, quick question - maybe someone can help? umrk_lab posted the following quote in 2012. Does anyone know where this quote is from, where the original publication can be found and/ or what the context to the statement was? Thanks for any thoughts and information!! umrk_lab Posts: 550 member January 2012 June 2012 : GE's CEO issued today the following press announcement : "Following a thorough analysis of all cost items (acquisition, maintenance, etc ..) we have concluded that PCs are no longer competitive. Therefore, with possible justified limited exceptions in identified limited areas (industrial control, measurement devices, etc ..) we will no longer buy any PC, and gradually replace the existing ones by Macs. Furthermore, we have concluded with Apple a strategic agreement to address any remaining issues (migration, etc ..) that Apple will coordinate with other subtier suppliers (hardware or software). This decision is now effective. It will not only make our employees more productive, but also, as we have checked it, more happy with at work"."