Apple to reinvent the textbook with interactive iBooks 2 for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

I would have absolutely loved this in school. I remember paying $140.00 for a new chemistry book, and then when I went to the bookstore at the end of the semester to get my cash back, I found out they were moving to a new version. If they can get all of the major publishers to start using ibooks and can hold that $15.00 price point that I have read, it will be an amazing service. The ipad would pay for itself.

The thing is, it works out well for the publisher too. The high price of books is based largely on the fact that students sell them at the end of the semester and the publisher gets nothing from secondary sales. They would now get cash on all textbook sales and it would at least limit sharing since it would be linked to an itunes account.

The other thing this would do would get even more ipads in the amount of students. Basically, it is a win for everyone.

This looks like it hurts printers and distributors/resellers most. I expect the publishers to make even more money but without all the additional cost of putting out a new printed book every year or two.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Underwhelmed. First time I've seen Apple announce something that is largely irrelevant. And with iBooks Author, now anyone can make a textbook with crappy content, and claim it is a "published textbook." I can see whole school districts in Kansas making science textbooks that omit evolution.

Nothing here, move along. Except of course, tho looks like Apple is returning to the Newton Model of business.

We've only seen some tools, you know there is an ecosystem change coming also with Apple's entry. And that's the hard part that Apple has done well in other industries more than once.
  • Reply 23 of 117
    Quote:

Underwhelmed. First time I've seen Apple announce something that is largely irrelevant. And with iBooks Author, now anyone can make a textbook with crappy content, and claim it is a "published textbook." I can see whole school districts in Kansas making science textbooks that omit evolution. ...

Indeed. I see major problems with content ahead.

Apple will no doubt start with the premise that they won't censor or edit content, but what if I want to make a sex education book available in the USA with "interactive elements?" what if I want to publish a Women's rights textbook in iBooks and make it available in United Arab Emirates?

Are people going to be allowed to publish anything at all and call it a textbook? They should be, but I don't see it happening. The US is one of the most anal, religious countries on earth. There are literally tons of topics (besides the obvious), that would be intolerable to that audience.

Who's going to check the facts on all this stuff?
  • Reply 24 of 117
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The real benefit that computers bring to knowledge is the ability to put all knowledge in one place and link it together. Such as Wikipedia does. In that sense separate/individual textbooks are anachronistic. But in another sense, when someone young is learning, they still need a self-contained introductory tome on a subject, and textbooks are still relevant for that purpose.

I am disappointed there is no iBooks for Mac. Amazon somehow managed this. Whatever the technical or legal hurdles, they overcame them, and I can now read my Amazon books on both the Mac and iPad.

I also would have liked to hear them mention gifted education. The advantage of an interactive book is that it can (in theory) adjust to the reader, should they want to know more.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    Phil looks killer. He's like half the size he was!
  • Reply 26 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

... The high price of books is based largely on the fact that students sell them at the end of the semester and the publisher gets nothing from secondary sales. ...

This is not actually true. Historically, you are putting the cart before the horse here.

The buying back of textbooks arose as a *reaction* to the high prices of the books which came first. There was a least a decade of the publishers raping the students for their money before the buyback thing got started.

The buying back of course books originally started as a separate business by parties who saw an opportunity because the publishers were stealing the students lunch money with their pricing structure. Only then, after about five or six years of that, did the publishers step in and take over the buyback business so that they could make even more money.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I think the take away value of this is to note that only Apple can supply the end-to-end toolchain you need to create these kind of books. Amazon released a more capable ebook format recently but Amazon can't do tools like iBooks Creator. Android just doesn't have anything like this and if a school wanted to adopt Android tablets who do they turn to, Google? Samsung? None of these companies appear to be interested in the long-term viability of their products. I don't think any school is going to purchase 100k Samsung Galaxy Tab's. With Apple they get all the tools they need from a single supplier and they know the platform will be supported, they'll be able to get updates, etc. Apple just extended its lead in education and, more importantly, showed a huge amount of commitment to improving education. This presentation was clearly aimed at US educators. Now, if you're a school or university considering using tablets, you'd be utterly insane to consider anything other than the iPad. That's a pretty big deal.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Phil looks killer. He's like half the size he was!

In before "PHIL HAS CANCER, TOO".
  • Reply 29 of 117
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I think that's exactly right. An excellent teacher could do a better job than even the best designed interactive book. Also, a very motivated and smart student could learn everything they need from a traditional paper book. The new interactive book will make it easier, more fun, and faster to learn information, helping students that aren't as interested and not trying as hard. The job of a teacher and book is to make it as clear and easy as possible for students to understand difficult concepts (at least for technical subjects like math, biology, chemistry, etc).

In my personal experience and with my childrens I've found there to be more poor teachers than good ones. Anything that make it easier them to motivate their students is worthwhile. Likewise anything that motivates the average student to learn on their own is also worthwhile. I don't think a traditional book converted to digital will accomplish any of the above.

It will be interesting to see actual iBooks2 and how they differ from traditional boks. If well done the concept may well be a game changer in education.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    Quote:

Underwhelmed. First time I've seen Apple announce something that is largely irrelevant. And with iBooks Author, now anyone can make a textbook with crappy content, and claim it is a "published textbook." I can see whole school districts in Kansas making science textbooks that omit evolution.

They might make them, but good luck getting Apple to sell them.

If my school district were to propose a large capital expenditure to buy iPads which would force them to buy all textbooks from a single vendor, Apple, I would go to the meetings and object.

It would be crazy for any school district to lock themselves into buying only Apple-approved texts. Apple has proven that the software it vends through its online stores is subject to secret and idiosyncratic approval mechanisms.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

When I look back at my education, I can't clearly remember a single teaching supplement that I used, but I can remember the teachers that chose to make a difference.

iBooks 2 is not going to change that.

I wasn't a big fan of English class, but one of my favorites classes overall was 12th Grade English because of the teacher. I don't think giving me an iPad in the other X number of English classes I took would have changed my opinion.

I wish Apple the best on this endeavor, but I'm a little skeptical.

That's it then? Because education depends on something more than the material you're going to dismiss a much-improved piece of material?

This kind of people makes me depressed.
  • Reply 32 of 117
    Quote:

largely irrelevant

So is your poorly constructed opinion on the matter.
  • Reply 33 of 117
    I see the benefit of having a tool like this available in the classroom, whether it's for high school or for college.

I had several great instructors in high school, who did the best that they could with videos to get a point across. In the classes that had projectors, they tried power points. Classes that didn't, used that light box with the magnifier that would project it on a white pull down screen. All in all though the instructors did the best they could with the tools that they had. On more than one occation the TV, VCR or Projector wouldn't work and they had to move on to something else.

With a tool like this, an instructor could quite easily present information in a way that is easier to understand. Chemistry? Heck yes that would have helped me! The ability to actually see an atom as a three dimentional object would have helped me immensely. It was a difficult subject for me because I couldn't (at the time) understand how this flat image of valence shells was supposed to be 3 dimentional. All the static pictures in the book didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.

Biology? Absolutely too! It would be great to read text as I do now, then look at a supplemental video embeded in the program that lets me see what's actually taking place. I do it now with news, read a story, watch the video. Or while reviewing information on photosynthesis, you see a video of what goes on inside the cell while it's still alive.

Crappy teachers will still be crappy teachers because they lack enthusiasm for what they do. The best teachers I had were enthusiastic, maybe not the smartest people on the planet, but they LOVED what they were doing and it showed through in their class instruction.

I just wish this wasn't targeted towards K-12... I could have used some serious relief in my college classes from the stagnant powerpoint lessons or even the cost of text books alone.
  • Reply 34 of 117
    Quote:

Nothing here, move along. Except of course, tho looks like Apple is returning to the Newton Model of business.

And thats not a good thing? Science can be learned/executed without the presuppositions brought by evolution and millions of years. Why not let the students see actual observable science in action and let them make the logical decision on their own? Id rather my kids use their minds and their own discernment rather than be spoon fed one theology/ideology or another.

Observability, testability, repeatability, and falsifiability are the hallmarks of the scientific method. I say leave evolution/millions of years out of the books and let kids figure it out on their own... in the end it would make them better problem solvers - force them to figure out what is true instead of just telling them what is true.
  • Reply 35 of 117
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They might make them, but good luck getting Apple to sell them.

If my school district were to propose a large capital expenditure to buy iPads which would force them to buy all textbooks from a single vendor, Apple, I would go to the meetings and object.

It would be crazy for any school district to lock themselves into buying only Apple-approved texts. Apple has proven that the software it vends through its online stores is subject to secret and idiosyncratic approval mechanisms.

One vender? The books are from major publishers. How is it different than the ones from the same publisher you get in other platforms? If my kid's school has someone like you I'd go and vote to fire you in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 36 of 117
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I can't help but think in the Education video Eddie Cue looks like an animated character: http://www.apple.com/education/#video-textbooks

Either way, I think this will be great for schools (like mine) planning on completely moving away from text and exercise books to iPads and Macs. This is technology, if used correctly, could really move schools 10 years ahead of where they are now.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    Jesus - I can tell Americans struggle to speak ... seriously the phrase "Falling into disrepair" is now being distorted into "Falling in to disappear" ?? Surely this is a step too far towards stupidity or towards mishearing a well-known phrase in one's youth and then repeating the mistake ad nauseum until all are contamonated... a step even the US is unwilling to take ?? You are already struggling with English - why not take this further step I guess ... may these repeated mistakes not go "nucular" !

The terrible irony is this rampant stupidity and rampant abuse of the English language occurs in a post about education ... EDUCATION, of all things. Good Grief !!
  • Reply 38 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

I say leave evolution/millions of years out of the books and let kids figure it out on their own... in the end it would make them better problem solvers - force them to figure out what is true instead of just telling them what is true.

The facts supporting a geocentric universe could also be presented in a more balanced manner. Leave out all those bits about the "theory of universal gravitation". Let them figure out for themselves what is true.

• Reply 39 of 117
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

So is your poorly constructed opinion on the matter.

Poor eightzero lives in Seattle, which is a suburb of Redmond () where I suspect many are having trouble right now in the mental-horizon department. I have an Apple-hater ex-friend up there, that's why I suspect this. Does anyone who is on the scene there have confirmation of this?
  • Reply 40 of 117
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

When I look back at my education, I can't clearly remember a single teaching supplement that I used, but I can remember the teachers that chose to make a difference.

iBooks 2 is not going to change that.

I wasn't a big fan of English class, but one of my favorites classes overall was 12th Grade English because of the teacher. I don't think giving me an iPad in the other X number of English classes I took would have changed my opinion.

I wish Apple the best on this endeavor, but I'm a little skeptical.

I'm glad you got to go to school in a time when education wasn't under attack and teachers had the classroom sizes and resources to give you that great experience.

Today teachers need all the help they can get.