Apple to reinvent the textbook with interactive iBooks 2 for iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

If they can get all of the major publishers to start using ibooks and can hold that $15.00 price point that I have read,

For a fully featured e-textbook I'd even go as high as $50. Especially if it is updated with errata, new chapters etc for free. It would still be a huge bargain
  • Reply 62 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's an interesting thought. Those graphics calculators are expensive and it would be a shame if students had to jump between two apps to do some equations from a math textbook and calc app, but I have a feeling Apple won't give access to its iOS calc app in the SDK so I think they will have to create their own. I hope I'm wrong.

Yes, we should make learning more boring for students, not less¡

BTW, making a book more interactive doesn't necessarily make it more entertaining but it does add a new way to engage the student that could lead to a much faster and more thorough understanding of the content in ways printed material never could

We helped setup a Computer Lab of Apple ][ computers at Saratoga High School, Saratoga CA -- in 1980...

The displays were small Color TV sets.

The most amazing thing to see was a student leaning forward laughing and interacting with the "TV" -- as opposed to leaning back and vegetating!

• Reply 63 of 117
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Anybody know: What's missing from iBooks Author for the creation of magazines?

Is Adobe now a 'beleaguered' company?
  • Reply 64 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Anybody know: What's missing from iBooks Author for the creation of magazines?

iAds.

Quote:

Is Adobe now a 'beleaguered' company?

Since aught eight.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Evolution is a theory, intelligent design is a faith. There is a massive difference here because one can't be disconnected from the teaching of religion. It isn't so much that many want evolution to be taught in schools it is the issue of using public schools as a state sponsored forum to teach a religious view point that they object to. It is all about trying to keep our crumbling Constitution intact.

So if you are to teach biology in high school, you need the freedom to teach evolution as it is a sound scientific Theory. Note the word theory, it is not fact nor ideology, but rather a sound scientific theory that explains many things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

And thats not a good thing? Science can be learned/executed without the presuppositions brought by evolution and millions of years. Why not let the students see actual observable science in action and let them make the logical decision on their own? Id rather my kids use their minds and their own discernment rather than be spoon fed one theology/ideology or another.

This is high school weare talking about here, your kids ability to use their minds to come to rational conclusions is only just developing. Beyond that how much real science can you do in regards to evolution can you do in a high school biology class? High schools are not research institutions. At best teachers have a few days to offer up the theory and move on to the next component of the class.

Quote:

Observability, testability, repeatability, and falsifiability are the hallmarks of the scientific method. I say leave evolution/millions of years out of the books and let kids figure it out on their own... in the end it would make them better problem solvers - force them to figure out what is true instead of just telling them what is true.

You seem to want us to believe that you know all about the scientific method but yet you paint theories as truth. That in itself is a problem because in many sciences it is well know that theories are incomplete or at odds with each other. Evolution can only be properly taught as a theory, your trying to call it fact is just as much non sense as the creationist trying to say intelligent design has scientific credibility.

In any event the whole argument about censorship is valid, we need to know that Apple will not engage in such measures. Not to protect us from crazy ideas like intelligent design but rather to simply keep the flow of information free from the evils of censorship.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Come on guys, take this to the PO forum and leave this thread for actual app discussion.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Imagine new D&D books that let you create your character within the book and export the file in a format readable by the D&D Insider Character Builder

Or they could create an app for that, for that whole universe even. It could hold all the content from all the books, have character builders, map builders perhaps. If you were 'the Master' you could create the campaign and it would be recorded as people make their moves so if you had to cut short you could pick up where you left off and even review the old stuff. You could connect in folks that might not be in the room via some kind of networking system. Etc.

Exported interaction with these ibooks would be more of the 'make notes etc and be able to export them as an outline, study sheet' type stuff
  • Reply 68 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This looks like it hurts printers and distributors/resellers most. I expect the publishers to make even more money but without all the additional cost of putting out a new printed book every year or two.

Think of the bookstore seling/exchange, warehousing, distribution, insurance and inventory management cost saving to colleges and districts.

...the dog ate my iPad...
  • Reply 69 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I'm glad you got to go to school in a time when education wasn't under attack and teachers had the classroom sizes and resources to give you that great experience.

Today teachers need all the help they can get.

I live two districts away from where I matriculated.

My childhood district and current district both have better teacher:student ratios now then they did when I was in school and the per-student spending is over 2x what is was while administrative costs are flat (yes, inflation adjusted). If I tell you where the vast majority of the increase went to, you can leave the whole "woe be the teachers" attitude at the door (hint: it didn't make it to the students).
  • Reply 70 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vXhanz View Post

I see the benefit of having a tool like this available in the classroom, whether it's for high school or for college.

I had several great instructors in high school, who did the best that they could with videos to get a point across. In the classes that had projectors, they tried power points. Classes that didn't, used that light box with the magnifier that would project it on a white pull down screen. All in all though the instructors did the best they could with the tools that they had. On more than one occation the TV, VCR or Projector wouldn't work and they had to move on to something else.

With a tool like this, an instructor could quite easily present information in a way that is easier to understand. Chemistry? Heck yes that would have helped me! The ability to actually see an atom as a three dimentional object would have helped me immensely. It was a difficult subject for me because I couldn't (at the time) understand how this flat image of valence shells was supposed to be 3 dimentional. All the static pictures in the book didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.

Biology? Absolutely too! It would be great to read text as I do now, then look at a supplemental video embeded in the program that lets me see what's actually taking place. I do it now with news, read a story, watch the video. Or while reviewing information on photosynthesis, you see a video of what goes on inside the cell while it's still alive.

Crappy teachers will still be crappy teachers because they lack enthusiasm for what they do. The best teachers I had were enthusiastic, maybe not the smartest people on the planet, but they LOVED what they were doing and it showed through in their class instruction.

I just wish this wasn't targeted towards K-12... I could have used some serious relief in my college classes from the stagnant powerpoint lessons or even the cost of text books alone.

Excellent points....

Here's another...

We've all heard of the old saw "Learn by doing"...

A corollary is to "Learn by teaching"...

A new corollary might be "Learn by Authoring"...

Can you imagine iBooks Author in the hands of an interested student!

• Reply 71 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Blah blah blah...

The problem is there are only a handful of Steve Jobs types born in each generation. Only a handful of people in any field at any one time have an innate sense of what is "good", "great" or simply "bad". The overwhelming vast majority (as in >95%) of people MUST first live in the box and learn what the box has to teach before stepping out.

Is tech a solution? Only partially. Teaching teachers how to teach and increasing salaries to get good teachers is also critical.

I mostly agree. But when it comes to the pay of teachers, I have a serious problem with the perception that's out there. On the surface, teachers do not get paid a lot. Teachers do not live in mansions - true enough. But teachers do ok. If they are careful with saving money, they can afford a mortgage. Furthermore, they have the whole frigging summer off. They have a good pension plan. And they can obtain tenure without much difficulty! I will go along with paying teachers more if they are willing to give up on some of these securities.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Excellent points....

Here's another...

We've all heard of the old saw "Learn by doing"...

A corollary is to "Learn by teaching"...

A new corollary might be "Learn by Authoring"...

Can you imagine iBooks Author in the hands of an interested student!

Consider the flip side. Now it will be easier to publish crap and misinformation too. Just look at the internet. In general, I agree this is a good thing but I bet we will soon see beautifully illustrated eBooks on intelligent design.
  • Reply 73 of 117
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post

I love what we can do with technology - but 2 things these new beautiful ENTERTAINING books can not do compared to print.

The Printed form can not BE ALTERED as in present a new point of view of history in education. (I work in the legal field and ROM is still very importatnt)

and 2 - when one day (if) we lose power in society or become poor to the point where we can not access electricty - the printed form is all we will have left.

I am not saying this for doomsday reasons - or to say that only the rich will prosper - its just that everything these days are made with entertainment in mind rather then the educational experience needed that will exercise your mind from the printed text.

of course this will appeal to the youth - and thats how it starts.

Love apple - hate that everything has to be ENTERTAINMENT-ED (if that's a word) just to get someone to read.

One of the major problems with teaching is finding ways to draw kids in, to make them interested and excited about learning. My 6 year old loves school and has no problem being interested in everything, but not all kids are like that, I certainly wasn't. I was bored in school and I bet money that these new style of ebooks would have made things much more interesting.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yes. but there will likely be some kind of SDK (which might even already be announced in another article) for production just like there is for apps, iTunes Extras/LP etc

iBooks Author is the free app on the Mac for the creation of the books.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    My granddaughter is autistic. Although she does not interact with people well, she interacts with her iPad more than anything, including the DVD player and the television. She picked up Google somehow. She loves Taco Bell and visits that web site often. I am convinced that using the iPad as an educational tool will aid in her development.

Educational institutions are embracing the iPad every day. Adding this tool for educators will cause in an explosion of iPad use throughout the world. I remember the load of books I had to haul from class to class. Equipped with an iPad I wouldn't have had to carry a pencil. I applaud Apple for the boost they have bestowed to our doctors, scientists, astronauts, teachers, programmers etc. of the future.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    I don't see any college books being sold for the ipad any time soon due to the high profits being made as of now.

But could there be "renting" of college books in the future???????

Now that makes more sense and it benefits everyone.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I can't get any courses to load in the iTunes U bookshelf app. And, my PDFs now are not loading in my iBook app

I can't really 'subscribe' to a course. I have to individually download each video and or course

Is it me, or are there a lot of usability issues here?
  • Reply 78 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamenS View Post

Jesus - I can tell Americans struggle to speak ... seriously the phrase "Falling into disrepair" is now being distorted into "Falling in to disappear" ?? Surely this is a step too far towards stupidity or towards mishearing a well-known phrase in one's youth and then repeating the mistake ad nauseum until all are contamonated... a step even the US is unwilling to take ?? You are already struggling with English - why not take this further step I guess ... may these repeated mistakes not go "nucular" !

The terrible irony is this rampant stupidity and rampant abuse of the English language occurs in a post about education ... EDUCATION, of all things. Good Grief !!

Well, Hoi Polloi for you!

BTW, I really enjoy the tune South Rampant Street Parade -- especially Pete Fountain's version.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post

I love what we can do with technology - but 2 things these new beautiful ENTERTAINING books can not do compared to print.

The Printed form can not BE ALTERED as in present a new point of view of history in education. (I work in the legal field and ROM is still very importatnt)

and 2 - when one day (if) we lose power in society or become poor to the point where we can not access electricty - the printed form is all we will have left.

I am not saying this for doomsday reasons - or to say that only the rich will prosper - its just that everything these days are made with entertainment in mind rather then the educational experience needed that will exercise your mind from the printed text.

of course this will appeal to the youth - and thats how it starts.

Love apple - hate that everything has to be ENTERTAINMENT-ED (if that's a word) just to get someone to read.

Yeah but think of the new classroom lexicons... Teacher: "Okay class, swipe to 'such and such' page and when there pinch open the graph on 'whatever' and for homework, watch the video in chapter 999..." Now that's Edu-Entertament!

/

/

/
  • Reply 80 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamenS View Post

And then you get the Spanish speakers who allow you to understand why Americans can't speak English any more. Thank you for illustrating my point, Senior stupido !

Don't you mean: "El señor estúpido de la edad mejor?