iBooks Author accounts are free, but existing developers must make a new account

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Apple's new iBooks Author application for Mac OS X allows authors to create iBook titles and submit them to the iBookstore for free. But authors who already have an iTunes Connect developer account will need to create a second account to submit books.

Apple on Thursday released a new set of frequently asked questions related to its new, free iBooks Author tool for Mac OS X. Authors must complete an application to sell their titles on the iBookstore, and there is no upfront fee associated with creating an account.

But the new iBooks Author tool does present a wrinkle for existing iOS developers. Those with an existing iTunes Connect account cannot use that account to publish iBooks -- Apple requires that those users create another Apple ID associated with iBooks Author.

This shortcoming is clearly laid out in Apple's iBooks Author FAQ: "If you currently have an iTunes Connect account to sell another media type, you cannot create a second iTunes Connect account with the same Apple ID. You'll need to set up a new Apple ID and use it to complete a separate book application."

Apple requires that all iBooks Authors have an iTunes account with a current credit card on file. Because Apple takes a 30 percent cut of all sales, it also requires a U.S. Tax ID as part of the iTunes Connect sign-up and authentication process.

Though tax information is needed, authors are not required to charge money for their iBooks. Authors can distribute self-published content on the iBookstore and make those titles available for free, if they so choose.

Books must also be uniquely identified with an ISBN, or International Standard Book Number. These can be obtained in the U.S. through myidentifiers.com, or internationally at isbn-international.org/agency.

If the author of a print book is making a new digital version of their title, it also requires a new ISBN. Print and digital editions of the same book must have different ISBN numbers assigned to them.

iTunes Connect accounts can be associated with an individual or a company. Those who sign up for an account will be notified of their application status via e-mail.

The iBookstore does not accept PDF files, only ePub files. ePub is a free electronic book standard that uses XHTML, and ePub files must be validated to ensure they comply with formatting standards.

Apple's FAQ also notes that periodicals and magazines are not supported by the iBookstore. These can instead be offered through the iOS Newsstand application, which requires a standard iOS developer account for software to be submitted to the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    The iBookstore does not accept PDF files, only ePub files. ePub is a free electronic book standard that uses XHTML, and ePub files must be validated to ensure they comply with formatting standards.

But are the books created in iBooks Author ePub 3 compliant, or are they really book apps that can be read by the new iBooks2?

Does anyone know the answer to that? Currently Pages can export to ePub, but what you get is a typical eBook.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's FAQ also notes that periodicals and magazines are not supported by the iBookstore. These can instead be offered through the iOS Newsstand application, which requires a standard iOS developer account for software to be submitted to the App Store.

The interactive books produced by iBook Author seem far superior to the crap I have seen in iOS Newsstand so far. Most of the periodicals and magazines in there are very poorly done and not much better than a low resolution PDF file.

Apple would be wise to encourage iBook Author to become the standard for periodicals and magazines. I would be much more likely to buy digital magazines if the interactivity was as good as what I've seen in the demo videos.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The interactive books produced by iBook Author seem far superior to the crap I have seen in iOS Newsstand so far. Most of the periodicals and magazines in there are very poorly done and not much better than a low resolution PDF file.

Apple would be wise to encourage iBook Author to become the standard for periodicals and magazines. I would be much more likely to buy digital magazines if the interactivity was as good as what I've seen in the demo videos.

Very good point. On the other hand, maybe iBooks Author will the first in a line of products that would include iMag Author, iNews Author, iBlog Author ...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Though tax information is needed, authors are not required to charge money for their iBooks.

I'm planning on charging goats for mine. Does that required a tax ID?

New self publishers will find that the biggest wrinkle isn't creating a new ID with Apple, it will be dealing with Bowker, Inc., the company that administers the ISBN system in the US. Not only is their system confusing (especially for first-timers), obtaining an ISBN is costly when not bought in quantity. You can buy one for somewhat less in the secondary market but your name won't be listed in the ISBN system as the publisher (though this probably won't matter for e-books).

Publishing is a world onto its own. Apple would be have done first time self-publishers a big favor if they'd integrated the ISBN system into iBooks Author. Navigating it alone is no fun.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The unending garbage I've had to put up with because I had to create a second AppleID for .Mac when I already had one (though without the mac.com address which was apparently So Damn Important) has really soured me on anything requiring registration through the company. I'm not inclined to take advantage of ANY new services or features or opportunities or anything else until they realize the importance of One ID To Rule Them All and provide tools to merge existing AppleIDs.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm planning on charging goats for mine. Does that required a tax ID?

New self publishers will find that the biggest wrinkle isn't creating a new ID with Apple, it will be dealing with Bowker, Inc., the company that administers the ISBN system in the US. Not only is their system confusing (especially for first-timers), obtaining an ISBN is costly when not bought in quantity. You can buy one for somewhat less in the secondary market but your name won't be listed in the ISBN system as the publisher (though this probably won't matter for e-books).

Publishing is a world onto its own. Apple would be have done first time self-publishers a big favor if they'd integrated the ISBN system into iBooks Author. Navigating it alone is no fun.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The whole ISBN thing always was the biggest hurdle to self-publishing and with this new system it hasn't changed at all.

Basically this is an American only system (at least for now).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I agree wholeheartedly.

The whole ISBN thing always was the biggest hurdle to self-publishing and with this new system it hasn't changed at all.

Basically this is an American only system (at least for now).

The discovery that I had to pay $125 for one ISBN or ten for $250 came as a shock. In batches of 1,000 the price falls to $5 each. This system is heavily biased towards big publishers and presents a substantial hurdle for smaller ones. Even more unfortunately I don't see the utility of even having an ISBN for an e-book. The system is utilized mainly by book stores and libraries for ordering and inventory, none of which applies to e-books. I suppose Apple uses the ISBN for internal cataloging.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

Very good point. On the other hand, maybe iBooks Author will the first in a line of products that would include iMag Author, iNews Author, iBlog Author ...

Hopefully, additional templates will simply be added to iBooks Author (maybe they'll eventually just call it "iAuthor") for any kind of book, magazine, blog, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Can you still submit a normal ePub with an author account? I think for "normal books" ePub with dynamic font size and, pages reflowing with the font size is better than a the new interactive, "locked layout" format. Would be great if the new format could also support adjustable font size for chapters with a lot of reading.Anyone who could share some insight here?

I don't have Lion so I can't even try the author app :-(
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Can you still submit a normal ePub with an author account? I think for "normal books" ePub with dynamic font size and, pages reflowing with the font size is better than a the new interactive, "locked layout" format. Would be great if the new format could also support adjustable font size for chapters with a lot of reading.Anyone who could share some insight here?

I don't have Lion so I can't even try the author app :-(

You can submit an ePub book to iBooks - in fact, there are currently only 8 books inside the Textbook category that I assume were created with iBook Author.

Pages will export to ePub, though the results aren't terribly satisfactory.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

You can submit an ePub book to iBooks - in fact, there are currently only 8 books inside the Textbook category that I assume were created with iBook Author.

Pages will export to ePub, though the results aren't terribly satisfactory.

Thanks!

Appreciate it.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Can someone verify that iBooks Author files can be distributed/published directly through the iOS Newsstand or is this just assumption/speculation?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakman View Post

Can someone verify that iBooks Author files can be distributed/published directly through the iOS Newsstand or is this just assumption/speculation?

Currently iOS newsstand only supports apps. I think this is going to change very soon.

It may be that you still purchase an app but that app then loads the iBooks for that particular magazine/subscription. Either way iBooks Author appears to be the best solution for creating this type of content.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    annsanannsan Posts: 1member

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get a US tax id - I'm Canadian. Cheers

• Reply 15 of 15

Dear annsan,

You can find the information in the website of IRS... I found this web info http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq/0,,id=199667,00.html

I am colombian living in Mexico and I found a person here that do that for mexican people. You just need to check in IRS... I think they are many people who do that in Canada.