Wanted MacBook Air with built in 3G

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
iPads have had an option for 3G for over two years now is their any prospect for us dinosaurs that want to have proper mobile computing?

Am I alone with this wish?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    So you want 2GB a month on a desktop computer with no way to stop it from going over and charging you when you inevitably do?

I think you're alone in that wish.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I think it'd be a nice option ... but...

If I could only choose one, I'd RATHER have a common pool of data on my iPhone (even across my entire family plan) that would include tethering... that way a person could just tether the laptop to their iPhone during those times they're away from a "proper" WiFi signal.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Addison View Post

iPads have had an option for 3G for over two years now is their any prospect for us dinosaurs that want to have proper mobile computing?

Am I alone with this wish?

For a long time that is what I wished for. Things change though and most of my mobile needs are covered with my iPad and iPhone. There are certainly times when it would be nice to have no doubt. It is just that now I can wait to find a wifi hotspot most of the time.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    iPhone tethering an MBA works just fine, both over USB and Bluetooth, provided your carrier supports tethering in the first place. This however is hardly Apple's problem.

I've been using my Air coupled with the iPhone many times. And the data volume is not significantly higher on the Air than on the iPhone, as long as you stick to the same tasks.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

iPhone tethering an MBA works just fine, both over USB and Bluetooth, provided your carrier supports tethering in the first place. This however is hardly Apple's problem.

I've been using my Air coupled with the iPhone many times. And the data volume is not significantly higher on the Air than on the iPhone, as long as you stick to the same tasks.

Oh yeah!... I completely forgot about BT tethering! (and yes, I'm aware that tethering restrictions aren't Apple's doing. I just intended to state that that would be more beneficial than 3g in a laptop (to me.)