Microsoft's Windows falls 6% on slow PC sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

FWIW, my 2002 iMac is still in daily use, although by my Mom, and I have bought another 5 in the same time.

Assuming all of those are still in use that puts the average age at 5 years. For a 9-12 year average every one of those Macs would need to stay in use until you buy your next Mac sometime between 2016 and 2019.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The average PC life lasts until the warranty expires. My Mac is 6.5 years old and will probably be replaced this year if a new iMac comes out.

If the average PC lifespan to is the same as a warranty it means for every user with a PC that lasts longer than the warranty there is a user with a PC that dies during the warranty period but they don't bother claiming it.

I think you need to revisit your statistics

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've certainly read studies that show Macs are used longer than the average non-Mac PC but 3-4x longer seems like a natural exaggeration of something that once was truthful.

I think that's correct. I would guess something closer to 1.5x instead of 3.0x (meaning an average Mac lifespan of 4.5 to 6 years).
  • Reply 42 of 64
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Steve Balmer is a dream for apple - hes def good at sales but has no answer to change...and the industry is moving forward fast..microsoft will stay profitable but for how long.
  • Reply 43 of 64

Research firm predicts Windows Phone will climb past iPhone by 2015

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/predict...ket-share-2015

Enjoy happiest moment that will never return
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

It's a new slapppy with graphs!
  • Reply 45 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What that graph doesn't show is where Windows phones were before the iPhone changed everything. It's just there current location and 4 years of projection... something we've been seeing since 2007 and yet MS's marketshare on phones just keeps dropping. It's actually a bit sad because I want quality to win out and WP7 is a quality OS that deserves a solid niche in the market.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

Actually this could be not too far stretched. Sooner or later there will be no more room for Innovation in smartphone industry and they will inevitably become commodity products.

In the long run whoever has a better ecosystem, cloud services, navigation, and search will win the war. I am afraid Google is better positioned so far. Not sure about Microsoft and Apple.

Like I said in one of the recent threads, Apples must acquire Wolfram to build a new kind of search engine, a really intelligent one, so that iOS users would not ever feel need googling anymore and bringing revenues to one of the primary competitors.

I also think it was a mistake they let Yelp to go IPO. Now it is too expensive as a strategic acquisition target.

I hope Apple is preparing some surprises for us in a form of new maps and navigation software (based on C3 tech and other acquisitions). This will make the ecosystem accomplished and ready for the fight.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i will comment..

apple is a small ant compared to real companies that don't do toys, like saudi aranco.

lol

apple is doomed.

What? What does Saudi Aramco's size have to do with Apple's doom? You make zero sense. Besides, what do you know about Saudi Aramco? First of all, the Saudi government formed Aramco by nationalizing western oil operations in Saudi Arabia. This hardly the kind of thing that bears any indication on the size or success of Apple. You might as well argue that Apple is doomed because the moon is bigger than the state of California......so what.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Actually this could be not too far stretched. Sooner or later there will be no more room for Innovation in smartphone industry and they will inevitably become commodity products.

In the long run whoever has a better ecosystem, cloud services, navigation, and search will win the war. I am afraid Google is better positioned so far. Not sure about Microsoft and Apple.

Like I said in one of the recent threads, Apples must acquire Wolfram to build a new kind of search engine, a really intelligent one, so that iOS users would not ever feel need googling anymore and bringing revenues to one of the primary competitors.

I also think it was a mistake they let Yelp to go IPO. Now it is too expensive as a strategic acquisition target.

I hope Apple is preparing some surprises for us in a form of new maps and navigation software (based on C3 tech and other acquisitions). This will make the ecosystem accomplished and ready for the fight.

I think Apple has done the right thing by not buying Wolfram or Yelp. Those businesses are better off independent and Apple can use them all the same as long as Wolfram and Yelp stay independent. Apple usually buys things that are worth keeping to themselves. Yelp and Wolfram actually benefit from having users outside the iOS ecosystem.

I agree 100% with the mapping technology. My guess is that there are really big changes in the works for 2013. We will see significant hardware changes in 2012 and another round of fantastic software development in 2013.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

And one more thing.... you are way underestimating how much more innovation is left in phones, tablets, and PCs. The future is the integration of hardware and software that make software development fast and easy. Mac OSX and iOS have a lot of momentum and could crush the other platforms. It will take Microsoft 3 years before it realizes it can't compete in the mobile market without integrating hardware and software. Performance is no longer about clock speed or RAM. It's all about performance and you can't get performance without vertically integrating hardware and software.

Google's problem is that they don't have a mature software platform for desktops. The integration between desktop and mobile is upon us and Google has no solution. In 10 years from now when all the software everyone cares about has been written in objective C, everyone will wonder why anyone ever believed that Google was a threat to Apple.

Microsoft is the real threat. However, you can't come to the table 5 years late with a non-optimized system and expect to win this time. Unlike the 80s, the manufacturing supply chain is an asset, not a hindrance to Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Microsoft makes money selling software and affiliated services. Apple makes money selling real products copied with software and affiliated services.

What Apple is doing is devaluing the price of software, selling operating systems and applications at sharply reduced prices or giving it out for free. This seriously undermines the price Microsoft can charge for software and undermines its ability to charge inflated prices for its core products.

Watch Microsoft?s profits evaporate over time as people refuse to pay the price Microsoft charges.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That statement sounds like BS based on nothing but first principles.

The average PC life-cycle is somewhere between 3 and 4 years. That would make the average Mac life-cycle between 9 and 12 years.

3 years average PC life cycle was for desktops in corporate America in the early 2000s. With PC laptops, and especially netbooks, it is less than 18 months.

This in itself is probably a reason for increasing Mac sales.

I just want to point out that I have used, and still do, PCs since 1986 and Windows actively since 3.0. I've always had desktops (Olivetti in 1986 and Alienware today) along with Laptops (Toshiba in 1990 and HP today) for a couple of decades. On average I have had them less than 2 years. Never owned a netbook.

I bought my first Mac in January 2008. That was an IMac which is still in daily use.

This lengthy side comment was only to point out that I am not an Apple fanboi :-)
  • Reply 52 of 64
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

the average PC life lasts until the warranty expires. My Mac is 6.5 years old and will probably be replaced this year if a new iMac comes out.

My G4 iMac lasted 9 years of pretty much daily use. I had to replace the power supply after 7 years, but when the backlight to the monitor failed I reluctantly said goodbye to an old friend.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    melevmelev Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Now you're left with comparing apple with an company that makes nothing, was fortunate enough by luck of geography to have a product that is high in demand worldwide. They don't have to innovate or even think much about it! Just drill baby drill!!

Sorry, but my company working on several projects for Saudi Aranco, and I think that comment is derogatory with respect to work both as my company Aranco did, and I assure you worked hard and without rest in some cases to start this damn refineries.

perhaps are not as pretty as an iPhone, but only the design phase can take more than 2 years, we have to order equipment a year before beginning construction to be ready at that time, thus not allowing any fault, if fault with a size or material can not download an update. Then we must build a fucking city of pipes and cables, to test, fix the little mistakes there and pull it out, and not started as an iPhone, this process takes days or weeks. Everything for your car has fuel or Apple has plastic to make our devices.

Perhaps not play music, but without us your (and my) iPod would be of brass.

LOL a real steampunk Ipod
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vonheim View Post

3 years average PC life cycle was for desktops in corporate America in the early 2000s. With PC laptops, and especially netbooks, it is less than 18 months.

That may very well be true. In these reports "life cycle" refers to how long a user has the device for, not how long until it "dies". That's not really what I was thinking when I first read them.

The average "life cycle" for a car might be 5 years. That doesn't mean we have a bunch of 5 year old cars on the scrap heap, but that a persons lifestyle changes enough over that period (e.g. they move house, the get a better job,they have kids etc) that warrant a new car purchase.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Next up, Amazon.

Can't wait for their earnings announcement...

I hadn't consider that. That will be interesting to see.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Next up, Amazon.

Can't wait for their earnings announcement...

Not soon enough. My puts expire tomorrow and investors haven't come to their senses yet. 96 times earnings is completely absurd. I expect AMZN to fall - and fall hard sometime soon, but I should have given it a couple more months - I guess there are too many people with rose colored glasses.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Graphphphy ?
  • Reply 58 of 64
    [/QUOTE]

The last Dell I ever bought was a huge tower during the G4 iMac days. It blue-screen'd and had issues before I even connected it to the Internet. What a piece of junk. I used the punch it with my fist hard enough to knock the entire monster tower OFF the large PC-subwoofer it sat on. JUNK!

18 months later I sold it at a big loss to get rid of it, bought a G4 iBook, and never looked back. Maybe 2005/2006 timeframe. It lasted for years, and I sold it in 2009 I think for $500. 4 years later it's worth the entry price of a Windows machine. That's about right.

An Aluminum MacBook from 2009 we have now that, due to the Aluminum still looks brand new. A recent $27 4GB RAM upgrade eases the tabbed-browsing performance issue it had.

Our 27" iMac late 2009 should last a LONG time.

We haven't looked back.

I SOOOOO regret not getting that gorgeous half-dome iMac. I'm sure I'd have kept it going JUST for the look. I used to browse Craigslist for them. 20".

Boy did I want that. The all aluminum is "better" in many ways than the half-dome, but the half-dome has SOMEthing that will never go away.

Sighghghgh

One last thing: One thing STOPing us from getting an iPad is that it will largely invalidate our $2600 iMac. I can't do that to the poor (giant) thing.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Graphphphy ?

Huh? Raffi?

"Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, iPhone."

Coincidentally, that's my iPhone ringtone–I edited Bananaphone, and it actually sounds pretty good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil's iPhone ringtone, which will eventually be heard if he ever gets service with the device

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, iPhone.

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, iPhooooone!

It's the best! Beats the rest!

Cellular, modular, interactivodular!

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, iPhone.

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, iPhooooone!

It ain't a phony! My cellular, iPhooooone~

I did that in aught seven, I think. Back when the pretenders were first showing up.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Melev View Post

Sorry, but my company working on several projects for Saudi Aranco, and I think that comment is derogatory with respect to work both as my company Aranco did, and I assure you worked hard and without rest in some cases to start this damn refineries.

perhaps are not as pretty as an iPhone, but only the design phase can take more than 2 years, we have to order equipment a year before beginning construction to be ready at that time, thus not allowing any fault, if fault with a size or material can not download an update. Then we must build a fucking city of pipes and cables, to test, fix the little mistakes there and pull it out, and not started as an iPhone, this process takes days or weeks. Everything for your car has fuel or Apple has plastic to make our devices.

Perhaps not play music, but without us your (and my) iPod would be of brass.

LOL a real steampunk Ipod

Lets see, Your company started out as aramco, as in arabian/american oil company. Those cities of pipes and cables were built on the backs of american technology. Sorry, but the fact remains, were it not for oil, saudi arabia would still be in the business of herding goats.