Microsoft's Windows falls 6% on slow PC sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

"The company posted a net profit of $6.62 billion or 78 cents per share for its fiscal second quarter, compared to the previous year's $6.63 billion or 77 cents per share."

This is not bad at all. Despite slow PC sales, Microsoft is still very profitable. Windows Phone will just add to more profits in 2012. All the negative spin on this forum will not change this fact.

Yes Slapppy, MSFT is doing wonderful. It's poor doomed AAPL that should be ashamed of themselves, with only a paltry $395 billion market cap, zero long term debt and $81 billion in cash (and securities) in the bank to spare. MSFT puts then to shame with their $245 billion market cap, and $12 billion (and counting) in long term debt. But MSFT has that declining year-over-year quarterly net earnings of 6.62 billion to be proud of. What's that, AAPL Q4 earnings were also 6.62 billion ($7.05 EPS) - and increasing (Q3 2010 = 4.31 billion). Huh, must he a market hiccup - a five year trend hiccup.

I know, I know, MSFT is a great prospect, even though people just don't get some of their wonderful products like Bing, which is hemorrhaging 1 billion dollars per year, and Windows sales are slowing (although Mac OS X sales are accelerating ... hmmm ... must be another market 'hiccup'). You just wait, when that shiny new Windows mobile OS hits the shelves (cuz' it won't be a flop like Mobile 7), iOS will be left by the wayside and Apple may as well just close up shop, sell off their assets and hand out the proceeds to the shareholders - just like Mike Dell said that should've years ago.

Seriously though, the interesting factoid from the MSFT earnings transcript is the fact that when they break it down by operating division, it shows strength in their server business, and that the Windows division is pulling them down with (according to Peter Klein @ MSFT) "particular softness in the consumer segment".
  • Reply 62 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

The last Dell I ever bought was a huge tower during the G4 iMac days. It blue-screen'd and had issues before I even connected it to the Internet. What a piece of junk. I used the punch it with my fist hard enough to knock the entire monster tower OFF the large PC-subwoofer it sat on. JUNK!

18 months later I sold it at a big loss to get rid of it, bought a G4 iBook, and never looked back. Maybe 2005/2006 timeframe. It lasted for years, and I sold it in 2009 I think for $500. 4 years later it's worth the entry price of a Windows machine. That's about right.

An Aluminum MacBook from 2009 we have now that, due to the Aluminum still looks brand new. A recent $27 4GB RAM upgrade eases the tabbed-browsing performance issue it had.

Our 27" iMac late 2009 should last a LONG time.

We haven't looked back.

I SOOOOO regret not getting that gorgeous half-dome iMac. I'm sure I'd have kept it going JUST for the look. I used to browse Craigslist for them. 20".

Boy did I want that. The all aluminum is "better" in many ways than the half-dome, but the half-dome has SOMEthing that will never go away.

Sighghghgh

One last thing: One thing STOPing us from getting an iPad is that it will largely invalidate our $2600 iMac. I can't do that to the poor (giant) thing.

hehehe nice story.

yes, you are so right about the iPad. My iPad has rendered most of my computer use to very little just because of the convenience and portableness of it it's always there in front of me when I need it instead of walking to a Desktop or opening up a laptop to use.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    melevmelev Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Lets see, Your company started out as aramco, as in arabian/american oil company. Those cities of pipes and cables were built on the backs of american technology. Sorry, but the fact remains, were it not for oil, saudi arabia would still be in the business of herding goats.

True, but that does not make the work done by my company or Aramco less valid than design an iPod and send the plans for the Chinese who assembled them. It would be stupid not to exploit a resource you have at your feet. If Apple had a "touchscreens mine" in the front garden of his home, I do not think they would say: "We have a resource from which to take a lot out here, not use it and create a firm goat cheese instead of a technological devices company. "

And I'm talking petrochemical refining, not extraction. I know lots of refineries that are built in places where there is not a drop of oil, but as in major crossing points of distribution routes.

Also part of the technology belongs to my company, because we have a department of research, we are not only a "drawers of valves" designed by others. An we do not steal other licenses. I do not want to look at anyone... cough cough! ... Pemex ... cough cough!

And sorry for the offtopic, but I thought I should get you out of your mistake.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    Microsoft has extended their mass advertising on third world countries making it obvious they're looking for a good boost from it.