Apple iOS, Google Android feared to be hitting middle age as five year old platforms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Hm.....I just wonder if I could make any money writing crap like this.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Duh! The other numbers started dropping as ios and android came into the picture. If a much better OS/phone came out this year that made iOS and android look terribly outdated and gathered market share- then yes, iOS and android would suffer. But alas- as of now, that isn't the case. So pick your one of two choices- I picked mine.

The new Win Phone just came on the scene... maybe it's the Android / iOS killer...
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Finally, a reason to laugh out loud
  • Reply 24 of 47
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    The article is retarded. Unix is +40 years old, sure it has changed substantially and so will iOS in its lifetime.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    The really depressing thing is that this idiot can get business people to listen to this quarter-witted crap.

Don't be depressed.

1) Enjoy the superiority of Apple products, as a consumer.

2) Enjoy the returns of Apple as an investor. Eventually, Apple will have to deploy their historic, epic cash hoard for stock repurchases, and the lower the ill-informed keep the stock price, the more Apple will be able to repurchase. As Buffett has said, for the long-term purchaser of hamburgers, there's nothing better than low hamburger prices.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Gotta love how this article brings both android and iphone fans together
  • Reply 27 of 47
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    This is very strange. A short time back I had a conversation that this article reminds me of. We were discussing the vacuum left by the passing of Steve Jobs and the fallout his absence (and more particularly his RDF) - will inevitably generate with respect to Apple and its ability to continue as the technology juggernaut it has become.

Two points raised during that conversation I felt at that time were rather silly notions:

1) that another reality distortion field would appear (probably anti-Apple in nature) that would attempt to spin reality its own way - probably in a way antithetical to that which would have occurred by Job's RDF. Someone postulated that if it did occur, it would probably be a lame attempt unworthy of true consideration as a RDF-worthy event.

2) that the cellular phone companies would try to start re-asserting the former reach of their grasp before Jobs introduced the iPhone to them and started dictating terms. Of course, a certain dynamic tension can always be assumed to exist in the ebb and flow of spheres of influence, but the line in the sand that Jobs managed to hold was thought to be particularly assailable. It was postulated during that conversation that we, as public consumers, were probably benefitted in many ways we will never know by instances where Jobs would pick up the phone and place a call to the CEO from another company, telling them that if they did a particular course of action, Jobs would respond by "fill in the blank with a result the CEO would not want."

Item one above (as a mini-prophetic fulfillment) seems validated to a minor degree by the very AI article that prompted this particular thread. This does indeed appear to be an amateur RDF attempt on someone's part to try to begin a counter-spin wavefront to the Jobsian RDF. It is doubtful that any serious researcher would predicate a trend (mega- or otherwise) on such scanty data.

Item two above seems likewise validated by an earlier thread on another AI subject recently reporting that AT&T would be raising their data rates. The funny part was that during the conversation I am alluding to, it was suggested by somebody that were such a thing to happen, an app would somehow appear for all iOS devices whereby your data usage would be internally monitored and then, at the conclusion of your billing cycle, a dummy download from a server site set up to transmit high datastreams would be completed to your iOS device calculated to use up the majority of data capacity you had already paid for (and probably would never use under ordinary use that billing cycle). As a dummy file, it would be easily discardable or would dissolve upon receipt.

Again, another poster in that thread already alluded to the idea of downloading a bunch of movies and whatever at the end of the month, although his suggestion was to do the download yourself without the benefit of an app.

I no longer feel either of these notions are silly.

Strange times we are in ... indeed. \
  • Reply 28 of 47
    I think these analysts are right. An OS does appear to have a 10 year (give or take) cycle. IF it isn't radically updated from time to time. That's the biggest issue with RIM etc. They are basically the same as they were 10 years ago. iOS has changed a lot since year 1. So much so that it could be seen as a totally different OS, thus restarting the clock. What iOS 10 looks like will probably be vastly different as iOS 5, restarting the clock again.

They gloss over that very vital detail with their sage comments.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

The article is retarded.

The National Association of Retarded Peoples has asked that you don't insult them by associating them with something so dumb.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Ha Ha what a great laugh today. Total bollocks.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think these analysts are right. An OS does appear to have a 10 year (give or take) cycle. IF it isn't radically updated from time to time. That's the biggest issue with RIM etc. They are basically the same as they were 10 years ago. iOS has changed a lot since year 1. So much so that it could be seen as a totally different OS, thus restarting the clock. What iOS 10 looks like will probably be vastly different as iOS 5, restarting the clock again.

They gloss over that very vital detail with their sage comments.

Bingo. These so-called analysts are so far up their own *** they spout **** all the time.

It takes into zero account the fact that iOS 5 is so radically advanced from iOS 3, or even iOS 3 from the very first iPhone.

Like I said, good for a laugh, don't waste any more of your time with this kind of garbage analysts.

I appreciate AppleInsider posting it though, to show how clueless some people are which = opportunity for those who are passionate about Apple and iOS.

I mean, I understand if the layperson thinks this, because, heck, if you ask me to build a birdhouse or fix a carburettor (spelling?) I would have no clue.

But for "analysts" and "experts", particularly from the defunct and corrupt financial industry, well, I want minimal contact with their nonsense.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    V
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

This is very strange. A short time back I had a conversation that this article reminds me of. We were discussing the vacuum left by the passing of Steve Jobs and the fallout his absence (and more particularly his RDF) - will inevitably generate with respect to Apple and its ability to continue as the technology juggernaut it has become.

Two points raised during that conversation I felt at that time were rather silly notions:

1) that another reality distortion field would appear (probably anti-Apple in nature) that would attempt to spin reality its own way - probably in a way antithetical to that which would have occurred by Job's RDF. Someone postulated that if it did occur, it would probably be a lame attempt unworthy of true consideration as a RDF-worthy event.

2) that the cellular phone companies would try to start re-asserting the former reach of their grasp before Jobs introduced the iPhone to them and started dictating terms. Of course, a certain dynamic tension can always be assumed to exist in the ebb and flow of spheres of influence, but the line in the sand that Jobs managed to hold was thought to be particularly assailable. It was postulated during that conversation that we, as public consumers, were probably benefitted in many ways we will never know by instances where Jobs would pick up the phone and place a call to the CEO from another company, telling them that if they did a particular course of action, Jobs would respond by "fill in the blank with a result the CEO would not want."

Item one above (as a mini-prophetic fulfillment) seems validated to a minor degree by the very AI article that prompted this particular thread. This does indeed appear to be an amateur RDF attempt on someone's part to try to begin a counter-spin wavefront to the Jobsian RDF. It is doubtful that any serious researcher would predicate a trend (mega- or otherwise) on such scanty data.

Item two above seems likewise validated by an earlier thread on another AI subject recently reporting that AT&T would be raising their data rates. The funny part was that during the conversation I am alluding to, it was suggested by somebody that were such a thing to happen, an app would somehow appear for all iOS devices whereby your data usage would be internally monitored and then, at the conclusion of your billing cycle, a dummy download from a server site set up to transmit high datastreams would be completed to your iOS device calculated to use up the majority of data capacity you had already paid for (and probably would never use under ordinary use that billing cycle). As a dummy file, it would be easily discardable or would dissolve upon receipt.

Again, another poster in that thread already alluded to the idea of downloading a bunch of movies and whatever at the end of the month, although his suggestion was to do the download yourself without the benefit of an app.

I no longer feel either of these notions are silly.

Strange times we are in ... indeed. \

I may be dense... But this is gibberish!
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatbosan View Post

Hm.....I just wonder if I could make any money writing crap like this.

Easier way:

1. Become a banker

2. Give out loans like there's no tomorrow

3. ???

4. PROFIT

But don't forget Number:

5. See entire countries collapse

• Reply 34 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Easier way:

1. Become a banker

2. Give out loans like there's no tomorrow

3. ???

4. PROFIT

But don't forget Number:

5. See entire countries collapse

3 was paying politicians.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Software is not a biological organism, it does not suffer effects of ageing. It may become superseded though.

I think smartphones are headed in the direction of getting more and more of the capabilities of computers, and as Apple has used a full computer OS on their phone, they should be able to adapt without having to start a new platform from scratch.

What's more, as a computer maker, they often have code ready to port from the Mac as soon as the phone is fast enough. Code that has already been through several iterations, and already paid for by Mac sales.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

V

I may be dense... But this is gibberish!

Sorry - please accept my apology for the confusion. English is a second language for me. I do not mean to be so dense. Thank you for trying to read my post, and for your constructive remark.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Wow... To think that people get paid to write this kind of drivel...
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

Sorry - please accept my apology for the confusion. English is a second language for me. I do not mean to be so dense. Thank you for trying to read my post, and for your constructive remark.

I am sorry if I offended you.

I went back and re-read your post... and I still don't understand.

Further, if english is a second language for you, it is difficult for me to understand how you come up with the particular complex construction and phrasing.

Consider the following from your post:

Quote:

What does that mean?

What are you trying to say?

Can you phrase it in a way that is easier to understand?

Occam's Razor!

• Reply 39 of 47
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the 4 "10 year old" mobile os's started their decline as soon as iOS and Android were released.

that's THE ONLY THING that the data on this chart says...

and btw, don't DESATURATE the colors on a chart where color is the only way to distinguish different data sets. idiots.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    This is really fun, watching how educated people who understand nothing underlying the thing they are studying, look at some historic charts, use some general business analysis concepts, and think they understand.

They behave exactly like a Cargo Cult tribe. It's not that they are stupid, exactly, it's that they are so utterly clueless they don't even realize how clueless they are.