RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Amateur hour over

Well, co-amateur hour is over, at least.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Amateur hour over, indeed!

/

/

/

say it with me, chillun'
  • Reply 23 of 71
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Just in the nick of time. The boys hopped on their ponies and galloped out of Dodge before the next quarterly results are posted in March. That sounds like a long time away, but they'll need a good head start before the townsfolk find out and the lynch mob takes after them.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This company will be sold off and parted out.

This is where Bain Capital comes in.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Another Canadian start-up , NOT really designed for staying as a business for a long time...just wanting and waiting to be bought out! Nortel all over AGAIN!
  • Reply 26 of 71
    New suits will have to have a terrific game plan to prevent Rim from going down.

My question is.........Do they have something in mind or are they just taking the position because of shareholder pressure. Time is short and Rim subscribers are already jumping ship.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Why does this remind me of that song "Puppet on a String"?

That's all you are going to get with someone like Heins being promoted from within and J-Mike still owning over 10% of the company while also still being involved.

It's cosmetic.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Another Canadian start-up , NOT really designed for staying as a business for a long time...just wanting and waiting to be bought out! Nortel all over AGAIN!

You don't know what you are talking about. This is nothing like Nortel and not all "Canadian startups" are like this by any means. You are just spouting BS because you probably were stupid enough to invest in Nortel.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

New suits will have to have a terrific game plan to prevent Rim from going down.

My question is.........Do they have something in mind or are they just taking the position because of shareholder pressure. Time is short and Rim subscribers are already jumping ship.

If you have any shares in RIM you would have been wise to sell them long long ago. If you are a RIM subscriber you should have been looking for a new phone a long time ago also.

The really significant thing about this announcement is it's complete incompetence. It's just more bad news in that regard.

You don't replace your CEOs without having an alternate plan and announcing that plan at the time they leave. The fact that they came out and said they are tossing out the old CEOs and replacing them with a new one and that this new CEO says that he is (paraphrased) "staying the course" should be alarming to anyone who actually has money invested.

Lets see .. they have already given up on tablets. They have also admitted several times that little plastic keys are on the way out and the future is with touch screen technology. They have had zero success with that however and their first attempt (the Storm), was laughed out of the market. They are currently experimenting with three different devices, two of which they quit development on two or three weeks ago.

They are now literally putting all their eggs into one basket. The "London" device, which is their second attempt at a touch screen phone to compete with iPhone. It *might* be out later this year. But unless "London" is so good that it makes Android or iPhone alternatives look bad, it's going to fail also.

Any investor who still has money in this company in the hopes that this London thing will be so good that it wows the market and converts people from iPhone to Blackberry, is probably the same kind of person who bets on hundred-to-one longshots at the racetrack. In other words, an idiot.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Heins - did admit that the company had faced some "inevitable growing pains" and asserted his belief that RIM is stronger as a result.

"inevitable growing pains" doesn't he mean dying pains? Rim is not growing, in fact the reverse and this shrub has no clue how to reverse it, short of trying to trying to copy Apple, without the mindset required to do that. Just put the company down and save the share holder's money, al the new attempted Apple cloned devices wil fail. Give it up the war was lost over 2 years ago. Apple won!
  • Reply 31 of 71
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    They should have ditched their CEO's in 2008 when it was clear they weren't able to emotionally let go of the traditional Blackberry and move to an entirely new platform.

All a new CEO can do at this point is sell the company or guide them gently in to bankruptcy.

Lazaridis will be Chair of its new Innovation Committee?? The man had 5 years to innovate since the iPhone was launched and failed at every turn. Is he really RIM's best choice for that position?
  • Reply 32 of 71
  • Reply 33 of 71
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    The Beiber and the banker.

This should be good.....
  • Reply 34 of 71
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Anyone else see a problem with this? Chair the Innovation committee? This is the same guy that couldn't lead his company out of a wet paper bag, with a map and a flashlight, yet he's going to lead the "innovation committee"? Yeah, okay. Might want to sell any remaining stock in RIM now!

Who in the world would have stock in RIM at this stage? Anyone still holding stock after today, I would not pity one iota.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This company will be sold off and parted out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

If this was a US company I imagine it would have been ripped to shreds and fed to the dogs long ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

The Beiber and the banker.

This should be good.....

As always, it would all be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Who didn't see this coming? Please the writing was in the wall. RIM is a one hit wonder.

This year Apple will annialate their competition. iPad 3, iPhone 5 and their tvs will send their bank account North of the $100 billion mark.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Hope they are able to pull things round at RIM. I think it's important for the industry that competition remains and that Blackberry implement a succesful QNX operating system. Choice is good.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    They also have TWO COOs? Is every position duplicated? Can't they just backup using Time Machine
  • Reply 38 of 71
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'll reiterate what I think. This is a clear case of fraudulence, plain and simple. "Chair of Innovation something something". Not just a joke, a complete fraud. BlackBerry 7 to BlackBerry 10 (whatever the heck that is) taking one WHOLE year? Who do they think will buy it then, if things are so sucky now? PlayBook 2? Really? Sure, if you had other parts of the business doing well, you could explore this market, but the prognosis is clearly not good.

This is criminal conduct. Sad that it would take a whole bunch of lawsuits, laywers and what not to prove this point "in the law".

It's criminal behaviour, plain and simple, by all involved. The Board has just shuffled themselves around to make it look like they're making a difference. Stymiest has been on the board since 2007. What has she done, exactly? That's not "new to the board", that's been sitting on the board watching everything progressively go down the drain for at least a good four years.

If I was a Canadian citizen I would be asking my congressperson to initiate criminal investigations of corporate fraud and misconduct, or contact the police. This is white-collar crime, plain and simple. They should go to jail.

What has Thorsten done so far as well? Clearly just the patsy, only thing he's in on it with a suitable golden parachute.

People, this is the big corporate and banking world that is sucking the life out of healthy economies. Companies like these are not fixing any problems, they ARE the problem. When you look at your dwindling paycheck in terms of real value, and unemployment of otherwise talented and capable people, RIM sticks out as a sore thumb of why the middle class in most Western countries is getting squeezed out of existence.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QUFwhpcrCTw

Well, well... what a small world we live in!

Back in Dec. I posted this here at AI:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=46

Yup... one of the guys I had the displeasure to meet a couple years back just took over the reigns at RIM... and YES most definitely he is a douche of the most delusional BS'ing kind.

In this video... I rest my case!

Going back to the meeting I attended: apart from the fact that he was thoroughly laughing off Apple and the iPhone's future, in one of those thoroughly maddening "chuckle, chuckle, they don't have a chance" ways that you just wanna bust him one in the chops... due to his "connections", every other bozo in the meeting was kissing his proverbial squeaky little a**. I still can't bring myself to do that, I guess that's why I'm still a "small-business" man (sigh).

The particular attendees to this meeting will go unmentioned... but now I know which companies will probably waste a ton of money buying out RIM: Siemens & Deutsche Telekom. Siemens as a high-tech back-end for DT, and their major contacts in Asia, China, and the money guys all tied up in the UAE (RIM's true and loyal customer base)... well I can see this working. However... not in any way shape or form that Herr Heins is suggesting in his interview. In fact... that is one sorry a** smoke-screen if you ask me!

Oh! I forget: no one will ask me because I'm a) too small, b) not properly "connected", and c) I prefer Apple products and software. Bad, Bad.... "F" it... GOOD THING and I'm enjoying my ride too much to ever bend over and kiss "it"... or take "it"!

PS. I really wanna see him play hockey with the puck-head employees… that might be good entertainment!
  • Reply 40 of 71
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Innovation by committee???

Let's all move along folks. Show's over. Nothing left to see.