Dutch court rules Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 doesn't infringe on Apple's designs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

As mentioned before, the dutch case was solely based on the community design. Heck, the ipad doesn't even look like the community design

Wow thats looks like my picture frame in my house! Will Apple now sue me over this?? hahaha
  • Reply 82 of 120
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's a losing battle for Apple. The best thing that Apple needs to do is sign licensing agreements with Google. Apple i products should begin transitioning to Android. The overwhelming momentum of Android will solidify its top place in the market. Apple needs to adopt and get on board or get lost the Android tidal wave. There really is no denying the future of iOS.

Ah, Slapppy! You're so amusing! You're the 'Bitch-Stewie' of the Apple Insider community forums.

I will pay you fifty bucks if you allow my university to medically study you. This is a genuine offer. Please PM me if you're interested.

Do your copy-and-paste Android rants ever take into consideration that despite the results of many of these court cases, and all of the free advertising that they provide, these Samsung Tablets are still barely selling?

The day after a court lifted the ban on them being sold in Australia, despite all the gloating posts of Android fans on the Sydney Morning Herald website forums saying they would now purchase them, one major electronics retailer has since reported selling fifteen.

FIFTEEN.

If that isn't the tablet version of premature ejaculation, then I don't know what is.

Android Dominance: All your warehouses belong to us.
  • Reply 83 of 120
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Are you on something? Being sarcastic? Or just idiotically trolling? I certainly can't see how anyone can take you seriously.

No. For one Apple is one company selling iOS products, it may look successful comparing Apple to lets say Samsung or HTC. You need to look at the overall big picture. Android is one OS. Compare that number to iOS and you can see that the numbers are overwhelming iOS quickly. Playing with numbers doesn't erase the fact that iOS is dying a slow death and Android has quickly become the dominant platform.
  • Reply 84 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So Apple could easily sue again for that and win, is what you're saying?

No, you are saying that...I am making no such claims. Apple is free to try that approach if they want.
  • Reply 85 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

IIRC, Sony used a proprietary digital music format in its early portable players. IMO, that is what killed them in that market. They had it sewn up with the Walkman, and they blew it with their early digital players.

MiniDisk too - a good format, but limited to Sony, and therefore less appealing commercially. Sony also insisted on using a proprietary memory card format, which was distasteful to many people.

What side of the BluRay/HD DVD war was Sony on? I've not paid much attention to Sony since the late 1990's.

AAC is also a proprietary format, just as is ATRAC. The format alone wasn't what took out Sony, at least not by itself. ATRAC is actually a great codec. It is unfortunate that Sony didn't open it up for general use.

Sony waited too long to get their players on the market, after the iPod's march to dominance had already begun. Sony felt their Minidisc (spelled with a "c") was a better format. In some ways it was, but its storage and speed limitations were its weaknesses. Sony also added WAY TOO MUCH DRM nonsense to the Minidisc when they added the USB support. I used Minidisc for years, but finally relented. Again, the word proprietary is thrown around too much. Other companies had the rights to build Minidisc players/recorders as well as the discs themselves. Those little discs were tough as nails and came in SO MANY great designs. The storage limitation of HiMD and the transfer speeds (plus the DRM) were the killers.

BluRay belongs to Sony, and in a sense they "won". Of course it is rather pointless at this point. I won't repurchase movies in any format BluRay or digital to replace my DVD versions. I know many folks feel this way as well. Of course, I am sure there are many who feel just the opposite.
  • Reply 86 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Have you looked at all modern flat tv's?

Where's all the lawsuits over those.

Luckily Apple hasn't made a tv. Oh wait...

Get some popcorn. Its good to be a lawyer with Apple going thermonuclear.

Just read that Apple spent 100 mil on lawyer fees against HTC

I have to agree here. Computer monitors and TVs have the same general design and it is easy to confuse one for the other without really looking at the logo on the monitor/TV. Why is the iPad and iPhone physical construction so special?
  • Reply 87 of 120
    arasuarasu Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

Pay no attention to those 70 inch Samsung set's being delivered to the courthouse or all the sudden high end cars the officials are now driving.

Just kidding.

Too bad Apple couldn't find and hire the lawyer that is married to the judge.

• Reply 88 of 120
    Again, I must ask...why do people pay Slapppy any mind?

It's like picking on a quadraplegic "bully".
  • Reply 89 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Again, I must ask...why do people pay Slapppy any mind?

For every swing of the pendulum (Apple ][), there is an equal and opposite swing back (slapppy).
  • Reply 90 of 120
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's a losing battle for Apple. The best thing that Apple needs to do is sign licensing agreements with Google. Apple i products should begin transitioning to Android. The overwhelming momentum of Android will solidify its top place in the market. Apple needs to adopt and get on board or get lost the Android tidal wave. There really is no denying the future of iOS.

Your sense of humour is simply over the top, particularly when you contradict yourself. Thanks for the laughs.

• Reply 91 of 120
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I have to agree here. Computer monitors and TVs have the same general design and it is easy to confuse one for the other without really looking at the logo on the monitor/TV. Why is the iPad and iPhone physical construction so special?

Because Apple wants it so. The law is on their side wrt this, at least in general. If Apple could prove that Samsung (or anyone else) deliberately mimicked their products to create market confusion, it would be literally back to the drawing board for Samsung (or back to the CAD workstation). After all, in every case Apple has lost in the courts, it wasn't due to the judge saying it was ok for competing products to be indistinguisable.
  • Reply 92 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For every swing of the pendulum (Apple ][), there is an equal and opposite swing back (slapppy).

Indeed. lol.
  • Reply 93 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Because Apple wants it so. The law is on their side wrt this, at least in general. If Apple could prove that Samsung (or anyone else) deliberately mimicked their products to create market confusion, it would be literally back to the drawing board for Samsung (or back to the CAD workstation). After all, in every case Apple has lost in the courts, it wasn't due to the judge saying it was ok for competing products to be indistinguisable.

I don't know if the law really is on their side. If that was the case TV manufacturers would be suing each other with the same vigor, but I just don't see it happening. It does seem more like that this IS because Apple wants it to be so.

I simply don't buy the "create market confusion" concept. It seems more likely that Samsung decided they liked the looks figuring they would help sell their products, which really hasn't been the case. Apple has little to fear. Samsung CLEARLY labels their devices with the SAMSUNG logo on the front. I don't think there can be much confusion when the device has the company name on the front.

Samsung makes nice products, but people who buy these slate devices want an iOS device, not something running Android. I don't see that changing anytime in the near future unless Apple makes some serious errors.

I hate to say this, but Apple reminds me of the corporate version of George Lucas. BIG ideas, many good products, some bad products, and a galactic-sized ego. I just hope Apple never makes the iOS equivilant of the episodes I - III.
  • Reply 94 of 120
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

BluRay belongs to Sony, and in a sense they "won". Of course it is rather pointless at this point. I won't repurchase movies in any format BluRay or digital to replace my DVD versions. I know many folks feel this way as well. Of course, I am sure there are many who feel just the opposite.

Blu-ray does not belong to Sony, they are one of many interested parties in the technology behind Blu-ray
  • Reply 95 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Blu-ray does not belong to Sony, they are one of many interested parties in the technology behind Blu-ray

Okay, maybe I should have put "belongs" into quotes so as to avoid reader confusion.
  • Reply 96 of 120
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    it was a group effort to make blu-ray the winning standard.

I know you can play blu-ray movies on macs. Whats your favorite software?
  • Reply 97 of 120
    zebrazebra Posts: 35member
    The iPad and iPhone clearly created new categories that revolutionized the form factors and functions of the laptop and mobile phone. But once the innovator shows the way, the whole world creates look alikes with little protection for the creator.

Android software, new smart phones by the boat load and now iPad "laptops" with Wifi and touch screens have taken over the world. So every one wants in on the action by profiting off of Apple's genius -- by essentially stealing Apple's ideas.

By not protecting innovation, certain bad players like China and other countries with laws that fail to protect innovators are harming creativity for all of us.

This is why many of us respect Apple as the innovator where unscrupulous competitors quickly become scum to us when they ruthlessly rip off great ideas. We first saw this with Microsoft. Now we see it with Google and to an even greater extent in despicable places like China.

Granted that this is reality. But that doesn't mean that we have to like it.
  • Reply 98 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

This is why many of us respect Apple as the innovator where unscrupulous competitors quickly become scum to us when they ruthlessly rip off great ideas. We first saw this with Microsoft. Now we see it with Google and to an even greater extent in despicable places like China.

Err...we didn't think MS was evil because they were ripping off everyones ideas, we thought they were evil because of the ways they used their monopoly to kill off all competition. Which isn't the same as what Google is doing. I know this is the same as suicide here on AI but I see more of Apple doing similar MS shenanigans than Google, though admittedly, Google probably isn't in a position to do what Apple has.
  • Reply 99 of 120
    zebrazebra Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peppermonkey View Post

Err...we didn't think MS was evil because they were ripping off everyones ideas, we thought they were evil because of the ways they used their monopoly to kill off all competition. Which isn't the same as what Google is doing. I know this is the same as suicide here on AI but I see more of Apple doing similar MS shenanigans than Google, though admittedly, Google probably isn't in a position to do what Apple has.

Actually, didn't Microsoft steal Apple's windows scheme for which Microsoft paid $100 million and agreed to develop Microsoft Office for 5 years as part of the settlement? Microsoft also abused their monopoly power as you mentioned. And Google actively copied the iOS interface with Android. At least that's my perception (as well as Steve Job's).

To Google's credit, they have created more innovations than most of Apple's competitors.

Has Apple done everything right? No. But they are definitely the innovation leader. I don't think any reasonable person would argue that point.

All in all, Apple will continue to surpass the copiers. So I'm not worried.

The Android user experience doesn't come anywhere near as excellent as the iOS. And Apple's total experience control will continue to win the day. Apple's phenomenal growth and product demand continues to escalate and proves my point. It's been great show from an Apple user's perspective.
  • Reply 100 of 120
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Quote:

Okay, maybe I should have put "belongs" into quotes so as to avoid reader confusion.

Lamewig- no need to apologize. Sony invented Blu ray technology And also purchased and owns the patent to Take advantage of the highest end uv spectrum as of 1997. So, of course, that technology and the invention behind it belongs to them. So you're dead on by saying Blu-Ray belongs to Sony, as they single-handedly created Blu-Ray technology and own all patents pertaining to it.

Much more than just an "interested party" as jfanning incorrectly states. But in typical jfanning manner, he will speak as fact and say youre wrong, when in actuallity, he is.