Apple execs are 'actively discussing' what to do with nearly $100B cash hoard

Comments

• Reply 81 of 120
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    * Dividends: Fine, but doubtful.

* Patents: Continue acquiring 'em. Suck up every batch of high-quality patents you can buy without incurring the wrath of antitrust. Use 'em to destroy google! Lots of fun, but not sure it's very likely.

* Bandwidth: I've seen a couple mentions here of buying spectrum, but why bother with that when you can buy a fat pipe into tens of millions of homes - instantly!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=CMCSA+Key+Statistics

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but Comcast has a market cap of 70B, well within reach. And they own various content creators. Perfect.
  • Reply 82 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Get a clue before you comment. The workers may exist but not if the wages are comparable to those in China. The selling price of the USA made products would have to increase to cover the increased cost to manufacture.

People always say they are willing to pay more for products made here in USA but history proves that most won't which is why manufacturing went elsewhere to start with..

Well said.

What I find hilarious about those that pose the "Slave Labor" argument is that they are probably communicating that argument via a device made in China by the very "Slave Labor" they are opposed to. They would also be the first to complain about the higher cost of the device if it was made int he USA. If you don't like the practices of the company, don't buy it's products. Don't try to mask your guilt of buying your new iPhone/iPad/iMac by bashing the practises of the company, it only makes you a hypocrite.

Most people don't want to admit that for our society to exist in the form that it does, we NEED to have places like China producing our goods at a lower cost, because those same people that want the device at a lower cost would also refuse to work the job for the hours and pay necessary to produce those devices at a reasonable cost. North American workers want everything (Good Pay, Pensions, Benefits, etc), but want to give nothing in return.

Just because the work conditions in China don't match our view of normal does not make them "Slave Labor". Every society has a different standard by which it lives. Our way of life here in North America doesn't exist in many parts of the world, and just because we live that way doesn't make it the right/only way.
  • Reply 83 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulchsieh View Post

Seriously, Apple should buy RIM so that it can enter Enterprise market. RIM is valuable because of its private eMail exchange network and the security it provides.

Apple should launch an Enterprise Sales Division - selling business management solution using the same hardware - iPad, iPhone, and Mac.

RIM is very cheap now.

RIM is a sinking boat and Apple is making gains in the enterprise.
  • Reply 84 of 120
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I want to buy the Dell quote... then shut it down.

That and "ANALyst" or any dirivitave. Can't stand either in tech forums.

Annoying, isn't it. Just as writing Microsoft with a dollar sign. All getting long in the tooth.
  • Reply 85 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malachimanNZ View Post

I thought that had been ditched.

I think what we will see is what happened with iOS, Retina displays.

seems like it has been ditched indeed...sadly until get to retina we 'll have no luck, and our current laptops and huge 17" macs will read menu letters best be read at a 4 inch distance at 15-20 inches distance...
  • Reply 86 of 120
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    How about splitting stock and giving more folks the ability to buy into Apple. I don't understand the >$400 a share business and still no split.
  • Reply 87 of 120
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnsey_00 View Post

Build a Death Star!

Love it. Love everything about it.

Although, seriously, I think Apple should buy Nintendo. With Apple's hardware and ecosystem and Nintendo's software and francises, I think Apple could revolutionise the entertainment industry.
  • Reply 88 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

I think they will buy (or do a cash deal with) a provider like Direct TV. Like they did with AT&T for the iPhone. Apple will make the new iTV the standard for one provider, with lots of new services and ease of use. And acquire lots of content deals in the bargain.

Start with one provider and then expand. Sell Direct TV and move on to another. Today Direct TV has a market cap of $31B, and Apple could finance a good portion of the purchase price; it would probably take about 10% of their cash to get this rolling. Direct TV's PE is about 14, so Apple would be earning a lot more than they are currently with their cash holdings.

My thoughts, exactly-somewhat. I'm not so sure about the "sell DirecTV" part. I'm also not sure about the financials of such a deal, but it seems like a great solution to content problems. What is holding the AppleTV and other products back, somewhat, is the content distribution. The networks and content owners appear to have the upper hand and seem kinda flaky; I mean, look at all the Hulu shenanigans and Netflix arm-twisting.

If Apple buys DirecTV, they would first be careful that those companies uphold similar current DirecTV deals. The content providers, I assume, would try to avoid anti-competitive practices and litigation.

But, BUT, satellite dishes are hideous and really un-Apple
  • Reply 89 of 120
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It is my understanding that all revenue Apple makes overseas is taxed at the rate based on the country the revenue was made in. So they already paid their taxes. Because Apple does not want to pay more taxes on top of what was already paid by the country of origin, they are keeping that money overseas. I'd do the same thing.

So what problem do you have? Oh right... they should pay even more taxes simply to deposit it into a US bank and spend that money in the US right?

Because the amount they are paying in taxes already is not enough right?

What some people like you don't get, is when Apple brings the money home, it deducts the US tax from the taxes it pays overseas. More importantly, the US government pays billions of dollars a year in foreign operations to advance US corporate policy and protect companies interests like Apple. For instance, passing SOPA like legislation overseas. Accordingly, US companies like Apple should pay taxes on foreign income to fund those operations. Further, that is the price you pay for doing business overseas. The companies know about it before hand. THe last thing we need is to remove another incentive to actually build things in the US. Finally, generally it is not Apple paying the tax. It is one of Apple's many foreign subsidiaries.
  • Reply 90 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

how about bringing it home and paying their taxes

Please remember that Apple is not just an American company, but an International one. I'm sure they pay their taxes wherever their income is derived. Why would you want Apple punished (by paying additional taxes) by moving the income back to the US? Are you anti-Apple, or just anti-business? Anybody successful must be brought down.
  • Reply 91 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdub View Post

Ummm... move jobs back to the US and build the iPhone here?

The fact that they employ Sinclair Jungle-esque slave labor camps in China sickens me.

Maybe Apple should buy some island nation currently owned by a king. They would then own everything. They could make their own laws. They could build factories there and "employ" residents and immigrants alike.

Secrecy would be less of a hassle - no information would escape the island.

They would have no excess government regulation, because they would be the government. Their profits would never be taxed, for the same reason.

No news of working conditions could ever leave the island.

The downside is that they would have to pay for their own defense - but 100 Billion buys a lot of ships and fighter planes and soldiers.

They could increase productivity in their factories, and likely increase their profits.

One small end of the island, probably a segregated peninsula, could be used for public stuff. Apple hotels. Apple amusement parks a la Disneyland. A super-modern airport. Some residents would be allowed to live there too, and selected news reporters would get glowing interviews describing Apple Island as a workers paradise. It would be like Singapore, but made of gleaming curved glass.

The industrial sites could be camouflaged against satellite snooping. The ports could be guarded with warships. Nothing would come in or go out unless Apple knew about it.
  • Reply 92 of 120
    It may not be possible; but, it would be great for Apple if they could buy the company back and take it private. They need to be without the pressure to make money every quarter, as so often happens with public companies. They need to be able to continue to make insanely great products without monetary pressure. Remember, it was poor Macintosh sales and Steve job's push for more Macintosh advertising and research that lead traitor Sculley to fire the man who hired him.
  • Reply 93 of 120
    Sounds like the typical Republican answer. Anything for business.
  • Reply 94 of 120
    vspvsp Posts: 32member
    Money makes money. And that's what banks do if they are managed properly. The reason why banks got into trouble is that they do not behave like banks but got involved in Ponzi schemes. Banks all over the world are broken, taught by Wall Street on how to cheat customers and corrupt governments. Apple could buy a bank and slowly change the industry. There were many industries that people, at first, scoffed Apple for being involved. With the right people that Apple hires at the helm, now Apple is the golden standard in all these industries. For those who clamor for a dividend, Apple could invest its huge hoard of cash in its own bank and earn dividends for its shareholders every year or even quarters. How about it, Apple?
  • Reply 95 of 120
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Buy Adobe, Buy NVIDIA. Fix Final Cut Pro, release a new Xserve, Xraid and Final Cut Server and attack the enterprise.
  • Reply 96 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Buy Adobe.

And shut it down, sure.

Quote:

Buy NVIDIA.

No reason.

Quote:

Fix Final Cut Pro

Fix your perception, instead.
  • Reply 97 of 120
    Shutdown adobe? Thats crazy talk. They have a lot of great products and essentially own the creative market. They just need the right leadership. Apple can provide that.

Apple owning NVIDIA means they get the latest graphics cards, CUDA along with talent. Not to mention they can make sure they don't get stuck with integrated GPU's from Intel by fixing licensing deals.

As for Final Cut Pro. Don't be blind, pro's aren't happy with it. Many are switching to Premiere or AVID or holding on to FCP 7 as long as possible in hopes that Apple fixes FCP X.

Pro's like control FCP X is too automated. Its like programming with Visual Basic, where everything is hidden. Push button programming is not programming. Just like push button editing is not editing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And shut it down, sure.

No reason.

Fix your perception, instead.

• Reply 98 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Shutdown adobe? Thats crazy talk. They have a lot of great products and essentially own the creative market.

Let's just ignore how they GOT like that?

Flash is discontinued. Premier Pro is discontinued, some features wrapped into Final Cut. After Effects is discontinued, some features wrapped into Motion. Fireworks is discontinued. Dreamweaver and Contribute are? what, rebuilt into something useful? Photoshop and Illustrator are redone from the ground up. Audition is discontinued, some features wrapped into Logic. Encore, DVD Studio Pro, and WaveBurner are merged if not just discontinued entirely. Bridge is thrown out. InDesign is discontinued, but its soul is transferred into iBooks Author, Pages, Keynote, and the rest of the Apple applications that can be used for layout.

And PDF becomes ADF.

Quote:

Apple owning NVIDIA means they get the latest graphics cards, CUDA along with talent. Not to mention they can make sure they don't get stuck with integrated GPU's from Intel by fixing licensing deals.

I just don't see how Apple could get away with owning a GPU manufacturer that also supplies to the rest of the computer market.
  • Reply 99 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I agree with your points in general. There is an argument for declaring a dividend, however, in that there are several large mutual funds which are prohibited from owning AAPL, since they are chartered to only buy dividend-paying stocks. Since many non-dividend restricted funds already hold the maximum percentage of AAPL that they are allowed by their own diversification rules, the number of large buyers is limited. (If the $30/share bump in the after market holds, some funds may be required to sell some AAPL tomorrow.)

I am starting to be persuaded that the best source of potential increased buying pressure for AAPL, and thus increased share price, is among dividend stock funds.

Exactly. A dividend would bring in new investors, retain existing investors, and reduce trading volatility. All good (unless you're a day-trader perhaps). I am hoping that it won't be a one-time payout, huge though it could easily be.

Now someone will doubtless offer up a cockamamie argument for why this would cause the stock to go down, or that as stockholders they really don't want the money. This goes against reason on the first point, and on the second point, if you don't want your Apple dividend check you are probably irrational enough to want someone to take it off your hands. So today I am making an offer to all holders of AAPL who are repulsed by the thought of a receiving a dividend to relieve you of your pain. Sign your check over to me and I will happily pay your taxes on it. Deal?
  • Reply 100 of 120
    I don't see Apple killing a lot of Adobe's pro apps off, too much demand. They would lower prices though.

Apple does not manufacture GPU's it would be a tough case for DOJ not to allow a merger. Its a new market for them. There are other GPU manufactures aside from NVIDIA(2nd largest). AMD/ATI(3rd largest), Intel (largest), Via Technologies, S3 Graphics, Matrox etc... There's also no stopping others from jumping in like Texas Instruments, PNY etc...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's just ignore how they GOT like that?

Flash is discontinued. Premier Pro is discontinued, some features wrapped into Final Cut. After Effects is discontinued, some features wrapped into Motion. Fireworks is discontinued. Dreamweaver and Contribute are? what, rebuilt into something useful? Photoshop and Illustrator are redone from the ground up. Audition is discontinued, some features wrapped into Logic. Encore, DVD Studio Pro, and WaveBurner are merged if not just discontinued entirely. Bridge is thrown out. InDesign is discontinued, but its soul is transferred into iBooks Author, Pages, Keynote, and the rest of the Apple applications that can be used for layout.

And PDF becomes ADF.

I just don't see how Apple could get away with owning a GPU manufacturer that also supplies to the rest of the computer market.