New Motorola suit seeks injunction against Apple's iPhone 4S, iCloud

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Motorola Mobility has filed a new U.S. lawsuit, presumably with approval from Google, against Apple, seeking an injunction against the newly released iPhone 4S as well as the iCloud service.

The latest complaint was filed by Motorola against Apple in the Southern District of Florida. It cites six patents that were previously used in complaints against older Apple hardware and services.

The complaint was likely authorized by Google, Forian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted on Wednesday, as Google's proposed takeover of Motorola Mobility gives the search giant control over such actions. The merger agreement between the two companies states that Motorola cannot "assert any Intellectual Property Right in any new Action" without the consent of Google.

The six patents named in Motorola's latest suit against Apple are:

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 - "Receiver having concealed external antenna"

U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119 - "Multiple pager status synchronization system and method"

U.S. Patent No. 5,958,006 - "Method and apparatus for communicating summarized data"

U.S. Patent No. 6,101,531 - "System for communicating user-selected criteria filter prepared at wireless client to communication server for filtering data transferred from host to said wireless client"

U.S. Patent No. 6,008,737 - "Apparatus for controlling utilization of software added to a portable communication device"

U.S. Patent No. 6,377,161 - "Method and apparatus in a wireless messaging system for facilitating an exchange of address information"

The new lawsuit was filed because Motorola's previous complaint, which was first filed in 2010, is too far along for new patents to be added. A trial in that case is scheduled to be held this summer.

"It's certainly not the same kind of aggressive escalation as a lawsuit over a new set of patents would have been, but this shows that Motorola continues to fight hard," Mueller wrote. "The fact that Google signs off on an additional lawsuit at this stage -- as opposed to waiting for its purchase of MMI to close -- also says something."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator

Motorola Mobility has filed a new U.S. lawsuit, presumably with approval from Google, against Apple, seeking an injunction against the newly released iPhone 4S as well as the iCloud service.

The latest complaint was filed by Motorola against Apple in the Southern District of Florida. It cites six patents that were previously used in complaints against older Apple hardware and services.

The complaint was likely authorized by Google, Forian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted on Wednesday, as Google's proposed takeover of Motorola Mobility gives the search giant control over such actions. The merger agreement between the two companies states that Motorola cannot "assert any Intellectual Property Right in any new Action" without the consent of Google.

The six patents named in Motorola's latest suit against Apple are:

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987

U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119 - "Multiple pager status synchronization system and method"

U.S. Patent No. 5,958,006 - "Method and apparatus for communicating summarized data"

U.S. Patent No. 6,101,531 - "System for communicating user-selected criteria filter prepared at wireless client to communication server for filtering data transferred from host to said wireless client"

U.S. Patent No. 6,008,737 - "Apparatus for controlling utilization of software added to a portable communication device"

U.S. Patent No. 6,377,161 - "Method and apparatus in a wireless messaging system for facilitating an exchange of address information"

The new lawsuit was filed because Motorola's previous complaint, which was first filed in 2010, is too far along for new patents to be added. A trial in that case is scheduled to be held this summer.

"It's certainly not the same kind of aggressive escalation as a lawsuit over a new set of patents would have been, but this shows that Motorola continues to fight hard," Mueller wrote. "The fact that Google signs off on an additional lawsuit at this stage -- as opposed to waiting for its purchase of MMI to close -- also says something."

• Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola Mobility has filed a new U.S. lawsuit, presumably with approval from Google, against Apple, seeking an injunction against the newly released iPhone 4S as well as the iCloud service....

My question is ... why even say "Motorola"?

This is Google.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    (WARNING HUMOROUS CONTENT)

With a deeper Apple war chest and massive iOS uptake, Android plateauing or even *gasp* declining, Google is getting twitchy with the puppet strings - or perhaps the drones at 'Rola are trying desparately to please their new overlords.

Example the first: Larry Page & Andy Rubin: "Get us SanJay on the line!" SanJay:"This is Sanjay, what's up guys?" LP&AR:"Sanjay did you see the reports? We need to cut the legs out from under iOS immediately - line up your patents and commence firing" SanJay:"Right away dread lords! We shall prevail!"

Example the second: SanJay on phone to LP&AR: "See masters! We smote them with our mighty patents. Shall we smite them some more master? Please master?! We needs the Android Precious!"
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Can we be sure that this isnt another Failrian where he is completely wrong?

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/25/gala...nlock-lawsuit/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

(WARNING HUMOROUS CONTENT)

With a deeper Apple war chest and massive iOS uptake, Android plateauing or even *gasp* declining, Google is getting twitchy with the puppet strings - or perhaps the drones at 'Rola are trying desparately to please their new overlords.

Example the first: Larry Page & Andy Rubin: "Get us SanJay on the line!" SanJay:"This is Sanjay, what's up guys?" LP&AR:"Sanjay did you see the reports? We need to cut the legs out from under iOS immediately - line up your patents and commence firing" SanJay:"Right away dread lords! We shall prevail!"

Example the second: SanJay on phone to LP&AR: "See masters! We smote them with our mighty patents. Shall we smite them some more master? Please master?! We needs the Android Precious!"

Didn't even raise a smirk. #notfunny
  • Reply 5 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The fact that Google signs off on an additional lawsuit at this stage -- as opposed to waiting for its purchase of MMI to close -- also says something."

Yes, it says Google is desperate, as confirmed by the upcoming changes to its privacy policy.

Q: To be evil or not to be evil?

A: Google is evil.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    One seems to have been forgotten:-

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a "receiver having concealed external antenna"

So how come you can see the 'concealed' external antennas quite clearly on the iPhone 4S, {the metal bits between the black lines).
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

One seems to have been forgotten:-

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a "receiver having concealed external antenna"

So how come you can see the 'concealed' external antennas quite clearly on the iPhone 4S, {the metal bits between the black lines).

No one said Patent Attorneys don't hope Judges are technically stupid.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    This may finally get Apple to sue Google directly.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Google's timing here fits for pr reasons ,but i hope that icloud does not have issues here as i get the feeling apple is only just getting going in this area and will be powerful tool long term with connecting people to there content.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    It is my understanding their technology is the back of iCloud
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Rest assured that at least some of that 96,000,000,000 dollars will buy IP portfolios, did someone say Kodak and most of the known IP related to photography, digital and other wise, in the known universe?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

Google's timing here fits for pr reasons ,but i hope that icloud does not have issues here as i get the feeling apple is only just getting going in this area and will be powerful tool long term with connecting people to there content.

Google may have a large war chest, but Apple's is bigger.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    I don't get it......Eric Schmidt insists that Android was started long before the iPhone......yet, when Android was released after the iPhone, it almost looked identical....how is that possible?? Apple should sue Schmidt directly for violation of his fiduciary duties while on Apple's board of directors....I think Google may have anticipated this and demoted Schmidt and made Larry the CEO. I think Apple should go for the throat and bring Schmidt to his knees.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I don't get it......Eric Schmidt insists that Android was started long before the iPhone......yet, when Android was released after the iPhone, it almost looked identical....how is that possible??

Android existed in 2005, he's right about that.

It looked like a ripoff of BlackBerry OS back then. After the iPhone was launched, they redesigned it as a ripoff of iPhone OS.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

My question is ... why even say "Motorola"?

This is Google.

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google. No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google. No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.

Not exactly. Motorola signed an agreement that any action like this requires Googles permission
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google.

I don't think they have the money for that.

Quote:

No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.

Well, then the "presumably with approval from Google" line in the article needs to be explained more clearly or dropped entirely. If they have no legal relationship, there's no excuse for posting that.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I'm reminded of the Dish Network / TIVO battle. It went on for years before Dish/TIVO reached an agreement, mainly Dish paying TIVO a bunch of money. No matter who is violating who's patents the results will be the same. Money will exchange hands and the world will continue to turn. No iOS or Android device is going to be permanently banned. Everybody will wind up cross licensing and paying each other royalties. That's what happened in the Apple vs Windows litigation years ago and it will happen here too. But it is fun to watch the various skirmishes.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Now they are slavishly copying Apple's patent troll strategy, have they no shame? This is an outrage how dare they do this. Apple is right and just when they sue, and no one should be allowed to do the same.

Next Motorola/Google will steal Apple's idea of having employees, offices, and products/services to sell people. The nerve of some people.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think they have the money for that.

I think they can get it for really cheap! Free even!