Massive holiday quarter pushes iPhone sales past Android in US

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

so stand by your statements then! In context or out of context the statements contradict each other!

You don't understand what 'context' means. My statements do not contradict. I stand by both of them.

Quote:

Why does it bother you to be remined of what you wrote?

It only bothers me that you're frivoling around with this when you clearly understand exactly what I'm saying.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Horse beatings:

iPhone (1st gen)

iPhone 3G (2nd gen)

iPhone 3GS (3rd gen)

iPhone 4 (4th gen)

iPhone 4S (5th gen)

<Unnamed, 6th iteration of iPhone> (6th gen)

That is why he thinks it will not be the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't understand what 'context' means. My statements do not contradict. I stand by both of them.

It only bothers me that you're frivoling around with this when you clearly understand exactly what I'm saying.

Those are not contexxt staements and you know it....so you only believe Google crash and burn as long as we are talking about Android or depending on how the thread is going? Or do you stand behind this staement in the light of day?

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

Same goes for this statement. You only believe that statement if the thread is pro Google?

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."
  • Reply 44 of 73
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I even saw A Blackberry a few weeks back!

Perhaps in ten years, someone will make the amazing discovery of finding an actual Blackberry off the coast of Madagascar.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:

Those are not contexxt staements and you know it?

No, you don't understand what 'context' means.

I apologize for my tone earlier. You've shown you really don't get it, and that's not your fault. I'll explain, then.

The Oracle suit. That's against Google about Android. Exclusively. To my knowledge, it doesn't have anything to do with anything else of Google's. As far as I've seen, in that suit, Google has been shown to have ripped off code from Oracle, pure and simple. When I said 'collapse', in the context of the statement I made and within the topic of that thread, I was referring to Android, a wholly owned subsidiary of Google.

The future of computing OVERALL will be Google, Apple, and a third company. Google does some impressive stuff elsewhere. They have their mapping system, self-driving cars, translation, and a slew of software-only services. They also have a rudimentary computer OS and have dabbled in making their own hardware with phones and set top boxes. Not to mention search. I actually almost forgot that.

Should the Oracle and Apple lawsuits bring about the death of Android and tens of billions of dollars paid in damages, that will not end Google as a whole. At least, probably. I figure that, while what they'd be forced to pay would be devastating, it wouldn't make Google into an eMachines. What's left of Google after Android will still be a force in the future of the technology industry, alongside Apple who has, in the last three or so years, solidified their hold on the near future.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    I must admit that this quarterly report took everyone by surprise. I concede this quarter win for Apple. Of course the holidays may have given Apple a temporary push up the charts. Still mark my words. There are over 700,000 daily Android activations is no laughing matter. As I have stated before 2012, will be the year Android will surpass iOS by a huge margin. It's inevitable. Apple is not an immovable object, and will move down the single digit share. Android is the irresistible force that has just begun it's runaway growth and 98% market share.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I must admit that this quarterly report took everyone by surprise. I concede this quarter win for Apple. Of course the holidays may have given Apple a temporary push up the charts. Still mark my words. There are over 700,000 daily Android activations is no laughing matter. As I have stated before 2012, will be the year Android will surpass iOS by a huge margin. It's inevitable. Apple is not an immovable object, and will move down the single digit share. Android is the irresistible force that has just begun it's runaway growth and 98% market share.

700,000 activations =/= 700,000 new users. There's plenty of warranty replacements, buy-backs, geeks buying multiple unsubsidized phones, etc. Google is not transparent about it.

Thus far, Apple's market share has steadily grown, and is trending upward. Android is devouring Nokia and RIM's former market share, as well as taking over the market that once bought feature phones (i.e. cheap phones, prepaid phones, etc.).

Market share only matters to developers, and Android has been unable to bring the money.

How's the Android domination of tablets going? Apple's only competition is it's production constraints.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:

not wanting to debate or beat a dead horse but just wanted his logic......thats all.

Iphone 3g then iPhone 3Gs (not 4) then iPhone 4 then iPhone 4s...next logical would be iPhone 5

So, logically, Apple will call the 6th Generation iPhone... the iPhone 5.

Right.

From a marketing perspective, 6 > 5. Bigger is better.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:

No, you don't understand what 'context' means.

I apologize for my tone earlier. You've shown you really don't get it, and that's not your fault. I'll explain, then.

The Oracle suit. That's against Google about Android. Exclusively. To my knowledge, it doesn't have anything to do with anything else of Google's. As far as I've seen, in that suit, Google has been shown to have ripped off code from Oracle, pure and simple. When I said 'collapse', in the context of the statement I made and within the topic of that thread, I was referring to Android, a wholly owned subsidiary of Google.

The future of computing OVERALL will be Google, Apple, and a third company. Google does some impressive stuff elsewhere. They have their mapping system, self-driving cars, translation, and a slew of software-only services. They also have a rudimentary computer OS and have dabbled in making their own hardware with phones and set top boxes. Not to mention search. I actually almost forgot that.

Should the Oracle and Apple lawsuits bring about the death of Android and tens of billions of dollars paid in damages, that will not end Google as a whole. At least, probably. I figure that, while what they'd be forced to pay would be devastating, it wouldn't make Google into an eMachines. What's left of Google after Android will still be a force in the future of the technology industry, alongside Apple who has, in the last three or so years, solidified their hold on the near future.

Oh...so when you said

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"you didn't mean Google! Oh it makes total sense to me now! You said Google but you didn't mean Google......you mean Android...but you didn't say Android or even hint that you mean Android at the time but NOW you mean Android and not Google as whole. WOW......don't trip while back peddling.....

and when you said

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

You meant after they collapse from the Oracle suit they would rise again right? Become a OVERALL leader in the world IT space.....it all makes so much sense now........don't actually pay attention to what you write beacasue you really don't mean what you write. Its all based on interpretation and context....... cysrtal clear now.........
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Right.

I don't know what they will call it...... 5 seems logical but but only those working at Apple really know what it will be called....
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Quote:

Right.

Good! That's three people who understand!

Quote:

Exactly. That tears right into the argument that "they'll name it iPhone 5 because of marketing".

Quote:

You said Google but you didn't mean Google......you mean Android...but you didn't say Android or even hint that you mean Android at the time but NOW you mean Android and not Google as whole.

Yes! Good. Now you understand an example of what context means.

Quote:

WOW......don't trip while back peddling.....

Never mind. You're clearly doing this on purpose. I'm done indulging your crap.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

Good! That's three people who understand!

Exactly. That tears right into the argument that "they'll name it iPhone 5 because of marketing".

Yes! Good. Now you understand an example of what context means.

Never mind. You're clearly doing this on purpose. I'm done indulging your crap.

lol....don't go by what you say...go by what you mean.....but we don't know what you mean unless we go by what you say.......make sense to me!
  • Reply 53 of 73
    That is slapppingly great number
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:

I don't know what they will call it...... 5 seems logical but but only those working at Apple really know what it will be called....

It only seems logical because you are under the impression that Apple follows a strict series of numbers in numerical order.

To this I say...

Where is the iPhone 2?

Plus, Apple being Apple may wish to stiff all the people who were "disappointed" that Apple didn't release an iPhone 5 last fall by never releasing the mythical iPhone 5 and moving right on to 6.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

Right.

Two questions arrive from this:

1. If Apple does call it the iPhone 5 then where do we go from there.

2. How many people will actually give a shit as to what the next iPhone is named.

• Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Two questions arrive from this:

1. If Apple does call it the iPhone 5 then where do we go from there.

2. How many people will actually give a shit as to what the next iPhone is named.

1. Universe explodes. Then implodes. Then unicorns.

2. 42.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:

1. Universe explodes. Then implodes. Then unicorns.

2. 42.

42 1/2 ... we have to include Slappy.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:

"Life, the Universe, and literally Everything, even the stuff that makes no sense."

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Quote:

Oh...so when you said

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"you didn't mean Google! Oh it makes total sense to me now! You said Google but you didn't mean Google......you mean Android...but you didn't say Android or even hint that you mean Android at the time but NOW you mean Android and not Google as whole. WOW......don't trip while back peddling.....

and when you said

You meant after they collapse from the Oracle suit they would rise again right? Become a OVERALL leader in the world IT space.....it all makes so much sense now........don't actually pay attention to what you write beacasue you really don't mean what you write. Its all based on interpretation and context....... cysrtal clear now.........

Everybody understands what he is saying. It all makes perfect sense.

Just like the Soviet Union after Afghanistan, Google will be one of the three leading world tech powers.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:

I laugh out loud every time the name Slappy is mentioned. LOL!

And what is even better, we can all be mean and nasty to him with no fear of the mods!