President Obama points to Steve Jobs' ingenuity in State of the Union address

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    President Obama added, "And Steve Jobs exemplifies what a determined individual can do, even without a formal college eduction. Thus, I would like to introduce my "College? Not For Me" program, in which we'll pay current college students a stipend to dropout, take calligraphy classes, and smoke hashish to ponder the next world-changing invention."
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's so much drivel here. You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

- He never promised to get out of Afghanistan within a year. You're thinking of Iraq

- Went to war with Syria? When? Did I miss something? That's a pretty big mistake of you to make, and shows exactly how out of touch and confused you are. But hey, Syria's in the Middle-East so it's all the same shit, right?

- Libya was a NATO operation, and the US contributed. We got out of there damn fast, without a single injury or casualty,I'd hardly consider it a 'war'. It was absolutely the right thing to do, considering Gaddafi basically stated he planned to slaughter all the resistance, street by street. I'm generally against foreign interventions, but this is an exception I was for, and it was an incredibly quick and clean operation by US standards.

- What does 'talk of war with Iran' mean? This is coming mostly from the right, who are attacking Obama on being 'soft' on Iran. There's no evidence he plans to attack Iran, and most of the tough talk is political and meant to appease those accusing him of not standing up to Iran. You can't accuse him of anything based on 'talk', especially when he's not behind the talk.

- I agree with you that an attack on Iran would be a disaster, and trust me when I say I have absolutely no love for Israel, and believe they are the most dangerous country in the region. Still, Israel has been drumming up war with Iran for a long time, this has nothing to do with Obama.

- The bailouts were a necessary evil to prevent the utter meltdown of this country and devastation of the entire economic system, not to mention tens of millions of people. If you knew a bit about the economics of the situation you would see this. I'm against bailouts in general, but this was an extreme case where the consequences of doing nothing would have been insanely disastrous.

SO yeah.. stop lumping everything together in a desperate attempt to make a point. Most of what you said is flat out false, or heavily distorted by your own subjectivity and ignorance.

Agreed. And although I'm not a huge Obama fan in general, he's looking a million times better than any one of the complete douchebags running in the Republican party. Seriously the GOP are complete and utter joke, all at the expense of most Americans.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I hesitate to mention that Steve once told Obama that he was headed for a "one term presidency", and the reasons that might happen are still in play. I personally think he's been one of the worst presidents we've had... right up there with Bush.

Actually, you don't hesitate to say it at all.

"Just like Bush"? Like withdrawing from Iraq, and from Afghanistan over the next two years? Oh, yeah, that's like Bush.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

"Just like Bush"? Like withdrawing from Iraq, and from Afghanistan over the next two years? Oh, yeah, that's like Bush.

You forgot to mention actually catching Bin Laden rather than creating a war that cost $3 trillion and thousands of American lives (plus hundreds of thousands of others).
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Like invading Libya on the same BS pretense used to invade Iraq?

Like repealing the ban on assassination that had been in place since the 70's?

Like authorizing legislation giving him the sole power to arrest anyone, US citizen or not, anywhere in the world and hold them indefinitely without trial?

Like renewing the Patriot act?

Like breaking his promise to close Guantanamo Bay?
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You forgot to mention actually catching Bin Laden rather than creating a war that cost $3 trillion and thousands of American lives (plus hundreds of thousands of others).

All of which wouldn't have happened to begin with had Bill Clinton the balls to pull the trigger during his reign.......and conveniently neglecting that all the intelligence apparatus put in place to catch Bin Laden was initiated while Bush was in power.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Do you agree with his plan to shut down the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Interior? How about selling off Federal Lands to the highest bidders? Yellowstone Park owned by Exxon? Canyonlands National Park sold off to the coal and uranium industries? Is that a good plan?

Yes.

Seriously though, the majority of his policies wouldn't be approved regardless, but it would send a message that we are tired of the federal government ruling our lives and bring things back to the state and local levels as our constitution states.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And ironically, Apple is one of the greediest companies on the planet. Think about it. They have a profit margin that would a Big Oil executive blush.

Apple's last quarter: 13.06 billion profit on 46.33 billion revenue = 28.2% profit

ExxonMobil 3Q11 (couldn't find 4Q11): 10.3 billion profit on 125.3 billion revenue = 8.2% profit

And Exxon's profits are inflated by the tax breaks they get (which should be taken away).

So why is Exxon evil and Apple the golden child?

Edit: Not meaning to take away from all the great things Steve and Apple accomplished. Just providing a point of perspective because "excessive" oil company (or any other company) profits are a popular rallying cry for some folks.

Really asking? Apple innovates, creates product we never knew we would love so much. Poor people gladly save their shillings for ONE NICE THING that does many things, an Apple device.

Apple is a leader. You watch. See them bring jobs home soon.

EXXon? Rape and pillage the earth, bribery and influence to prevent competing tech which humanity must have soon...because billions of Chinese and Indians idling their automobiles will leave the air unfit to breathe...soon. Bribery and influence taking money out of the pocket of hard working people in th form of price fixing gasoline? Etc etc. Oil spills,,,no matter how much we drill baby drill the price of oil is set on the spot market and ANYBODY can buy it, imagine American oil for the Chinese!
  • Reply 69 of 72
    You got it right!
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

(typical Obama lover retort) - He's just cleaning up Bush's mess and by the way you're a racist.

You are a racist if you defend Obama just because he is black or cream colored or whatever he is. If his mother was white, why isn't he half white?

Post racial president, my rear end.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Why are you posting here???
  • Reply 72 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Really asking? Apple innovates, creates product we never knew we would love so much. Poor people gladly save their shillings for ONE NICE THING that does many things, an Apple device.

Apple is a leader. You watch. See them bring jobs home soon.

EXXon? Rape and pillage the earth, bribery and influence to prevent competing tech which humanity must have soon...because billions of Chinese and Indians idling their automobiles will leave the air unfit to breathe...soon. Bribery and influence taking money out of the pocket of hard working people in th form of price fixing gasoline? Etc etc. Oil spills,,,no matter how much we drill baby drill the price of oil is set on the spot market and ANYBODY can buy it, imagine American oil for the Chinese!

To say Exxon wasn't innovative, or create things we love is a pretty ignorant thing. You can dislike what they do currently, or whatever you want to complain about, but I'm sure when Exxon was 30 years old, people thought it was amazing stuff as well.

I would say drilling the first oil well ever, creating gasoline and motor oil for automobiles AND for the first plane, creating the first oil lubricant ever, creating the first generating station (i.e. to power hospitals during natural disasters), make the first kerosene lights (before electricity), rubbing and isopropyl alcohol, butyl (artificial rubber), etc, etc, etc.

What happens when we find out the massive tons of landfills that are filled with disposable electronics that Apple wants you to replace every 1-2 years?

Im not trying to argue about what is right or wrong, and who is environmentally conscience or has better business practices, I'm just saying- put it in perspective. Wars were won and lost because of what Exxon innovated, I can fly to Europe or visit Hawaii because of what Exxon innovated. I'd say there is no contest who was more innovative- standard oil or Apple.