Strong sales of iPhone 4S a precursor to 'monster' launch of redesigned 'iPhone 5'

Comments

• Reply 221 of 241
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just trying to breath a little sanity back into the world. I know I'm right. I refuse to let go of that. My signature summarizes it best.

We can all dream!
  • Reply 222 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We can all dream!

NO. Please stop behaving like a child. I've torn apart absolutely every argument you've had for 'iPhone 5'. There is no instance under which it makes sense. How can you operate in daily life allowing delusions of this magnitude to seep through? Stop pretending it's a valid option.
  • Reply 223 of 241
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

NO. Please stop behaving like a child. I've torn apart absolutely every argument you've had for 'iPhone 5'. There is no instance under which it makes sense. How can you operate in daily life allowing delusions of this magnitude to seep through? Stop pretending it's a valid option.

Give it up already. You haven't torn apart anything. I really don't know why you are thinking this is such a big deal. Do you have money riding on this? Seriously, this is getting sillier on your part. Just let it go.
  • Reply 224 of 241
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    ooohhhh mod fight!
  • Reply 225 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

ooohhhh mod fight!

Hope he doesn't tag-team with Marvin again. Becoming a regular WWE match here?

Look, to recap, I've covered why iPhone 5 doesn't work based on any of Apple's past naming conventions. I've also covered why it doesn't work as an "oh, the people think it will be called that so we have to call it that" standpoint. It just doesn't make sense. All we have to go on is the past, and nothing in Apple's past makes it look like this will happen.

It could be the iPhone 5 simply because it is impossible for us currently to collapse the dimension of probability with respect to time to see what will have actually occurred. If that happens, however, I would advise people to get rid of their stock in Apple, both physical and mental. I say that it won't because I have too much faith in Apple to believe that they'd do that.
  • Reply 226 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @ Tallest Skil,

You should let it go. You've stated your argument from every possible angle. You've noted the many precedence of Apple either skipping a model number to maintain something that fits into the generation of the device or cellular chip. There is nothing more you can say on the topic to change anyone's mind or convince them that they should look at it from more rational PoV. To continue in this thread (or others) does you or anyone else no good.
  • Reply 227 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Tallest Skil,

You should let it go. You've stated your argument from every possible angle. You've noted the many precedence of Apple either skipping a model number to maintain something that fits into the generation of the device or cellular chip. There is nothing more you can say on the topic to change anyone's mind or convince them that they should look at it from more rational PoV. To continue in this thread (or others) does you or anyone else no good.

I'm bothered by the fact that people refuse to see reason. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Of course, I read the thread on MacRumors about it and was surprised the guy didn't commit suicide afterward. They acted as though he didn't deserve to live anymore for so much as suggesting the 6th iPhone wouldn't be called the iPhone 5.

That place has gone so far downhill that I'm actually fine with my unexplained ban now.
  • Reply 228 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

That place has gone so far downhill that I'm actually fine with my unexplained ban now.

That forum was always inline with Digg.com's forum posters. Of all the tech forums I frequent AI's forum members are the best. You can have in-depth conversations about many diverse topics. I learn a lot from this site. Not just from other people informing me, but wanting to pass on information so choosing to do research to progress the conversation. This site, among all others, has honed my ability to search, research, organize, write and argue effectively in ways that I didn't think an internet forum could do.
  • Reply 229 of 241
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    We can all see that suggesting the public is so utterly stupid that they won't understand the 6 row table Tim Cook will display showing 2012's phone will be the sixth phone is patronising in the extreme.

We can all see that the moment Apple say 'guys, we give you iPhone 6' (if they decide to stick with a number) the press will go 'oh yeah, I guess it does make sense, being the sixth iPhone and all...' and nobody will think any more of it.

We can all see that even if it throws some people, anyone wanting one will still buy it, whatever they call it, so Apple can call it anything they like, and they like generational naming. iPhone 4 made that utterly clear. Since when did Apple give a damn what Joe Public was expecting to hear from them?

We can all see that those arguing for 'iPhone 5' seem to have their heads stuck firmly in the ground and are refusing to open up their minds to the clear and exhaustive explanations that have been given to them as to why that name makes absolutely no sense.

Once an debate has reached the point where neither side is adding any new point to their argument any longer, it has become petty and pointless. We'll see in the summer.
  • Reply 230 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This makes me think that Apple may return to a June roll-pout for the iPhone 5. In fact it may need to do this simply to satisfy demand in time for Christmas 2012.

Personally, i find it crazy that some people will happily change their phone two times in a year (where do these kids find the cash to do that?) but they do. They're hooked on their smart phones.

*Yes, I know the internals were new, but the market really expected a new and larger screen and this is what is most getting Samsung notices with new Gallaxy and Note models.

Well I went from a 3G to a 4S after 2 1/2 years so it was pretty major upgrade for me. But to go from a 4S to a 5 6-8 mos later?? Dunno...it either better be a true killer smartphone or at least gold plated. I'm the type that lets his contract run for 2 years and then upgrades to the latest. Usually they have all the bugs worked out by then.

About the only thing that bugs me is having to baby the battery in the 4S, so I'm kinda reluctant to jump right into the 5 if it immeadiately becomes available. I'm inclined to wait wait for 6 mos to see how it goes rather than jump in.

But if it is a true 4G/LTE capable iPhone with a bigger screen (and some other improvements)...yeah I can see jumping in before my contract expires but not immediately.
  • Reply 231 of 241
    Thats right!!..Apple stocks to go really high after the launch of iPhone 5!!..
  • Reply 232 of 241
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Would be great of you to read the thread before posting your first post. iPhone6 you mean. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 233 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Would be great of you to read the thread before posting your first post. iPhone6 you mean. Welcome to the forum.

He was a spambot. You shouldn't expect much from them.
  • Reply 234 of 241
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Haha and I fell for it. Stupid me

Edit: because of this naming convention I am now in heavy discussion with friends and colleagues who state it will be iPhone5. So big thanks for all your posts because I can now answer them so much quicker and transparent. Thanks!
  • Reply 235 of 241
    Regarding the naming conventions, I think it's pretty clear that only hardware updates warrant renaming the phone to the next sequential number, and mere internal software/processor/camera updates mean the phone keeps the 3 or the 4 or whatever the case may be. Maybe I'm underthinking it though.

Nonetheless, the marketing department names the phones, not some techie with OCD who demands that the name and version match the arbitrary A6 on the chip.

And from a marketing standpoint, skipping the name iPhone 5 would be really, really stupid. I can't imagine Apple relegating marketing, of all things, to the back burner just so they can name the phone after the A6 stamp on an internal chip.
  • Reply 236 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FiveIronFrenzy View Post

Regarding the naming conventions, I think it's pretty clear that only hardware updates warrant renaming the phone to the next sequential number, and mere internal software/processor/camera updates mean the phone keeps the 3 or the 4 or whatever the case may be. Maybe I'm underthinking it though.

Nah, that's about right. Same case, different internals = the "speed" designation.

New case gets a new number, corresponding either to the telephony or phone generation. We have seen nothing else.

Quote:

And from a marketing standpoint, skipping the name iPhone 5 would be really, really stupid.

And from a marketing standpoint, "iPhone 5" doesn't make any sense at all and cannot be tied into any aspect of the phone's features whatsoever, so it would just sit there on the website.

Whereas iPhone 6 can be tied to the generation, the processor and the version of iOS.
  • Reply 237 of 241
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Here is why you would keep the 3GS.

The sum total of sales of the

1) iPhone 4S

2) iPhone 4

3) iPhone 3Gs

exceed the sum total sales of the

1) iPhone 4S

2) iPhone 4

and similarly the sales of the

1) iPhone 5 ( or - standard disclaimer - whatever it is called)

2) iPhone 4S

3)iPhone 4

4) iPhone 3Gs

will exceed the sales of the

1) iPhone 5

2) iPhone 4S

3) iPhone 4

Of course, you could use that same argument to argue that Apple should never drop any model of iPhone ever, and eventually be selling a dozen phones, with the oldest models simply being tossed from trucks into consumer's hands.

But in the real world OS updates and features require better hardware, and keeping 3 year old models hanging around just makes it harder for Apple to migrate their customer base to the latest and greatest. Already, the (clearly important to Apple as a UI paradigm) Siri party is somewhat compromised, you can bet Apple will want to get everyone using Siri ASAP.

Selling the latest iPhone while keeping the 4S and 4 to cover price points is reasonable. 4 owners don't get every bit of whatever the latest iteration of iOS entails, and probably there will be a few things that even the 4S can't do, but generally you get everybody up to Retina displays and reasonably speedy processors, and 2/3 of your models Siri-capable (with that going to 100% in a year, when the 4 gets dropped and the 4S becomes the entry level model).

We'll know this fall, but I'd be willing to bet you money the 3GS goes bye-bye.
  • Reply 238 of 241
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

We'll know this fall, but I'd be willing to bet you money the 3GS goes bye-bye.

I agree - it's the only one without a retina and IPS display, the only one with 256MB RAM and the only one still built with a plastic casing.

Depending on what they do with the iPhone 5, I'd say it would be a good idea to get rid of the iPhone 4 too and just keep the 4S and 5 going so that every new buyer gets Siri.

On the other hand, the 3GS does hit the cheap end of the market, which is very high volume.
  • Reply 239 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

On the other hand, the 3GS does hit the cheap end of the market, which is very high volume.

Does the 3GS sell more than I've heard about?

I remember seeing a pie chart where the 4S was the VAST majority of sales and the 3GS had a low single digit percentage. Was that U.S. only or all sales?
  • Reply 240 of 241
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Does the 3GS sell more than I've heard about?

I remember seeing a pie chart where the 4S was the VAST majority of sales and the 3GS had a low single digit percentage. Was that U.S. only or all sales?

There aren't official numbers but you may be right. The total was 37 million iPhones and this article suggests the 3GS might only account for under 2 million (< 5%):

http://www.cultofmac.com/134401/ipho...d-in-december/

Even though the 4S sold 4 million in the first weekend, I wouldn't have expected such a huge difference between a $200 phone and a free/$0.99 phone in favour of the expensive one but I guess since some countries won't have affordable pre-pay options, if you're going to tie yourself to a 2 year contract, you may as well get the higher priced phone.

If the lower units only sell in such small numbers, it justifies getting rid of at least one of the lower models. I personally think they should only sell two models - the latest one and the previous one.