Half of the enterprise is issuing Macs, 21% of workers use Apple products

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

A new study indicates around half of all large companies with 1,000 employees or more are buying Macs, while over a fifth of all "information workers" are now using at least one Apple product to do their work.

Apple's resurgence among business users was profiled in a report by Forrester analyst Frank Gillett entitled "Apple Infiltrates The Enterprise."

It further noted that companies buying Macs plan to increase their purchases by 52 percent this year. The study was based on interviews with 3,300 Information Technology decision makers and an additional 10,000 workers across 17 countries.

Forrester charted dynamic growth for Macs among enterprise users, noting that the percentage of companies issuing Macs to their workers has grown from 30 percent in 2009 to 37 percent in 2010 and 46 percent over the last year.

The research firm notes that among companies that deploy Macs, 7 percent of all computers being issued are now Macs.

Adoption by demographic

The firm notes that 15 percent reported using at least one Apple product (such as a Mac, iPad or iPhone), while an additional 6 percent said they used two or more. Eleven percent said they used an iPhone, while 9 percent said they used an iPad and 8 percent reported using a Mac for work.

It also points out that Apple devices in general are most popular among workers with a senior position, higher wages and among younger workers.

"Most of our sample of 10,000 global info workers earns less than $50k," the report stated, "but the adoption rate of Apple products is almost 17% even in the bottom quartile of workers who make less than $12k per year."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'm the only person in our office of 25 or so that has a Mac. We are one program away from having half the office converted. Come on adobe- this year allow acrobat to be fully functional for Mac and not a crippled version of itself.

Before anyone comments- I've tried dozens of other programs, spoke with the owners and developers, and there is nothing in the Mac world to simulate sharpdesk. Acrobat does on windows.... Just not Mac. Come on Adobe- this is your year to get a dozen licenses from us.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Sl-a-a-a-a-ap-py, come out to pl-a-a-a-a-a-ay!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple will never get to 2% this way!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Completely unrelated, but I deleted all of my iCloud backups and restored all of my iOS devices to start fresh today. It's a nice feeling. Roll on iPad 3 with Siri (it won't have Siri)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm the only person in our office of 25 or so that has a Mac. We are one program away from having half the office converted. Come on adobe- this year allow acrobat to be fully functional for Mac and not a crippled version of itself.

Before anyone comments- I've tried dozens of other programs, spoke with the owners and developers, and there is nothing in the Mac world to simulate sharpdesk. Acrobat does on windows.... Just not Mac. Come on Adobe- this is your year to get a dozen licenses from us.

Have you tried Fusion or Parallels?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This could be interesting. I wonder how Slaphappy is going to use this to show that Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    The fact it is the most senior people who get Macs suggests it is a status symbol. Become a director, get an fancy company car and an expensive laptop.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The fact it is the most senior people who get Macs suggests it is a status symbol. Become a director, get an fancy company car and an expensive laptop.

Or maybe the most senior people have the greatest need for flexibility and powerful tools.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Have you tried Fusion or Parallels?

This could be interesting. I wonder how Slaphappy is going to use this to show that Apple is doomed.

Ive used parallels before- great program. But I'm not gonna switch to all Mac if we have to run it under windows 95% of the time. Heck- 5% is too much to be on windows.

Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe the most senior people have the greatest need for flexibility and powerful tools.

No doubt- I'm much much much more efficient since the switch. And work is always at my fingertips (both good and bad).
  • Reply 9 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

It would be better if Aple came out with an improved pro version of Preview.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

A couple other reasons...
    • Senior people have the greatest pull in getting what they want.

• Senior employees are most likely in management positions where the OS can become mostly irrrelevant to an employee that mostly gets information from standard email, browsers and network-based files.

• Reply 11 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Ever considered they care about reducing the need for tech support and improving user productivity. Macs are not status symbols, they are simply better computers with a superior OS that people love using. They are in fact lower cost in the long run.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Completely unrelated, but I deleted all of my iCloud backups and restored all of my iOS devices to start fresh today. It's a nice feeling. Roll on iPad 3 with Siri (it won't have Siri)

(oh yes it will)

[surely]
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ever considered they care about reducing the need for tech support and improving user productivity. Macs are not status symbols, they are simply better computers with a superior OS that people love using. They are in fact lower cost in the long run.

Or that they work better for business travelers: lighter, smaller form factor, better battery life, less security vulnerabilities, easier Wifi connectivity, less support, easy to get replacement parts in the field, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Basically, the "middle-aged corporate drone"-type worker favors Windows over Mac, simply because they can't live without their powerpoint, outlook, and excel. Hell, they're trolling on these forums with comments like "Enterprise hates Apple."
  • Reply 15 of 23
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Or maybe they just want Macbook Air.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    In one story I read, CTOs are not only using Macs, but referring to the WinPCs of others as "typewriters." When CTOs begin to view WinPCs this way, it is just a matter of time before Macs take over the enterprise.

The "scary" thing (for PCs and they do not realize it yet) but this is a bit like an avalanche coming. It builds slowly, but when it reaches a critical point, it becomes unstoppable.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    If these numbers are even halfway close to accurate ( and the sample size suggests thats possible) then microsoft has major issues going forward :-)
  • Reply 18 of 23
    My company is pretty small - just abot 20 people in it. I am the only one using a Mac here. The only reason why I was able to get my boss to get me one was because it could run Windows as well. We do only .NET development, so Windows is a must for us.

I tried Parallels 7 and VMWare Fusion 4. I ended up buying VMWare Fusion since Amazon had a very good discount in addition to the VMWare discount, during Black Friday. However, I think I should have bought Parallels instead. I just felt it performed a little better. And I should have read some VMWare faqs before I started using it in earnest. I cannot use MS Office now since the number of activations has been exceeded! I mostly stick to Bootcamp now.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Ive used parallels before- great program. But I'm not gonna switch to all Mac if we have to run it under windows 95% of the time. Heck- 5% is too much to be on windows.

I suggested Parallels or Fusion because you implied that you were ready to make the switch except for one program. I was assuming that you did more with your computers than run Acrobat, so why would you be running Windows 95% of the time?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Another reason is the massive licensing fees Microsoft charges on a annual basis.