Nokia's earnings plunge 73%, Nintendo sees first annual loss

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 74
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post


    No. No. No.



    Nintendo's loss has NOTHING to do with Apple and their products. Nintendo lost it's money due to the underperforming Wii, a dedicated home console gaming platform. Though Apple dabbles in this arena with AirPlay it's not a focus of theirs or their users. Nintendo's losses in this area have nothing to do with competition from Apple and everything to do with not releasing enough quality games.



    The Nintendo 3DS outsold the first year sales of the original DS in only eight months. It may have had a slow start, but it's rebounded quickly and not a source of loss for the company.



    Apple Insider should stop trying create stories out of thin air. They need to report facts and analyze fairly and throughly. Re-distributing theories with no basis in fact only harms.



    You are speaking on deaf ears honestly, but you are right the Wii is struggling right now and with weak Wii sales that means software sales are obviously down. Nintendo got beat down by PS3/360 which had Skyrim/MW3/Arkham City and a host of console exclusives...while Nintendo had only Skyward Sword. 3DS failed to meet expectations and saw a price cut.



    I expect the 3DS to be the only thing to tide Nintendo over till the Wii U, as games like Kingdom Hearts 3D, RE: Revelations, Kid Icarus, MGS3 and a host of others come out in the first half of 2012, and from there we will have to see what E3 brings.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    My boys (ages 9 and 11) have stopped playing the Wii. They wanted the fighting games available on the PS3. I was loathe to buy a PS3 because if you look at the top 200 games on amazon.com, nearly all of them are fighting games, some of which are too violent for young, impressionable minds.



    We've replaced the Wii and those expensive games with iPads and now a PS3 as well. The upfront cost is nothing when you factor in how many apps are free or 99 cents.



    I would think Nintendo would be interested in licensing the Mario franchise to Apple. It's the one thing that differentiated their systems from other, better, game consoles.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post










    Ah, so I'm the old and busted and you're all the new hotness. Seems sort of backwards chronologically.



    Quote:

    As for Nintendo, I think this is just a blip. They made a mistake with the 3DS.



    It seems to be selling well. Their mistake, right now, looks like the Wii, of all things.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post


    You are speaking on deaf ears honestly



    No, I'm listening. Listening intently. I was unaware that the Wii was underperforming at this stage, particularly because of how many years it operated as iPhones and iPads do today. I figured that the 3DS had had something of a cold launch, but that doesn't seem to be the case.



    Quote:

    ?tide Nintendo over till the Wii U?



    Quote:

    The Wii U should pick things back up again around Christmas?



    See? this bothered me. Really bothered me. They announced the Wii U, yeah? and then what? Launch date nearly a year later. Don't these guys have any idea what they're doing?! Osborne wasn't even that stupid. The Wii U should have come out THIS holiday season or they shouldn't have announced it yet at all.



    I question their choice to announce it so early unless they plan to have an actually good slew of launch titles to capture as many lost sales as they will have in the interim.



    They'd need a new, revolutionary Mario (think what Galaxy was to the existing series) and not just a Galaxy rehash. They'd do well to have Super Smash Bros. Universe a launch title, too. And I mean VERY well. Though I know that's a pipe dream at best.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post


    It's way too early for this. The 3DS, since the price drop, has been out-performing the original DS at the same point in time. What many sites, including AI, are failing to report is that the loss is mostly due to the strong yen. Nintendo lost 50 billion yen on the foreign exchange alone.



    Whew. For a minute there, I thought Nintendo was in trouble. Thanks for assuaging my fears. I can now go back to playing games on my iPad.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    That's your rebuttal? "No."?



    No. My rebuttal was the rest of my post.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Whew. For a minute there, I thought Nintendo was in trouble. Thanks for assuaging my fears. I can now go back to playing games on my iPad.



    It's almost like Apple fans have forgotten about the quarters where Apple performed far worse...short term memory, huh?
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    Fun there in fantasy land?

    You claim physical controls trump touch screen controls every time, but that's your opinion only and reality speaks differently.

    The loss has nothing to do with the shitty dollar, as the projections for dollar devaluation have been well known, accurate, and accounted for. Nintendo was expected to report 4 billion yen in loss. Not 45. Get it now? It was a really bad year for them.



    The story continues month after month, and people like you constantly fly out of the woodwork to say, "Its not that bad!" out of pure wishful thinking for Nintendo and all console makers, because for whatever reason you like terrible screens and plastic styli...i don't care, thats your preference. I emphasize, your preference. The market's preference is entirely different, and every single month of sales for at least the last 3.5 - 4 years has proven it.



    In less than 3 years Nintendo will either run out of cash, or license products to iOS. That's by 2015. Remember that, for when it happens.



    You claim physical controls trump touch screen controls every time, but that's your opinion only and reality speaks differently.

    Actually, it's not an opinion and I have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, it's universally accepted that touch screen controls aren't as good as hardware controls. Whether you want to believe it or not, hardware controls can (and often do) register faster than touch controls. One is clicking a simple switch (essentially an on-off circuit), the other requires multiple processes to determine if something was pressed, where, and is usually registered by things such as the heat of your finger. Hardware controls are much tighter, and I doubt you can find a single credible source that claims otherwise.

    Ever heard of a game called Super Meat Boy (if you're a fan of platformers, I'd HIGHLY recommend it)? The developers have specifically stated that they won't develop it for mobile devices because it doesn't belong. The game is crushingly difficult on certain levels and touchscreen controls would make the game impossible. There are A LOT of developers who don't develop for iOS because their games simply wouldn't be possible on it.



    The story continues month after month


    Really? Because last time I checked the 3DS has been selling at a rate better than any gaming device EVER since the price drop. The DS made Apple sales look small worldwide* and the 3DS is currently outpacing it.

    *I recall reading that based on sales, 1 in every 4 people in the US owned a DS.



    In less than 3 years Nintendo will either run out of cash, or license products to iOS. That's by 2015. Remember that, for when it happens




    That's really all I can say about that. Both of those comments are so horribly false I seriously don't even know where to start. Companies always dip in profit at the end of their current platforms lifecycle. Heck, look how poorly the Gamecube did (ESPECIALLY at the end) and Nintendo bounced back with the Wii and DS. You clearly have absolutely no idea how the video game industry works, and it's people like you that give the idiot analysts the ideas that iOS is competing with Nintendo. THEY AREN'T . If anything, iOS is only broadening the gaming market (similar to what Nintendo did with the Wii and DS). iOS games are great for a few minutes of entertainment but are very rarely good for long periods of extended play time, have a huge lack in terms of graphical abilities, and can't touch the Big 3's online capabilities.

    And the day Nintendo licenses out their 1st party icons (Mario, Zelda, etc) I'll eat my shorts. Those products can (and have) sold systems by themselves . Based on how misguided your post is (especially with the history of Nintendo), I can probably assume that Nintendo's been in this game longer than you've been alive. Trust me, there's a reason they're still around.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Nokia and WP7 are great HW and OS yet are too late to market to be making any in-roads yet RiM expects to release BB 10 at the end of 2012? If Nokia and MS can't do it I don't think RiM can do it 1.5 years later than them. At least with Nokia and MS there are very deep pockets they can use to maintain and advance their HW and OS, respectively, until there is an opening. I can't say the same thing about RiM. On top of that, MS has an SDK that is good while I don't think there is anything good for their QNX-based OS at this time.





    I agree. I was in a T-Mobile store yesterday, and played around with the Lumia. If I couldn't get an iPhone, I would go with a Nokia Windows Mobile over Android.



    Nokia's hardware is top notch. It doesn't feel cheap like Samsung, Motorola, and HTC phones (which all use a lot of cheap plastic). T-Mobile also has a lot of Android phones, so it was easy to compare.



    Moreover, for me, one of the appeals of Apple products are they all play together nice. My Macbook, Apple TV, iPad, and iPhones all work together well. I also have an X-Box. Microsoft is starting to leverage it's successful X-Box platform with Windows Phone, and most likely Window Metro (when it comes out). I think over time, this will pan out for Microsoft.



    Moreover, Android is slowly getting more expensive for companies like Samsung and HTC. They are all paying Microsoft licensing fees. There is a strong possibility Oracle is going to win its lawsuit against Google and ask for a licensing fee. THey have to pay millions of dollars to fight Apple. Further, they soon might have to compete with Google owned Motorola.



    Windows Phone eventually will be a better alternative for many hardware manufacturers because it will be cheaper. Apple isn't going to go after Microsoft or hardware manufacturers using Windows Phones. If Apple did, unlike Google, Microsoft indemnifies its hardware manufactures from lawsuits.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


    And Apple has? Their products are often sold out, so what's their excuse?



    The difference is that Apple products are sold out AT LAUNCH of a new version and then they eventually get caught up. For example, it's now about 4 months post-4S launch and you could walk into hundreds of stores and find a 4S.



    The Wii remained sold out for YEARS even after sales had started to decline or had leveled off.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    The difference is that Apple products are sold out AT LAUNCH of a new version and then they eventually get caught up. For example, it's now about 4 months post-4S launch and you could walk into hundreds of stores and find a 4S.



    The Wii remained sold out for YEARS even after sales had started to decline or had leveled off.



    The difference though is that the wii had higher demand then the iphone. If you look at wii and iphone sales in 2007, you'll notice that per quarter the wii was selling nearly 2-4 times as many units per quarter than the iphone. iphone sales didn't reach wii sales per quarter until Q3 2009 early Q2 2010. Also during the first 2-3 years Nintendo had increased production of the wii by nearly 50% each year.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    Can you explain yourself more, both phones shown in the article have a single Nokia written on them, how is this any different than Apple having their logo on the iPhone? And as for buttons, doesn't MS dictate what buttons you have on a WP7 device?



    The explanation is that I went to the Nokia website to get more pictures to see if this phone is as ugly as it is in this articles photo. Apparently, they are already in bed with T-Mobile because the phone they advertise on their website has a T-Mobile logo along the bottom. And isn't that the Windows logo on the button? Three logos on the front???? I have looked at a logo of phones, and with windows and android every idiot company that has anything to do with the phone needs to have the logo on the front. And why do you need a search for search button. If you can't find search in their software interface how are you going to find anything else? And a back button, what is the windows button?



    Okay, lets design a piece of junk and put everyones logo on it so you know who did it.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    how is this any different than Apple having their logo on the iPhone?



    As for Apple, they have a really nice clean logo, they leave off the company name, and they put it on the back of the phone where it doesn't distract from the interface. Google had the brains to come up with an android logo which was as sophisticated and cool as Apple's but you never see it on a phone. Everyone else has these dull corporate logos which they eagerly throw in your face. It just screams that these companies are run by corporate idiots.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post


    ...And why do you need a search for search button. If you can't find search in their software interface how are you going to find anything else? And a back button, what is the windows button?



    Having a search button doesn't mean there isn't a way to access the OS search function. It simply allows you access to search with ONE click regardless of where you are. How do you search in iOS 5? Slide left to open search from the home screen. Who would've thought to slide left to search? What if your homescreen is in the middle of 8 pages? You would've to click the home button, and then slide left. With android or WP7, just click the search button anytime. Do you really believe this is MORE intuitive than a dedicated search button?



    The back button is very convenient, at least in WP7. If I'm using an app and let say the app has a link that opens up the browser to a specific page. After clicking on the link and viewing the content on the specific page, I can just hit BACK, and I'm back to where I left off in the previous app. There's no need to bring up the app switching interface. I could if I want, but I don't have to.



    In iOS, suppose an app that I am using has a link that opens up the browser. How do I go back to the previous app? Well, you would have to double-click on the Home button and then select the previous app. That's TWO taps vs ONE tap.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,609member
    14 million 3DS for the year. Wow, Apple sold 15 million iPads in a quarter and the 3DS is only a fraction of the price of the iPad.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post


    That actually doesn't make any sense. A dedicated gaming console's controls trump that a touchscreen device for games. And I'll also take a stylus for using my thumbs for games as well, provided it allows for far greater accuracy without obscuring the screen nearly as much.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    Fun there in fantasy land? You claim physical controls trump touch screen controls every time, but that's your opinion only and reality speaks differently.





    The story continues month after month, and people like you constantly fly out of the woodwork to say, "Its not that bad!" out of pure wishful thinking for Nintendo and all console makers, because for whatever reason you like terrible screens and plastic styli...i don't care, thats your preference. I emphasize, your preference. The market's preference is entirely different, and every single month of sales for at least the last 3.5 - 4 years has proven it.



    Yes, and fools constantly fly out of the woodwork claiming that Macs are better than PC's. They just have goofy idiosyncrasies. It's just their preference. The market's preference is entirely different, and every single month of sales for at least the last 28 years has proven it.



    More to the point, and less sarcasm.... I can easily imagine a stylus providing greater accuracy than thumbs. Frankly, I hate texting because I find the touch screen sensitivity to be relatively poor (i.e.: c®@p), and so I prefer a standard size keyboard & email. If it has to be done via the phone, I'd MUCH rather talk. BTW, ever see that Tonight Show episode with Jay Leno... texting versus Morse code? http://bitly.com/A0kr6C Just because the market prefers something, doesn't mean it has higher performance.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post


    The wii has not been overtaken by anything. The only system about to be overtaken is the Xbox 360 which will fall into last place.



    The Wii is on its last legs and the PS3 is lagging in software sales (apparently a lot of people just bought one as a Blu-ray player).



    The Xbox 360 has all the momentum at this point. The PS3 may eventually catch it on total sales but not after it has stopped being relevant.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    14 million 3DS for the year. Wow, Apple sold 15 million iPads in a quarter and the 3DS is only a fraction of the price of the iPad.



    The iPad is basically an all-purpose computer. The 3DS is a games-only machine. Apples and oranges.



    If Apple released a games-only iPad, it would sell far less than it has, also likely far less than most other dedicated gaming systems.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post


    Having a search button doesn't mean there isn't a way to access the OS search function. It simply allows you access to search with ONE click



    You push a lot more keys than one, to do a search, you are forgetting the 5 to 20 you push on the keyboard, hoping to hit the combination which will bring up what you want.



    On an iPhone I have never had an overwhelming need to constantly be searching for stuff. I have over a hundred apps, thousands of songs, many movies, lots of e-mail. Maybe if MS had spent a little more time thinking about the interface they wouldn't need a hardwired a search for search button.



    If you really need search you just push the home button twice and you have search, you are bound to stumble upon it within the first day owning the phone, and then you know. These days just asking, such as, "Find my wife's e-mail from yesterday" seems to be my preferred method.



    As for the back button. Of my hundreds of apps, I can't think of one that takes me to a web page. They call it "in-app-purchasing". The whole point of apps is to avoid webpages.



    Just another example of geek button fetish to resolve stuff they were too lazy to really solve.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post


    The explanation is that I went to the Nokia website to get more pictures to see if this phone is as ugly as it is in this articles photo. Apparently, they are already in bed with T-Mobile because the phone they advertise on their website has a T-Mobile logo along the bottom. And isn't that the Windows logo on the button? Three logos on the front???? I have looked at a logo of phones, and with windows and android every idiot company that has anything to do with the phone needs to have the logo on the front. And why do you need a search for search button. If you can't find search in their software interface how are you going to find anything else? And a back button, what is the windows button?



    Okay, lets design a piece of junk and put everyones logo on it so you know who did it.



    You went to the Nokia USA website, that is the localised one for your location, not their global one.



    Nokia has their logo on the top, can't understand why that is an issue, they make the thing. The windows symbol, that is a button, it is a MS rule that they all have this button on them. T-Mobile, well again, you are looking at the USA version, if you look at the global site that model doesn't have a vendor logo on it.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post


    As for Apple, they have a really nice clean logo, they leave off the company name, and they put it on the back of the phone where it doesn't distract from the interface. Google had the brains to come up with an android logo which was as sophisticated and cool as Apple's but you never see it on a phone. Everyone else has these dull corporate logos which they eagerly throw in your face. It just screams that these companies are run by corporate idiots.



    Do a search for Nokia's logo, it is their name and a saying, on all their phones they just put the name part in, how is this any different than Apple putting their logo on their phones? How does the name district from the interface? When I use my phone I look at the screen, not the logo above it
Sign In or Register to comment.