Former Apple exec and Palm chief Jon Rubinstein leaves HP

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Maybe, like his boss of yore, he'll find leaving HP was the best thing that could have happened to him.

Maybe he'll finally realize he's a great General in an Army but doesn't have the characteristics and vision to be it's leader.

He's flopped as a CEO 3 times.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Just to be clear -- my preference would be for apple to do this themselves, but if they don't want to dilute their focus for a smaller market like this, then I hope that they do license OSX so that this market can be served. They don't have to license OSX broadly, just to one or two "anointed" OEMs. And they should charge enough for the license that it's not economical for anyone to compete with them in the home market (maybe charge $200 per seat or something).

If Apple refuses to license, then perhaps someone like Rubenstein could start a company that builds an OS off of Darwin. For a server or high-end workstation target audience, it's not critical to have exactly the same UI as OSX. Just a thought...

OS X will never be licensed. Find another dream to embrace.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I would love to see Rubinstein join Tony Fadell at Nest! Get the band back together again and change the world.

That would be very cool! We'll see where he ultimately lands. BTW, loving my NEST T-Stat
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I wonder if RIM will court him at all.

A more likely scenario would be Rubinstein going to Google once the Motorola Mobility acquisition is complete.

Rubinstein is a hardware guy and would probably feel quite at home running the handset engineering team.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

OS X will never be licensed. Find another dream to embrace.

You're kind of a d!ck.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    What's with all the hate on Rubinstein?

Technology does not have to be commercially successful to be admired. WebOS is an elegant creation by Palm, all done in an astonishingly short amount of time (even given that it was based on Linux kernel) after Rubinstein took over in 2007. Given that he was essentially replacing a legend in Jeff Hawkins, this accomplishment was all the more remarkable.

When webOS was first released, it was more polished than Android's first version by a long shot, and arguably superior to iOS (at the time) in various features (particularly multitasking, syncing of contacts, notification, cloud-based syncing, etc.). I would be proud to leave such a legacy and hope it will live on.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What's with all the hate on Rubinstein?

He left Apple and worked on products that tried to compete with Apple. That makes him "evil" in the minds of some of the simpler life forms that infest discussion boards.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

You're kind of a d!ck.

If you think that hurts my feelings then you're kind of a wimp.

I'm just tired of this perpetual fantasy that Apple will license it's Operating System. The revoking of the license to 3rd parties was Steve's top priority when us at NeXT merged with Apple and he retained control to make decisions.

Perpetuating the idea that Apple will open up it's flag ship OS to 3rd parties is the same likelihood of you ever becoming the next Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

I think he should ask Apple for an OSX license and start a small company to build Pro workstations catering to academics, scientists, and graphics pros. Maybe also OSX servers.

It may be too small of a market for Apple to focus on, but I bet it could be a profitable market if done right.

Why would you even need to ask for a license? Just build the machine to OS X compatible configuration, either install windows or completely free of OS. Users can choose to install OSX on it themselves. Since he would then be selling a "Wintel" machine, Apple can't go after him for violation of copy right.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Why would you even need to ask for a license? Just build the machine to OS X compatible configuration, either install windows or completely free of OS. Users can choose to install OSX on it themselves. Since he would then be selling a "Wintel" machine, Apple can't go after him for violation of copy right.

You can't sell a PC sans OS, thanks to Microsoft. And users can't install OSX themselves as the installer does a check to see what type of Apple comput it is. If the installer doesn't recognise the hardware the installer will quit. But this all has happened before, and look where that went.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You can't sell a PC sans OS, thanks to Microsoft.

So? I can't buy components, build a computer, and then sell it to someone? without also buying Windows and installing it?
  • Reply 52 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So? I can't buy components, build a computer, and then sell it to someone? without also buying Windows and installing it?

When Dell started selling PC's with Linux pre-installed, around 1998 I believe, Microsoft sued, and won, the case where they made Dell and other computer manufactures sell their PC's with an OS installed. Didn't have to be Windows.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

When Dell started selling PC's with Linux pre-installed, around 1998 I believe, Microsoft sued, and won, the case where they made Dell and other computer manufactures sell their PC's with an OS installed. Didn't have to be Windows.

Oh, for businesses. Got it.