Samsung looks to replicate Apple's advertising thunder [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    So Samsung's thinking is: If you walk up to a line of people waiting to get into the hottest restaurant in town and hand them a McDonald's coupon, not only will they feel like idiots for waiting on line but people who see this will decide that restaurant wasn't all that great after all, and also head to McDonald's.

Yeah, good luck with that.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    So if the USA is obsessed with Apple - the answer is to make fun of Apple? Not smart, Samsung!

Apple won by being they best they could be, not by trying to out do Microsoft. Samsung should be the best they can be. And the rubber has to meet the road. Who cares what ads they put out. They need a product you can actually purchase and use that is awesome. Samsung doesn't even have their own OS like Apple does. So what can Samsung really do besides promote someone ELSE's operating system? In a company's heart and soul, you just cannot promote someone else's stuff with the same spirit you can promote your own.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Branding is very important, and it's never going to happen with a name and logo like "Samsung"...

Logo, I agree, name? Could work.

But the product names. SUCK!! And they need to strong arm the carriers for one (USA) it shouldn't be:

"Hey I got the new Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch 4G what do you have?"

"Oh I have the AT&T 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket"

No one will care about that.

And the iPhone line waiter mocking commercials aren't trying to attract those who would be in line.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Wow. Many of you do not realize that these ads are working. Samsung nearly equaled Apple iOS in sales with 35million units. Clearly the ads are working. Ridiculing Apple iOS buyers waiting on line has touched a chord with the public. This will be fun to watch at Superbowl.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Wow. Many of you do not realize that these ads are working. Samsung nearly equaled Apple iOS in sales with 35million units. Clearly the ads are working. Ridiculing Apple iOS buyers waiting on line has touched a chord with the public. This will be fun to watch at Superbowl.

I'm sorry, where did you get your figures from?? Samsung don't report sales figures. Yet again you fail.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Let's see. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1235527.html

Yep. The ads are clearly working.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I'm sorry, where did you get your figures from?? Samsung don't report sales figures. Yet again you fail.

Since you won't bother to just Google it, here is one of the many hundreds of articles stating that figure.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/06/sam...rtphones-sold/
  • Reply 28 of 95
    I was wondering where Samsung's copycat culture had its origin.

For this interview was Ms. Lee dressed in an outfit similar to one of Lady Gaga's?
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Branding is very important, and it's never going to happen with a name and logo like "Samsung"...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Logo, I agree, name? Could work.

But the product names. SUCK!! And they need to strong arm the carriers for one (USA) it shouldn't be:

"Hey I got the new Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch 4G what do you have?"

"Oh I have the AT&T 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket"

No one will care about that.

And the iPhone line waiter mocking commercials aren't trying to attract those who would be in line.

The Logo... no impression -- I'd have to look it up... not worth the effort

The brand name...maybe -- see below *

The product name... LOL what are they thinking -- It's an iPhone, Beemer, Corvette, T-Bird, Dusey... those are product names... (as opposed to spec sheets)

* as to the brand name -- every time I hear the name spoken, it reminds me of this -- which was quite popular in its day:

Sticks in your brain

• Reply 30 of 95
    Quote:

What? WHAT?

Is Sammy going to run an ad making fun of those waiting in line to get into the Superbowl?

Good idea, that!

Let's see... If I ridicule and embarrass you in public... will you be... won't you be my friend?

• Reply 31 of 95
    You love Apple, you love Samsung. No no no no no no no. You hate Apple, you love Samsung. No, that not good too. Let see:

Think Differently. Samsung.

Hears to the crazy ones. Samsung.

iMac. iPhone. iPad. Samsung.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MIVE View Post

You have been samsunged.... Pondering about that. What it really means is: you have been copied.

To samsung, that should be another phrase for "to rip off".

Excellent

If your iPhone happens to get samsunged, use "Where's My iPhone" and "Remote Wipe" before the samsung has a chance to samsung any of your personal data.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Since you won't bother to just Google it, here is one of the many hundreds of articles stating that figure.

Yep. According to your source, Samsung sold 35 M smartphones in the 4th quarter.

Apple sold 37 M smarthpones.

So tell me again how the ad is working?
  • Reply 34 of 95
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Samsung really has it's act together. Let's bash people for buying a quality product that's not ours (which makes us look like a bunch of miserable wannabe posers) and then *force* people to buy our product with ads because, you know, the public are just mindless sheep that will do what we tell them to do (especially if we give the crap away for free that we make except for the ones with the actual up-to-date OS on them). Let's not focus on making anything innovative, let alone anything that is user-focused because we are a profit driven and clueless corporation that thinks our poo poo don't phew phew.

Did I peg it?
  • Reply 35 of 95
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

But I thought that Samesung sold more smartphones than Apple in the previous quarter. They're slipping! Samsung is doomed!

Oh, and iOS sales are much more than 35m - 35m is iPhones alone.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Unfortunately Apple's success is derived from being a market leader in terms of innovation, not advertising. Samsung can certainly replicate Apple's branding, advertising, product designs, and so on, but Samsung cannot overtake Apple because it cannot replicate Apple's history of market disruption, nor its rate of innovation.* Apple's success stems from its corporate culture; Samsung is cultivating a copyist culture, and that means that Samsung will always follow, and Apple will continue to lead.

*Note: don't confuse innovation (Apple) with invention(Samsung).
  • Reply 37 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:

hey slappy, these are estimates. Samsung stopped releasing actual numbers. Find an actual press release by Sammy.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The Logo... no impression -- I'd have to look it up... not worth the effort

The brand name...maybe -- see below *

The product name... LOL what are they thinking -- It's an iPhone, Beemer, Corvette, T-Bird, Dusey... those are product names... (as opposed to spec sheets)

* as to the brand name -- every time I hear the name spoken, it reminds me of this -- which was quite popular in its day:

Sticks in your brain

exactly...I swear these telecoms and OEMs do not live in the modern world.

PS. Those were real product names. lol
  • Reply 39 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder if Samsung will give out stickers with its logo on it with every product it ships.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    can we stop responding to Slapppy? He derails every conversation ALL THE TIME with his bullshit...true or not, partially true or not, lie or not, it's all pointless.