Amazon "defined and dominated" low-end tablet market with 6 million Kindle Fires

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    Some items which might affect the Amazon Kindle Fire program:

1. The Kindle Fire is "US only".

2. ? because the Amazon Prime program is "US only".

3. The Amazon MP3 Store is "US only".

4. ? and has been such since it opened c.2008.

5. Amazon does not have a coherent cross-border product delivery program.

Amazon's sparking success with the Fire has been "US only". Improvements to its web-store, being based on the Kindle Fire store, should help the sales of other Android tablets profiting from the absence of the Fire.

Cheers
  • Reply 102 of 126
    Again another useless article that talks about shipped kindles and does not give you sold ones. The 15millions iPads were "Sold". When you Amazon can put up real "Sold" Numbers like apple does then we will talk. Untill then these numbers are being pulled out of someones backside oraface and as such dont mean a thing, and are totally worthless.
  • Reply 103 of 126
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Again another useless article that talks about shipped kindles and does not give you sold ones. The 15millions iPads were "Sold". When you Amazon can put up real "Sold" Numbers like apple does then we will talk. Untill then these numbers are being pulled out of someones backside oraface and as such dont mean a thing, and are totally worthless.

More importantly, it's just a guess rather than factual information. And it does not fit with the factual information that Amazon released (1 M Kindles of ALL types per week). Maybe Amazon will surprise everyone and give out real figures tomorrow at their earnings report...... but I doubt it.

Oh, and btw, it also says nothing about profitability. If Amazon really is losing money on every unit sold, that's a huge drain on the business.
  • Reply 104 of 126
    Why doesn't Amazon release sales figures?? Every company on Wall Street has to reveal numbers. I hope they will come under pressure to support their claims. If you read the Amazon Kindle Fire's reviews you can see around 25% are given a 1 and there are lots of references to returns so even though they sold a few million give or take, what % were returned?? I think if I sold a product that had a successful launch and sold say 4 million units, I'd be proud of that number and position it as a success to shareholders, customers, partners, and the media. Something doesn't add up
  • Reply 105 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corbettaa View Post

Why doesn't Amazon release sales figures?? Every company on Wall Street has to reveal numbers.

No, they don't. No real Android numbers have ever been posted by anyone.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Until Amazon tells us the actual numbers, your comment is strictly your opinion, which is not based on any verifiable facts.

Rabid Apple fanboys don't care about facts. They just won't believe them anyway. It is a very convenient defense mechanism to support their low self esteem that is tied to Apple products.
  • Reply 107 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Rabid Apple fanboys don't care about facts. They just won't believe them anyway. It is a very convenient defense mechanism to support their low self esteem that is tied to Apple products.

I'm sorry, are you insinuating there are actual numbers put out by Android sellers or are you just using a blatant lie to insult virtually everyone here?
  • Reply 108 of 126
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Until Amazon tells us the actual numbers, your comment is strictly your opinion, which is not based on any verifiable facts.

I don't know if Amazon will release sales figures or not.

For what is is worth my KF's version number is; 6.2.2_user_3205xxx and my son's is 6.2.2_user_5173xxx. i can' t check my daughter's till she gets home. (last 3 digits redacted)

Mine was ordered in the middle of November and my kids' were ordered on Dec. 28.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I was at Target over the weekend. They had over 20 iPads in the case. Those were not SOLD, yet they were shipped. When will they be SOLD, who knows. Since when do people do electronics shopping at Target anyway? Yet, all the fanboys around here are content to consider it SOLD, when it hasn't been.
  • Reply 110 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

I was at Target over the weekend. They had over 20 iPads in the case. Those were not SOLD, yet they were shipped. When will they be SOLD, who knows. Since when do people do electronics shopping at Target anyway? Yet, all the fanboys around here are content to consider it SOLD, when it hasn't been.

Not sure what you mean. Apple released the # of iPads sold in ether quarter. That is fact. When has Amazon ever revealed the number of Kindle's sold? We know over 15M iPads were sold. We have no idea how many Fires were sold. It's just analysts guessing. And of course every guess they throw out there gets reported as a hard number, not a guess.
  • Reply 111 of 126
    Quote:

Yet, all the fanboys around here are content to consider it SOLD, when it hasn't been.

Oh. I'm sorry. It sounds like you have absolute proof that those iPads were counted as sold when they actually weren't.

Now if you'd be so kind as to produce this proof for us 'fanboys', we'll start baking our humble pie.
  • Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm sorry, are you insinuating there are actual numbers put out by Android sellers or are you just using a blatant lie to insult virtually everyone here?

Whatever works for you is fine with me.
  • Reply 113 of 126
    Quote:

Whatever works for you is fine with me.

No, I'd like an actual answer. Do you have any proof or source for your statements anywhere? Is there a repository of real numbers of Android devices somewhere that everyone else has missed?

Or some proof that those iPads in Target that you saw were counted by Apple as sold instead of shipped. That would also be acceptable.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I love the way that fandroids live in some alternate reality.

Apple releases actual sales numbers - and those are the numbers that Apple fans quote. None of the Android suppliers (except Motorola for tablets, IIRC) reports sales figures. Instead, we get things like 'smooth' for sales. Or a number like "1 million a week" but that covers at least 4 different products so it's impossible to say how many any one product sold. And the fandroids are OK with that lack of details.

Yet the fandroids argue that Apple fans don't care about facts.
  • Reply 115 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I'd like an actual answer. Do you have any proof or source for your statements anywhere? Is there a repository of real numbers of Android devices somewhere that everyone else has missed?

Or some proof that those iPads in Target that you saw were counted by Apple as sold instead of shipped. That would also be acceptable.

Why do you even bother, with these people. Do you think you're going to get an informed, serious response?

It's laughable --sad, really -- to watch them create their own reality and live in it.

Talk about an RDF......
  • Reply 116 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why do you even bother, with these people. Do you think you're going to get an informed, serious response?

No, but guests reading here and seeing their posts go unchallenged could take that as a sign they're telling the truth. I don't really want that.

Only in the most egregious of cases is it 'feeding the trolls', and those people are often quickly dealt with.
  • Reply 117 of 126
    I'm already seeing people (here and elsewhere) defend the Kindle Fire as a loss leader. Just declaring something a loss leader doesn't automatically defend any questionable financial decisions in the pricing of a product.

And more to the point, Amazon already had a lot of Kindle users out there prior to the Fire so you have to question if the costs of selling something like the Fire really will be offset by sales of content. They were already making money off the content without the Fire so the logical question is why produce a loss leader at that stage? It seems Amazon assumes customers will buy significantly more content with the Fire than they bought with previous Kindles. I'm not sure why they would.
  • Reply 118 of 126
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I'm already seeing people (here and elsewhere) defend the Kindle Fire as a loss leader. Just declaring something a loss leader doesn't automatically defend any questionable financial decisions in the pricing of a product.

And more to the point, Amazon already had a lot of Kindle users out there prior to the Fire so you have to question if the costs of selling something like the Fire really will be offset by sales of content. They were already making money off the content without the Fire so the logical question is why produce a loss leader at that stage? It seems Amazon assumes customers will buy significantly more content with the Fire than they bought with previous Kindles. I'm not sure why they would.

Let's see. Speculation about the numbers of Kindle Fires sold is to be ridiculed due to the lack of actual numbers, but the fact that Amazon is losing money on each Kindle Fire sold based on an estimate from iSupply is gospel.
  • Reply 119 of 126
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

why would you be worried anyway? apple is not the 'underdog' or even the 'misfit' anymore. it is the new Disney and HP

How about the new Exxon and GM?
  • Reply 120 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Historically, Apple releases new updates (even massive updates) at the previous price points. When the iPod Video came out, was it more expensive than the previous model? Was the iPod touch significantly more expensive than the iPod Video? No to both.

I could easily see Apple releasing an iPod touch at 6", keeping the same price points. Component prices have fallen, and the iPod touch is currently overpriced (I mean, it's a 3.5" device; a 10" iPad only costs about twice as much). Even if it went up a little bit, a $249 or $279 6" iPod touch would hurt the Kindle.

Question is, would they keep the current iPod touch around and drop it to $149 for an 8GB version?

The 8GB iPhone 3GS is $349 unlocked. Basically an iPod Touch with the phone chips. That's without a retina display and without a front-facing camera. That comparison shows that the Touch is at an aggressive price point. The new iPhones are $200, yes, but that's subsidized. So I don't think component costs are that low enough to get a Touch Pro at $249-$279. Not with the margins Apple wants to keep.

If they are going with an iPod Touch Pro at 6"-7" I don't see them decommissioning the original Touch line by not releasing new features and higher sized drives. Prospective customers that want the portability of the Touch would potentially be lost if they could only get an 8GB version.